Books for begginers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books for begginers

I'm looking for a list of good books for someone just starting to learn about Asatru. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Books for begginers

Both the Prose and Poetic Edda's are the best place to start
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
    sigpic

Comment

A Practical Heathen's Guide to Ásatrú - Patricia M. Lafayllve.
      The Norse Myths - Kevin Crossley-Holland.
      Essential Ásatrú - Diana L. Paxson.
      śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
      śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

You can also go and pick up the Daily Asatru phone app. It's only like $2, and has the Havamal, the Volupsa, gives a little blurb about upcoming holidays, and also has a random daily rune generator.
        "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

I second 'Essential Asatru' by Diana Paxson as one of the best books for beginners. I also like 'Teutonic Magic' by Kveldulf Gundarsson, 'Northern Myths and Magic' by Freya Aswynn and 'Exploring the Northern Tradition' by Galina Krasskova as a good range of introductory books that cover the spectrum of Heathen and NT ideas.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think the Edda are actually NOT a good place to start for most people. Most people get more out of the Edda if they have a bit of background under their belts first. So unless you are academically minded or really love old literature, I'd recommend reading one or two introductory books first.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
            Contrary to popular opinion, I think the Edda are actually NOT a good place to start for most people. Most people get more out of the Edda if they have a bit of background under their belts first. So unless you are academically minded or really love old literature, I'd recommend reading one or two introductory books first.
            I agree - Thorbjorn's recommendation of Kevin Crossley Holland's 'The Norse Myths' is a good place to start, but I think it's a good idea to read the lore properly at some point.

Personally I'm not a great fan of Diana Paxson's book as I veer a bit more reconstructionist - it's a long time sInce I read it so I'm not going to be able to come up with a more coherent argument right now! I'm by no means totally recon, after all I'd recommend 'Our Troth 1&2' which full on reconstruction types I've known would dismiss, but I distinctly remember giving it the side eye. It's also worth pointing out to the OP that Northern Tradition is not Asatru (and I'm neither, just being Heathen). How useful are NT books to a newbie Asatruar? Given there are distinct differences.

OP There is a resources sticky in this sub forum which will have further recommendations.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh damn the edit period has passed. I was going to add recommendations for reading the history of the norse, anglo-saxons et al. The very short intro style history books might be a good place to start but H.E.Davidson is brilliant and I'm a big fan of Stephen Pollington on anglo saxon history.
            You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

This thread:

Post your favourite Heathen resources here! ;D Is there a mod with some glue around maybe? I'll kick it off with a couple... Books: Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley Holland The Poetic Edda, The Prose Edda, Beowulf and the Icelandic sagas in various translations. For a start! Many available on the web. Our Troth vols 1

Rather than the above mentioned "Teutonic Magic," I'd recommend "Teutonic Religion," also by Kveldulf Gundarrson (who is also the author of the Our Troth books, which I equally recommend). I agree with Maythe, not a huge fan of D. Paxson's works, but neither am I a fan of Steve McNallen.

www.heathengods.com has a large library with many free (legal) downloads.
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Tribe of my Tribe
              Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Maythe View Post
                How useful are NT books to a newbie Asatruar? Given there are distinct differences.
                Depends on the newbie.

When you are "just starting to learn" as the OP said, I think it's important to be exposed to the views of the entire spectrum of Heathen and NT in some basic way. Not everyone comes to Asatru knowing that Asatru is the path they want to follow, or even that there ARE different factions within the Heathen spectrum. How many of us started with Asatru and evolved out of it? I know I did.

So when I say that I like certain books as a good introduction covering the Heathen-NT range, I think they are all of value to the newbie, regardless of how traditionally Asatru they are. I'd include an Anglo Saxon book too, except that I've never read an introductory level Anglo Saxon book so I don't have any to recommend.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                This thread:

Post your favourite Heathen resources here! ;D Is there a mod with some glue around maybe? I'll kick it off with a couple... Books: Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley Holland The Poetic Edda, The Prose Edda, Beowulf and the Icelandic sagas in various translations. For a start! Many available on the web. Our Troth vols 1

Rather than the above mentioned "Teutonic Magic," I'd recommend "Teutonic Religion," also by Kveldulf Gundarrson (who is also the author of the Our Troth books, which I equally recommend). I agree with Maythe, not a huge fan of D. Paxson's works, but neither am I a fan of Steve McNallen.

www.heathengods.com has a large library with many free (legal) downloads.
                Teutonic Religion is really hard to get a hold of... or at least it used to be. When I wanted to buy it, it was about US$60 second hand! Rick, if you have a cheaper source let me know, 'cos I've been wanting a copy of this one to supplement my other Gundarsson books (I also love the two Our Troth books, though they aren't really 'beginner' books).

Heathen Gods is an invaluable site for free downloads. You can get a LOT of the academia, some of which is really tricky to find in print. I quite liked the 'Heathen Tribes' book by Mark Stitson as an intro level book.

