Pop Culture Paganism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pop Culture Paganism

I'm reopening this thread for a couple reasons. This concept is still really new in the pagan community, and I know lots of folks haven't heard of it. With all the activity and some newer people and as old as this thread is, I think it's worth a shot. Also, when this was first discussed, I hadn't really heard of this, but it opened up a whole other world for me.

I strongly believe that spirituality is something we build for ourselves. And that so long as we're making an effort to be a good person that's the most important thing. I also believe that any deities that exist out there are faces of archetypes (another idea I got from here I think) and that the faces we put on them don't particularly matter. I also realize that many pagan paths, even those reconstructing ancient traditions, have to be rebuilt for the modern world and so they are essentially new traditions, if they weren't completely modernly made up (Wicca).

So I don't have any problem drawing inspiration from fictional books or other pop-culture sources. Sometimes it's an image. Drawing from the Kushiel series for an image of a deity of justice as an example. But it's also been the spiritual feeling I get from a well-built world, like elements from the Black Jewel series influencing my sense of morals and ethics. Or the way I visualize magic.

Thoughts? (There are lots of good pages of reading in this thread as well)
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

this was a very old thread i think.

- - - Updated - - -

at least 2 years old
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I love literature - in the full sense of "literature is meaningful expression," rather than literature as " the recorded fantasies of dead white guys," so I see nothing even slightly odd or in appropriate it using contemporary stories to populate one's mythic landscape.

Really, IMHO, it's exactly what has always occurred, always, throughout human history.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          this was a very old thread i think.

- - - Updated - - -

at least 2 years old
          Three or four years old, more like. Which is part of the reason I decided to revive it. A lot can change in that time period.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            Really, IMHO, it's exactly what has always occurred, always, throughout human history.
            I agree. The pantheons as we still know them nowadays used to be a big part of pop cultures throughout history. Pop culture just means whatever is popular at the moment. So I think there's nothing wrong with involving parts of that pop culture into your beliefs.

I'm definitely not a pop culture pagan, but I do understand why some people are attracted to it. I know a Star Wars fan who works with the Force as a way to empower himself. IMO, and I hope I'm not offending anyone by saying so, I think it's no different than witches using magic. Everyone just calls it differently and uses their own deities, symbols and energies to achieve their goals.

Pop culture has changed the way I see certain things, escpecially because of movies. I just can't read through my Norse mythology books anymore without seeing Tom Hiddleston and Chris Hemsworth. But I do think that movie-Loki and movie-Thor are waaaaay different the actual gods Loki and Thor. So that image hasn't changed.

Comment

Working...
            X