Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pop Culture Paganism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Pop Culture Paganism

Pop Culture Paganism is a relatively new "brand" of paganism, for lack of a better word. For those of you who don't know what it is, here is a rundown. A very basic explanation is using pop culture to shape your ideas and worship, but please read the link, as that leaves a lot out.

What do you think about this? How does the idea of pop culture paganism strike you?
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Re: Pop Culture Paganism

If it's crazy but works then either it isn't crazy or it's the awesome kind of crazy. If it doesn't work then why are you bothering? This principle applies beyond PCP.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    If it's crazy but works then either it isn't crazy or it's the awesome kind of crazy. If it doesn't work then why are you bothering? This principle applies beyond PCP.
    And not the drug.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Staroverci

It's not particularly my thing, but I've talked to a few people who put a lot of energy and time into learning about it and putting it to use (so to speak). Those I've talked to have said it's not entirely about the character per say, but they provide an image by which to attach the desired identity and thereby provide an easier focal point for whatever it is they're doing.

Sorry if that's confusing, I think my brain shut down a couple hours ago.

But it seems to work for some people, and I'm interested to see what others here think about it.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

So,One could make Scubydoo into kinda a deity because he has come in contact with so many super natural things? And what of Thelma,and scrappydoo ???
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

If you worship a pop culture character then you are an idiot and I will call you out.
    The end.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    If you worship a pop culture character then you are an idiot and I will call you out.
    The end.
    Thank you Duce for the moment of clarity....
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    The end.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaganForum Mission Statement
    We seek to provide a comfortable environment where our members can feel safe and may openly share any information without fear of religious intolerance.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaganForum rules
    2. Be courteous to your fellow members.
    <snip>
    5. Do not troll, bait, instigate fights, flame, attack or otherwise violate forum rules.
    <snip>
    9. If you disagree with anything, do so in a respectful manner. Do not spread drama over disputes or personal discord over multiple threads.
    Remember the above. They've been there for years. There is no exemption if a member is named Medusa. You will abide by them within the boundaries of this forum or you will be ejected from this forum. If you have a problem with that then send a request for special treatment to Thal and Juni before you step into a ban. You are welcome to your issues with Pop Culture Paganism but if you attack one member of this forum for who they choose to worship then I will take that fight off their hands and you won't attack another.

For everyone: this is NOT open to public discussion. Don't start one. I don't give a damn what you do outside PF but if you think that a forum member's beliefs are silly enough to exempt them from the protections of site rules then start writing your appeals to Thal and Juni right now because once you act on those misguided beliefs, you will need them.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

I'm wary about it, because a lot of fluffbunnies get what they know (or claim to, anyway) from stuff like "The Craft".

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

I don't recall calling anyone an idiot. I thought this was a general discussion, not that someone was actually worshiping a pop culture character (as the link said). We were asked what we thought. It's my opinion. I can word it less meany if needed. Whatever floats your pizza boat.
    Satan is my spirit animal