Religious Pluralism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religious Pluralism

How do you think about the impact of pluralism on your beleifs? What about upon religion in general? On other religions?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Religious Pluralism

If I understand correctly, are you asking how I feel about other belief systems existing alongside my own?

Perfectly fine with it. I'm an omnist, so I believe all paths are valid--they're just not all right for everyone.

As far as everyone else, I think we could solve a lot of problems in this world could come to terms with the fact that not everyone believes the same damn thing. Not even the same religion as a whole believes the same thing as every sect. As Adam Ferrara put it, "really hardcore religious people who can't accept someone else's non-violent code of conduct are dangerous to society".
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I used to believe that everyone's destination was the top of the mountain, and there are many roads to get you there. But I no longer believe everyone wants to get to the top of the mountain. It's not even necessarily the only and correct goal. Whatever road anyone travels to get them to their own destination is valid.
      śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
      śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I like what this says:

True knowledge of religion breaks down the barriers between Faith and Faith. Cultivation of tolerance for other Faiths will impart to us a true understanding of our own. Tolerance obviously does not disturb the distinction between right and wrong, or good and evil.

attributed to Gandhi
        A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
        --Albert Einstein

Comment

There is only one certainty in life, and that is death. Everything else just keeps things from being boring. I think religious pluralism is an awesome example of human diversity, and something to be celebrated and learned from.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

As much as I may not agree with one standpoint or another, there is always wisdom to be gleaned from the perceptions and viewpoints of others, so if for no other reason this makes pluralism a good thing in my book.

Aside from that, pluralism's impact on religion in general is strained to say the least, but perhaps that is a good thing. It keeps any religion from becoming too stagnant without repercussion. Religions and faiths change and alter as the cultural tide shifts (even now in Ireland, many folks are leaving the Catholic church for other religions due to a stagnation of the church there or are mixing aspects of other religions into their own), and this will either drive out religions which cannot grow and expand with time or incite them to change and improve with time. The ability for faiths to transform, absorb parts of other faiths and then perceive them through their own lenses helps to broaden the total scope of human understanding.

On my beliefs personally, pluralism seeps in here and there, although I like to focus my attention on one pantheon, I find certain aspects of other faiths flavor my beliefs here and there.

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
            I used to believe that everyone's destination was the top of the mountain, and there are many roads to get you there. But I no longer believe everyone wants to get to the top of the mountain. It's not even necessarily the only and correct goal. Whatever road anyone travels to get them to their own destination is valid.
            Agreed, although perhaps it is not even the destination that is important (at least to everyone), but the road itself being traveled. Faiths and religions connect and branch and intertwine altogether like many paths on a plain, stretching endlessly outwards and one can walk a straight line or a loopdiloop if it serves them best.

Comment

As long as pizza production isn't threatened, mortal beliefs are mortal beliefs and not generally my concern. If pizza production lags then select culling might be required.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                As long as pizza production isn't threatened, mortal beliefs are mortal beliefs and not generally my concern. If pizza production lags then select culling might be required.
                I was thinking of starting an anti-pizza faith, what do you think MO?

Also pluralism is A-OK with me. As long as the people I'm bumping elbows with don't try and kill me, I tend to tolerate them.
                White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                sigpic
                In Days of yore,
                From Britain's shore
                Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                And planted firm Britannia's flag
                On Canada's fair domain.
                Here may it wave,
                Our boast, our pride
                And joined in love together,
                The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                  I was thinking of starting an anti-pizza faith, what do you think MO?
                  That after you do all the hard work of drawing all the other heretics out of hiding, I'll reward you by not eating your soul when I eat their souls. :cthulhu:
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

From what I remember, pluralism is acceptance of other ideas beside my own. I think it comes into action by mixing gods in Kemetism both into the faith and outside of it in different eras. That explains how some of the gods, like Bes, exist in more than one pantheons. How about other religions, I dunno...
                    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      There is only one certainty in life, and that is death. Everything else just keeps things from being boring. I think religious pluralism is an awesome example of human diversity, and something to be celebrated and learned from.
                      I believe this as well. I also believe all religions that have deities are not true to me. And believing that should not put me in the basement of human worth.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I do not believe that all paths are valid; I can bring forth the example of the Aztec faith and how decadent it had become in it's later period (to the point that the Aztecs believed that if humans were not sacrificed the sun would not come out anymore). One thing is believing what you want to believe and another is enganging in inherently destructive behaviors such as human sacrifice.

That said, I am open to the idea that many deities exist and I am open to the idea that I will likely never met the vast majority of them just as I am unlikely to met the vast majority of people on Earth. I also acknowledge that people have different means of worshipping (or not worshipping) and I respect those faiths I do not agree with on theological grounds such as Christianity (even in cases where the believers themselves are following their own faith the wrong way such as my family), or even atheists and agnostics since I come from similar backgrounds.

Comment

Working...
                        X