Books for begginers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Books for begginers

But if we're being realistic, how many of us picked up an academic text FIRST, or were first drawn to a Heathen or NT path via an academic text? Not that many.
    >.> I did. Sorry if that sounds like a bad thing...not really taking it as a personal attack so don't worry, but it actually is where I started. It was recommended for me because of it being the actual texts finally written and not just other people breaking them down, which is sometimes what certain people need and goes to the point that was made about "pagan 101 books" being really, REALLY bad sometimes.
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
      >.> I did. Sorry if that sounds like a bad thing...not really taking it as a personal attack so don't worry, but it actually is where I started. It was recommended for me because of it being the actual texts finally written and not just other people breaking them down, which is sometimes what certain people need and goes to the point that was made about "pagan 101 books" being really, REALLY bad sometimes.
      Me too. And there is something else I would add - that so much of what you will read will be in translation. Even if you don't feel like learning an ancient language (I learned Anglo-Saxon - takes time but well worth it), I would strongly recommend you at least read several different translations and compare them.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Maythe View Post
        You have some very good points and I think they point to a problem I've long pondered in Heathenry (and maybe the other historically based Paganisms too?) that the 'lore' and academic texts are difficult for a lot of people, and impossible for some, and these aren't people who should necessarily be excluded from Heathenry - after all our ancestors weren't all 'academic' either. The problem with the 101 texts remains though and surely leads to a whole lot of unlearning needing doing, and in some cases never happening but I don't know how we fix that in a situation where most people make their first steps alone, or only with online friends.

In ancient days no doubt it worked mostly through storytelling, and in some cases it can still work that way. My kindred and other local friends back in Essex had some lively storytelling events; they work to inform people of the myths, get them interested and they act as social glue too. There were almost always stories told at our blots and we had a few attendees who really didn't know very much at all and so they went away with a better understanding than they came with. I guess I'm arguing for more social connection (frith building ftw) instead of book knowledge for both newbies and those who are always going to open a copy of Beowulf and back away slowly. Unfortunately the loneliness of many modern Heathens is a problem there (myself included, having moved away from my kindred, stupid woman). As a grouchy, introverted misanthrope it can be easy to go 'bah! I don't need people' but sumble just isn't the same (is it even sumble alone?) without others there.

Huh this got a bit off track.
        Kindreds have their own biases, preferences and interpretations... oral information is not inherently any more accurate than written information... it's just the opinions of the group rather than a single individual.

My philosophy is this... if you read just one author or listen to just one person/group, then you only have that one opinion to inform you. But if you expose yourself to say, five authors then you can compare and contrast the opinions and are then better equipped to form your own. That's why I never recommend just one book... because there is no single one book which I believe is the best 101 beginners book. But if you read five, then you can see where all five are singing the same song, and where they are different.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
        And there is something else I would add - that so much of what you will read will be in translation. Even if you don't feel like learning an ancient language (I learned Anglo-Saxon - takes time but well worth it), I would strongly recommend you at least read several different translations and compare them.
        This brings me to a point about the Poetic Edda... the English translations are all slightly different, some fairly drastically so. So which one should a beginner go for? Well that's a whole other debate, isn't it? lol. Learning the original languages and reading the original manuscripts can be considered the BEST thing... but is it best for a BEGINNER? That's why we say read several different translations. But if you're a beginner and struggle to get through just one translation with no prior context to aid you, then what hope do you have of reading several?

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

This brings me to a point about the Poetic Edda... the English translations are all slightly different, some fairly drastically so. So which one should a beginner go for? Well that's a whole other debate, isn't it? lol. Learning the original languages and reading the original manuscripts can be considered the BEST thing... but is it best for a BEGINNER? That's why we say read several different translations. But if you're a beginner and struggle to get through just one translation with no prior context to aid you, then what hope do you have of reading several?
          Sometimes it's important to remember that different periods will produce a different emphasis here and there. Some of the more recent translations of the Old English Rune Poem for example, add in things that the earlier translations wouldn't have dreamed of. I don't have a problem with the different interpretations, but I do have a problem when people really go on a complete flight of fancy with absolutely nothing to back it up linguistically (mentioning no names here but I'm not the first to comment on this, I know).

Learning and studying is important if you want to do more than skim the surface. Not that there's anything wrong with skimming the surface when you're setting out and it's probably the best to just dig a bit here and there. But do be careful with some authors who will confidently assert things when there is nothing whatever to back it up.

There is no problem with going exploring within your tradition, and in fact I think it's a very good thing. But remember that nothing is certain. And the more certain a source is, the less weight I would give it.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
            Kindreds have their own biases, preferences and interpretations... oral information is not inherently any more accurate than written information... it's just the opinions of the group rather than a single individual.
            Absolutely and hearing different people tell the same tale can be as informative about the storyteller as it is about the story. I'm not saying oral versions of the stories are more accurate necessarily but they are at least alive. The problem of access to accurate information for those who aren't academic is a really difficult one and I don't think there are any easy answers.
            You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have been reading Scandinavian Mythology by H R E Davidson, and I'm requesting a few more books from the libraries around here, but it takes a week for the books to get here.

Where would be a good place to buy a good set of runes?

Comment

Originally posted by CountryHeathen View Post
                Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have been reading Scandinavian Mythology by H R E Davidson, and I'm requesting a few more books from the libraries around here, but it takes a week for the books to get here.

Where would be a good place to buy a good set of runes?
                Anywhere you can check that it's a proper set and hasn't mixed up the futhark/orc. My experience is that commercial sets aren't always a traditional Elder Futhark, or are sometimes carved with curved lines (which is actually true to some of the later historical runestone carvings but I don't personally like it for rune magick or divination).

Generally, the best set is one you make yourself. Contrary to popular recon opinion, it doesn't have to be a fancy set on special wood... you can draw them on bottle caps if you really want to (good way to recycle something that would otherwise be landfill). But there's nothing wrong with a bought set if you lack the confidence to make your own.

Comment

Working...
                X