Nuclear power. Yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear power. Yay or nay?

Should nuclear power continue to be developed as an alternate to fossil fuels?

Is it too dangerous, produce too much waste in it's own way, or can it be safely used, managed, etc.?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Nuclear power. Yay or nay?

No. Fukushima has not yet been contained. Humans are too short-sighted, greedy, and ignorant to manage nuclear power.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

After Fukushima - brought about by a tsunami - Japan closed it's 48 nuclear power plants and began importing fossil fuels (natural gas and coal) to replace the energy.

Japan is now beginning to reopen those reactors...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The main problem with Nuclear power plants is shoddy building. Contractors cutting corners. One plant in California was shut down before it even put out one watt of power,that because a whistle blower told of sub standard materials used even though the contract had double safety standards built in....I am not a big fan of Nuclear plants(the concern of waste disposal of the spent rods) but using substandard materials is a large concern.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think it can be managed safely. The US uses it in both various areas of the civilian sector and a lot of naval vessels without much incident (too my knowledge). I do think that any nation to allow it needs to have a very comprehensive list of safety regulations concerning how each plant is built and maintained along with how waste is handled. The enforcement arm of those regulations also needs to be monitored carefully for corruption and have both the manpower to monitor nuclear power and the teeth to make sure that anyone planning to take shortcuts regrets that idea. If the government is willing to write up sufficient regulation on the matter and empower people to enforce that regulation then I have no problem with nuclear power. In the absence of such regulation and enforcement, it's a time bomb waiting to go off.
          "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
          ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Yes.

We've been using to to power floating cities without major incident* for decades.

The caveat to this is that I don't think it should be in the hands of private companies--problems arise when its about profits first rather than safety. Also, oversight should be both internal and external--internal oversight should be handled by an independent review branch of the resonsible organization and external oversight should be by a completely different organization.

Also, I think that similar work practices to what the people that already run power plants on floating (and submerging) cities already use...which means that repairs and work take more time and money than they would when a private company does them, but are held to a higher standard of material and personel (and ultimately environmental) safety and have far more check and balances in the system to prevent major incidents*.

* BTW, what you or I likely consider a "major incident" is much different that what the regulatory authorities consider a "major incident". An almost "near miss" (for example, a mistake on a label or a dyslexic database moment that gets caught) is considered a "major incident" to them.
            “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
            ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
            ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

By floating city, are you talking Aircraft Carriers or something bigger?
              "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
              ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                Aircraft Carriers
                ^these

(also things considerably smaller--submerging villages?)
                “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Various subs that like to exist all over the place terrifying everyone
                  ―Thon

Yoda

Comment

There was a program of remote controlled Helicopters(mini) that carried small asrocs(anti sub rockets) with Nuk tips.
                    http://www.gyrodynehelicopters.com/t...ailed_dash.htm

I was a witness to a test on a Destroyer Tender in the 1960's,it did not go well,it flipped in mid flight in the open pacific and went down with the rockets never to be seen again.

A pic of a dash unit.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Yay-ish.

They're a necessary evil. If we'd wanted to do without nuclear power we should have been making changes to our energy infrastructure and usage patterns about thirty years ago. We couldn't be arsed with that and so now it's nuclear power or no lights. If we get our arses in gear it (maybe?) could be a temporary necessary evil but I'm not seeing a great appetite for that.
                      You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Nobody concerned about toxic waste?

Comment

^^^ That's what I was referring to in my first post in this thread, re: Fukushima.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            Nobody concerned about toxic waste?
                            Err, I directly mentioned it as part of the very long list of safety regs to be enforced by a government body empowered to discourage people from taking shortcuts. Toxic waste is a problem if you don't take steps to deal with it. The answer to that problem is to have a very robust system in place to deal with it.
                            ―Thon

Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                              Err, I directly mentioned it as part of the very long list of safety regs to be enforced by a government body empowered to discourage people from taking shortcuts. Toxic waste is a problem if you don't take steps to deal with it. The answer to that problem is to have a very robust system in place to deal with it.

Sorry. Was groggy when I got home...

Bedtime for Bonzo.

Today has been my day for dumb mistakes

Comment

Working...
                              X