Comment

I have to admit to being sceptical of any 101 book written for heathens as I find them long on woo and short on fact but, like I said, I'm recon influenced though not actually recon, so I would think that! I think the myths and history are the best places to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                    I'd include an Anglo Saxon book too, except that I've never read an introductory level Anglo Saxon book so I don't have any to recommend.
                    If you are after Anglo-Saxon books for beginners I highly recommend Travels Through Middle Earth: The Path of a Saxon Pagan by Alaric Albertsson. If you want more of a Theodist/Recon viewpoint, Path to the Gods: Anglo-Saxon Paganism for Beginners by Swain Wodening is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahvoo View Post
                      If you are after Anglo-Saxon books for beginners I highly recommend Travels Through Middle Earth: The Path of a Saxon Pagan by Alaric Albertsson. If you want more of a Theodist/Recon viewpoint, Path to the Gods: Anglo-Saxon Paganism for Beginners by Swain Wodening is great.
                      I have some Swain Wodening books on my wishlist, not because I'm interested in the Anglo Saxon side but because I'd like to round out my Heathen-spectrum texts. The one that seems most highly recommended is 'Hammer of the Gods', but I get the feeling that's not a base level intro book.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Maythe View Post
                      I have to admit to being sceptical of any 101 book written for heathens as I find them long on woo and short on fact...
                      I absolutely agree. But personally I think that this is actually what makes them a good place to start. The academia is really important, and once you have been well hooked you can put away all the 101 books and never look at them again because the academia and primary sources are what will help you better understand the path. But if we're being realistic, how many of us picked up an academic text FIRST, or were first drawn to a Heathen or NT path via an academic text? Not that many. I think the 101 books are usually better at firing up your passion for the path... which makes them a good starting place.

Of course, if you lack discernment or depth, then taking 101 books at face value can be detrimental to your path. But then, if you lack discernment and depth, you're unlikely to get far going straight into academia and primary sources, aren't you?

Comment

But if we're being realistic, how many of us picked up an academic text FIRST, or were first drawn to a Heathen or NT path via an academic text? Not that many.
                        You have some very good points and I think they point to a problem I've long pondered in Heathenry (and maybe the other historically based Paganisms too?) that the 'lore' and academic texts are difficult for a lot of people, and impossible for some, and these aren't people who should necessarily be excluded from Heathenry - after all our ancestors weren't all 'academic' either. The problem with the 101 texts remains though and surely leads to a whole lot of unlearning needing doing, and in some cases never happening but I don't know how we fix that in a situation where most people make their first steps alone, or only with online friends.

In ancient days no doubt it worked mostly through storytelling, and in some cases it can still work that way. My kindred and other local friends back in Essex had some lively storytelling events; they work to inform people of the myths, get them interested and they act as social glue too. There were almost always stories told at our blots and we had a few attendees who really didn't know very much at all and so they went away with a better understanding than they came with. I guess I'm arguing for more social connection (frith building ftw) instead of book knowledge for both newbies and those who are always going to open a copy of Beowulf and back away slowly. Unfortunately the loneliness of many modern Heathens is a problem there (myself included, having moved away from my kindred, stupid woman). As a grouchy, introverted misanthrope it can be easy to go 'bah! I don't need people' but sumble just isn't the same (is it even sumble alone?) without others there.

Huh this got a bit off track.

Comment

Although not a heathen, I do have some material (my book hoard has something on everything from medieval Cambodian armies to how to drive a steam engine...) - Kevin Crossley Holland, Hilda Ellis Davidson, and Patricia Lafayllve. Patricia's Practical heathen's guide to Asatru I find very impressive. She avoids Wiccanisms and fluff, tries to be objective, and is often amusing. Her advice on planning rituals is very good.

The linguist in me does wish she had more linguistic sensitivity, though: she pronounces Norse as if it were Icelandic (more complicated), mixes her languages (Sunna instead of Sól), and sometimes miss-spells (ettin has two Ts)! There - I feel better now!

I like re-tellings like Crossley Holland, because they've not only more reader-friendly than straight translations of medieval texts, but they're the way people used to learn the myths from their parents. I remember meeting the Greek Gods as a child with Tanglewood tales, though I can't remember where I first read of Thor's trip to Utgard at the same age.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
                            The linguist in me does wish she had more linguistic sensitivity, though: she pronounces Norse as if it were Icelandic (more complicated), mixes her languages (Sunna instead of Sól), and sometimes miss-spells (ettin has two Ts)! There - I feel better now!
                            She's not the only one. Since no one ever heard Old Norse, the closest approximation is Icelandic, using regular sound changes. Even then it's a crapshoot. According to one guide, Týr is supposed to be Tyeer; vé should be vyey; the au in draupnir should be ooie (like Louie). Others say Teer, vey, drowp (like house). There's no consistency. Btw, Sunna and Sól are different. Sunna is the Goddess, Sól is the sun herself.
                            śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                            śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

You could also look at "The Magical World of the Anglo-Saxons" - which is one of my books and available on Kindle (which is probably the cheapest way to buy although if you want the paperback just pm me). This deals almost exclusively with the heathen Anglo-Saxons and what we can discover about their beliefs and practices. I've referenced it properly so you can then do further research yourself.
                              Shameless plug, but never mind
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                              X