Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: True or false?

  1. #1
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,309
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    True or false?

    OK wise ones! Chew on this...

    Statement A: This statement is false.

    Is statement A true or false?
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  2. #2
    Cat Freak Gleb's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,938
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Location
    In my reality
    Phrase
    Rawr

    Re: True or false?

    I say it's a paradox.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."



    Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

  3. #3
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,309
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    Re: True or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
    I say it's a paradox.

    LOL - it is, but that's a non-answer.

    To assign a special name to something does not explain it. It avoids explanation.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  4. #4
    Cat Freak Gleb's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,938
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Location
    In my reality
    Phrase
    Rawr

    Re: True or false?

    If I say it's true - the plot of the sentence will prove me wrong. If I say it's false, it will be true. So I stick with my original answer.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."



    Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

  5. #5
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,309
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    Re: True or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
    If I say it's true - the plot of the sentence will prove me wrong. If I say it's false, it will be true. So I stick with my original answer.
    You went two thirds of the way, then stopped. Keep going - the answer is within your grasp!
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  6. #6
    Live and learn anunitu's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,048
    Religion
    stregheria

    Re: True or false?

    Though not my answer,it is in fact an explanation of the nature of the statement.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_paradox

    This does not make me a wise person,just a person that understands sometimes history and Google are your friends.

    - - - Updated - - -

    That and I might cheat at times..
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

    all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.




    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

    my new page here,let me know what you think.


    nothing but the shadow of what was

    witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

  7. #7
    Silver Member anubisa's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,644
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

    Re: True or false?

    I think I agree with Gleb about it being a paradox. It's hard to call it true when the statement says it's false.
    Anubisa

    Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

    Reading is Love | Serenity Hutchinson (Online Resume)

  8. #8
    The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,309
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Location
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

    Re: True or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    Though not my answer,it is in fact an explanation of the nature of the statement.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_paradox

    This does not make me a wise person,just a person that understands sometimes history and Google are your friends.

    - - - Updated - - -

    That and I might cheat at times..
    You need to learn to cheat better. You've found an explanation of the dilemma, but still haven't answered the question...

    ... which is odd. The answer is so very, very simple, and right under yer nose (said Corbin, trying to be as annoying as possible without being rude).



    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by anubisa View Post
    I think I agree with Gleb about it being a paradox. It's hard to call it true when the statement says it's false.
    Sidestepping again! Come on! Youse guys are soooo much smarter!
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

    I can't do everything, but I can do something.

  9. #9
    Live and learn anunitu's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,048
    Religion
    stregheria

    Re: True or false?

    The answer is there is no answer,it is a circular statement.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

    all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.




    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

    my new page here,let me know what you think.


    nothing but the shadow of what was

    witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

  10. #10
    Bronze Member Munin-Hugin's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Northern Tradition
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: True or false?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
    If I say it's true - the plot of the sentence will prove me wrong. If I say it's false, it will be true. So I stick with my original answer.
    But keep in mind, that if you say it is true, you are saying that it is TRUE that the statement is FALSE. It's like that exchange in the movie Clue:

    Col. Mustard: Wadsworth, am I right in thinking that there is nobody else in this house?
    Wadsworth: No.
    Col. Mustard: So there is someone else in the house?
    Wadsworth: No, sorry. I said 'no' meaning 'yes'.
    Col. Mustard: No meaning yes? Look, I want a straight answer: is there someone else or isn't there, yes or no?
    Wadsworth: Um...no.
    Col. Mustard: "No" there is? Or "no" there isn't?
    Wadsworth: Yes.
    Col. Mustard: Well there is still some confusion as to whether or not there is anybody else in the house.
    Wadsworth: I told you there isn't.
    Col. Mustard: There isn't any confusion, or there isn't anyone else?
    Wadsworth: Either! Or, both.
    Col. Mustard: Look, would you just give me a clear answer?
    Wadsworth: Certainly! What was the question?
    Col. Mustard: Is there anybody else in the house?!
    All: NO!!!

    So the answer is actually TRUE. Because if the statement is true, then it is true that the statement is false. And if it is, in fact, a false statement, that means that it is false that it is false and therefore that makes it TRUE.

Similar Threads

  1. Your true pagan path
    By Norse_Angel in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05 Jun 2015, 19:15
  2. false gods
    By nbdy in forum Religion and Spirituality Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 14 Nov 2014, 16:37
  3. False Gods
    By anubisa in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08 Mar 2014, 10:41
  4. True Vampires
    By Sondst in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 16 Dec 2013, 01:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •