Pop Culture Paganism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop Culture Paganism

Pop Culture Paganism is a relatively new "brand" of paganism, for lack of a better word. For those of you who don't know what it is, here is a rundown. A very basic explanation is using pop culture to shape your ideas and worship, but please read the link, as that leaves a lot out.

What do you think about this? How does the idea of pop culture paganism strike you?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Pop Culture Paganism

If it's crazy but works then either it isn't crazy or it's the awesome kind of crazy. If it doesn't work then why are you bothering? This principle applies beyond PCP.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      If it's crazy but works then either it isn't crazy or it's the awesome kind of crazy. If it doesn't work then why are you bothering? This principle applies beyond PCP.
      And not the drug.
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

It's not particularly my thing, but I've talked to a few people who put a lot of energy and time into learning about it and putting it to use (so to speak). Those I've talked to have said it's not entirely about the character per say, but they provide an image by which to attach the desired identity and thereby provide an easier focal point for whatever it is they're doing.

Sorry if that's confusing, I think my brain shut down a couple hours ago.

But it seems to work for some people, and I'm interested to see what others here think about it.

Comment

So,One could make Scubydoo into kinda a deity because he has come in contact with so many super natural things? And what of Thelma,and scrappydoo ???
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

If you worship a pop culture character then you are an idiot and I will call you out.
            The end.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'm wary about it, because a lot of fluffbunnies get what they know (or claim to, anyway) from stuff like "The Craft".

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                If you worship a pop culture character then you are an idiot and I will call you out.
                The end.
                Thank you Duce for the moment of clarity....
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The end.
                  Originally posted by PaganForum Mission Statement
                  We seek to provide a comfortable environment where our members can feel safe and may openly share any information without fear of religious intolerance.
                  Originally posted by PaganForum rules
                  2. Be courteous to your fellow members.
                  <snip>
                  5. Do not troll, bait, instigate fights, flame, attack or otherwise violate forum rules.
                  <snip>
                  9. If you disagree with anything, do so in a respectful manner. Do not spread drama over disputes or personal discord over multiple threads.
                  Remember the above. They've been there for years. There is no exemption if a member is named Medusa. You will abide by them within the boundaries of this forum or you will be ejected from this forum. If you have a problem with that then send a request for special treatment to Thal and Juni before you step into a ban. You are welcome to your issues with Pop Culture Paganism but if you attack one member of this forum for who they choose to worship then I will take that fight off their hands and you won't attack another.

For everyone: this is NOT open to public discussion. Don't start one. I don't give a damn what you do outside PF but if you think that a forum member's beliefs are silly enough to exempt them from the protections of site rules then start writing your appeals to Thal and Juni right now because once you act on those misguided beliefs, you will need them.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

I don't recall calling anyone an idiot. I thought this was a general discussion, not that someone was actually worshiping a pop culture character (as the link said). We were asked what we thought. It's my opinion. I can word it less meany if needed. Whatever floats your pizza boat.

Comment

I don't recall calling anyone an idiot. I thought this was a general discussion, not that someone was actually worshiping a pop culture character (as the link said). We were asked what we thought. It's my opinion. I can word it less meany if needed. Whatever floats your pizza boat.
                      You promised an action. I want you to be firmly aware that if you carry out that action in a manner that violates forum rules then I will hold you to account for that action. Should you choose to call people outside this forum idiots for their beliefs then that is on you. Should you choose to act on your first statement in this thread in a manner that violates forum rules toward say the two resident followers of the God Emperor of Man, toward V when she is particularly emulating a fictional pantheon, toward Thal if she decides to interface with Deity through a character from modern fiction as well as various Titans or toward any number of potential future members who may build their beliefs around fiction then you and I are going to have words and then I'm going to Ban you. If you don't intend to follow through on your promise to call people out for their choices on who to worship on PF then we won't have a problem related to this issue.

Comment

Well since you brought this up. Look, I'm not trying to go to war over something that is a sentence. I don't like long wordy stuff. So I'll just ask as to be very clear.

1. Are you asking me to change my opinion on this subject? Because that will never happen. And I have a feeling that's not what you are saying at all.

2. Are you asking me to change the way I word my opinion as to not be insulting to the 'outside' world. I have no idea who that is. Because f the outside world. For That dude who believes in the video game and to V, I do apologize. So if you want me to change my wording to be more sensitive to those, that can definitely happen.

3. I don't call out anyone until they ask the forum for their opinion. And I feel I'm part of this forum, even when I have the dissenting opinion. I try to not post in all those other threads out of respect, because I know the rules and where I actually am (a Pagan forum). But when asked 'hey, what do you think', well..I do think. Though like I said, I can post that opinion in a more sensitive way if needed.

So number 2?

Comment

I feel that creating a new and special snowflake title of "Pop Culture Paganism" is really sort of silly, when you come to think about it. In ancient Greece, it was "pop culture" to believe in and to worship Zeus and Apollo and the like, it was "pop culture" for the Norse to pray to Thor and Odin. You have to remember that back then, the myths, stories, legends, artwork, cave drawings, etc were their form on entertainment. Instead of turning on the TV and watching a show, they'd gather around and tell stories.

As much as at times I find myself thinking someone who says that they call upon My Little Ponies for help and guidance, you've got to wonder. For all we know, some Greek kids might have been playing by the water and decided to make up a game where the boy pretended to be a sea monster and tried to drag the girl into the water. Next thing you know, we've got Poseidon wanting virgin sacrifices to the Kraken.

I've always held the thought that gods, monsters, fairies, and all other sorts of beings are created and die every day. If you believe in something strongly enough, it becomes the truth, if only to you. That faith has power, and through it beings of thought and form are created. Once that belief fades away, so do those beings.

Comment

I appreciate being defended, and I appreciate the apology, but it is unnecessary. At the core of my belief, I believe in an ideal, and I have found that ideal to be emulated within a fictional character. I don't believe said fictional character is actually tangible and real, but that doesn't stop me from worshipping the idea.

To each their own. We find the divine in a thousand ways. Some would argue that holy texts are also fiction, and that God is a fictional character. Just from a much older novel...yet millions, if not billions of people worship him. And they're not idiots. I mean, I'm sure some of them are, but not for their belief.

And I know of a particular member who practically worships an X-Men character, so...what's that say about her?

Mostly art.

Comment

So number 2?
                              2 is close enough. I don't mind if you disagree with Pop Culture Paganism. You disagree with standard theism, why would I expect you to agree with pop culture paganism? My concern is that we have and will have members in the future who hold beliefs that you think are silly. We have a number of people I disagree with. You want to say you disagree? Cool. Just understand that there is, "I disagree" or "Yeah, I'm not a fan," (both of those are referencing ideas) and there's "Anyone who believes X is an idiot and I'll call them one". "Anyone who believes X is an idiot" is an attack on any number of members whose beliefs you aren't aware of and "I'll call them one" is a statement that you have no problem starting a flame war in a forum that expressly forbids such. I'll accept, "Pop Culture Paganism is silly" unless you push the point so aggressively that it can't be anything other than a provocation. I won't tolerate "You've based your religion on Superman. You're a f-ing moron"

See the distinction?
                              Last edited by MaskedOne; 11 Aug 2015, 21:36.

Comment

Working...
                              X