Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change is inveitable...

How have you changed over the years?

In your appearance? Your presentation of yourself? Your interests? Your beliefs? Your goals? Your activities?

How have you stayed the same?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Change is inveitable...

I always say, "change is inevitable. Either you change yourself, or it will change you". And I have changed a lot over the years

I've lost almost 70lbs in the last year and change, so my appearance has changed. My hair was very long (to my ass), but I cut it short. I used to have a terrible temper when I was younger, which I've not completely defeated, but I've brought it a lot under control. I dressed goth when I was younger, but I stopped once I started working at places that wouldn't allow it. I still would on my days off, but I'm lazy now. I used to walk with my head down--now I make sure to walk with my head up, and shoulders back, with purpose.

I was a Christian growing up, so my beliefs have definitely changed, and continue to evolve. I've become more social over the years, as I'm finding groups I'm a part of and want like-minded people to talk to. My goals have changed because of my health issues--now, I just want to feel normal again.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I don't think we stay the same, even if we don't notice the changes.
      I have changed a lot. I've started finding myself in every aspect of my life, and trying to please noone but myself. I've always had anxiety looking back, I've just figured it out and started working on it. I have gained a lot of confidence in my self.
      I have started pursuing my dreams and I'm working on not just shooting them down. But I'm still learning patience..
      I have gained a little weight in the past year, I've out grown some of my clothes, which is a good thing 'cause I'm pretty underweight. But I look much the same as I did when I was 15. My style has changed, I wear colours a lot now because I'm not scared of being noticed. I used to wear all black.
      I have taken a strong interest in the norse pantheon, and I've started to do serious rune work... I also started painting and drawing, and I'm actually pretty good... that's new.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I have, over the years, become heavier, wider, shorter (well, a bit) and comprehensively knackered due to a variety of bizarre and obscure health problems.
        That said, I always wanted to write and publish, even when I was very young. And I did achieve those things.

But...
        I also wanted to be a ballerina. *blushes* No chance.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I've changed fundamentally. I used to have a sincere loathing for most people. However, my best friend changed me over the course of a year. I changed from a bitter, cold, hateful, self-righteous, arrogant, manipulative jerk to a warm, kind, loving person. I just want to say thank you to my best friend. You've really done a lot for me, and I will never forget what you did.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

In your appearance? Your presentation of yourself? Your interests? Your beliefs? Your goals? Your activities?

I try to grow older with dignity. I am not materialistic but I like to present myself well and I always smell good. Like a cat I clean up well. I am a musician at heart... the deep thinker came after. I believe that we are one. Enlightenment. All that is

For me the song has remained the same.

Great question.

Without going out the door, you can know the ways of the world.
            Without looking out your window, you can see the Way of Heaven.
            The farther you go, the less you know.
            Thus the Sage knows without travelling, sees without looking, does without doing.

Comment

My friends are gone and my hair is gray, I ache in the places where I used to play, and I'm crazy for love, but I'm not coming on...
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                My friends are gone and my hair is gray, I ache in the places where I used to play, and I'm crazy for love, but I'm not coming on...
                Sorry about that, B. de.

Comment

I've become happier, more comfortable in my beliefs, more sure of what I want out of my life at the moment and all that. I've become a more accepting person due to the wonders of the internet age and the enlightening powers it has.

Other than that I haven't changed in a long time. I like what I like and dislike what I dislike generally. I like to think I'm a good balance of old fashioned and progressive.
                  White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                  sigpic
                  In Days of yore,
                  From Britain's shore
                  Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                  And planted firm Britannia's flag
                  On Canada's fair domain.
                  Here may it wave,
                  Our boast, our pride
                  And joined in love together,
                  The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                  The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I've "grown up" so to speak. Spending two years where the closest family member besides your spouse was over 10 hours away has a wayof doing that, and I am grateful for it. I think I'm more humble, more understanding, and more willing to take a second and think.

I am still driven, hard working, and determined. My temper though is a little slower to catch and I laugh more. I am the same height I was at 13 however my weight has changed a few times. I am still opinionated and have a small problem with knowing I'm always right.

The world is ever changing if I'm not willing to change and grow then I shall be left in the dust, I'd much rather keep changing and learning.
                    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

How have I changed? I used to be a weak doormat with victim splashed across my forehead. Guess you can say I'm not that way anymore.

This digresses a bit. When I first started following Marilyn Manson it was for one real reason. I admired how he took what he was and reinvented himself into what he wanted to be. Who he saw himself as inside. We all carry that person with us on a daily basis. But it takes a lot of guts to actually go through with it. Because those characteristic we thrive on the inside don't have consequences inside. It's all Marvel universe in there. But to be the way you want to be on the outside and suffer those consequences is tough.

So with that and The Satanic Witch book under my belt, I went and made myself into what I see myself inside...Medusa.

I've pretty much been an Atheistic Satanist since 15 and I'm going on 44 this year. My beliefs are harder then they were before. They are stronger. Can be said with conviction and no trace of shake in my voice. But with that confidence and comfort in my belief system also comes a calmness and peace that I enjoy. I'm done fighting against who I want to be. I'm finally in that space that it's ok for me to be exactly as I am. And therefore I don't bother people who are doing the same I guess. I'm less militant and more knowledgeable.

Oh man activities. More room for them! When I was in my 20s and 30s I was an avid mosh pit gal. In it with the boys shoving my way through. As years went on I was like 'let's sit up here where we can hold our martinis in our glass and enjoy the show!'. I still love art. I still love people watching. I still love animals. I still love a bit of everything.

And I still hate people in general.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by LearningMan View Post
                        Sorry about that, B. de.
                        Meh.

It's the reward of a fair and caring universe for the stubborn refusal to die young.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Does no one listen to Cohen round here...we all are back on Boogie street.

- - - Updated - - -

also "Dance me to the end of love"

- - - Updated - - -

And one of my very favorites.
                          "Here it is"
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The younger me would hate who I've become. I am completely different to who I was in my teens and early-mid twenties. From the age of 14 I was a bit of a rocker. In my late teens and early twenties, it was all about punk and ska for me. I was practically inseparable from my skateboard (although my misshapen chin tells a different story >.<) and very opinionated about music. I absolutely hated the colour pink, and anything girly. I refused to wear skirts in fact, opting for vest-tops and massive baggies. I had a lot of male friends, but I was really grossed out at the thought of dating a man, being exclusively lesbian for 6 years. I would never have imagined I'd go on to have FOUR heterosexual relationships in my adult life. Then into my adult live, I was fairly active on the rock scene, with quite a wide friendship circle and had a presence on the pagan scene, being the organiser of a local moot, as well as a devoted coven member.

It was that German guy I dated, Gattsu, that started off the change I think. I must have been in a vulnerable place at the time, because I just latched onto him like some pathetic schoolgirl. He was a massive nerd and into manga and anime, so I played up the fact I'd lived in Japan and knew a bit Japanese (a tiny bit, and I wasn't studying it, because German was more immediately important to me), to impress him. That started a switch in style too, as I started trying to dress like the girls in anime, thinking that's what he'd like.

By the time the Gattsu thing was over and I was on a flight back to the UK, the ball had already started rolling. I moved in with a friend from work who was a real Barbie doll type; bleached blond hair, false eye lashes, fake tan, plastic nails, fake boobs.. A very pretty girl; bit of an airhead but with a good heart. She loved all things pink. All her bath things were pink, cleaning items.. towels, blanket.. it was just pink, everywhere you looked. One day I came home and she was sat on the sofa opening a Hello Kitty activity pack that came with sweets, stickers and a book to colour in. She was 23 and colouring in! I could have thought that was tragic, but I just thought it was really sweet. I wanted to be like that, and be able to get joy out of something as simple as a kid's activity pack.

So.. I started collecting things with Hello Kitty on, and introduced a little bit of pink into my wardrobe. Then one night, I was out with my roommate and we ran into a group of young men. We started talking and I dropped into the conversation that I'd lived in Japan and know a bit of Japanese.. Suddenly, a guy who until then, hadn't said a word, suddenly muttered; 'ore mo nihongo, sukoshi shitte'ru zo' ('I also know a bit Japanese'; in colloquial Japanese). It was of course, JP. We exchanged numbers and the rest is history. Thing is, the girl he met that night, was this newer Jem, experimenting with the girlier side of life. Meeting JP rekindled my interest in Japanese, and I started studying again, made Japanese friends and founded the Japanese conversation group. Through this, I discovered Japanese fashion. Not the harajuku street style that Japan is so famous for, but what normal adult Japanese females wear when they're not suited up for the office; soft lines, mixed fabrics, neutral colours and lace.. so much lace..

So that's me now I guess. All grown up, somewhat fluent in Japanese, wearing sensible but slightly edgy clothes (that really don't go with my complexion), absolutely no active interest in music, but with a special place in my heart (or at least my desk), for pink and girly things.

Sometimes, I wonder if anything I've describe is the authentic 'me'.
                            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I wish I had changed... But probably I'm just the same whiny and far too dramatical ugly leftover kid from the kindergarten.

I've gathered some unnecessary skills along the years, not much else. I'm still interested in similar kind of things that were fascinating to me as a child. Details may have changed, not the core. I don't believe in a kind of unchangeable true self as some kind of a personality so I hope that one day I'd be a proper human... see, I said I was/am dramatical!
                              baah.

Comment

Working...
                              X