Families that don't agree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Families that don't agree

My adopted parents (aunt & uncle) have long passed, so no issues there. They weren't active church goers and didn't really talk about spirituality unless they were shaming me for something I'd done (situational faith). They did try to discourage me from anything that resembled what my father was into (LHP) - music, D&D, etc.

I learned much of what I know from my father. I was raised believing he was my uncle until I was 20 - but he was my favorite uncle and we were very close. However, I didn't practice anything since it was such taboo in the rest of the family.

Recently, I reconnected with my father's side of the family, who are all devout Seventh Day Adventists - so I have not let my beliefs be known to them. Actually, I'm only now starting to peek out of the closet with my immediate family - I openly practice divination at home. My wife, although raised Methodist, is pretty tolerant of alternative beliefs - she loves my shamanic friend & mentor. She doesn't believe in "hocus pocus," but is respectful nonetheless. Well...she chuckles at me, but that's because we've been married for 20 years.

I've waited this long to open up because, really, I wanted to be sure this is the path for me before I claimed a new interest or belief. Now that I'm sure of myself, we'll be having some conversations about it at home at least - I wouldn't want to hide it from my wife and kids. My adopted daughter (18) already knows and is interested in the path herself. The others think dad's just on one of his tangents and shrug it off like their mom.

Comment

I was raised to be Christian, mainly by my mother. I grew up in church and held onto those beliefs until a few years after high school, when I realized they weren't my own any more.

I've been changing a great deal since then, opening my mind to different possibilities and being more open with myself. I haven't told my family that I've started journeying into Heathenism. My sister is open-minded, but I know my parents, mainly my mom, wouldn't like it.

Luckily my wife is very supportive and encouraging. She's Pagan herself and we both believe in exploring spirituality.
      Come geek out with me and my buddies on The Bizzarp! Podcast - new episodes every Friday!

"Biting my truant pen, beating myself for spite,"Fool," said my Muse to me, "look in thy heart, and write."
      - Sir Philip Sidney

Comment

Mom was a bar maid ... Dads were ... well ... there were a few ... Only 2 of us 6 have the same dad ... Got most of my humanity and gardening from my grandfather ... Grandma taught me to hate Dick Clark and dancing ... Mom did teach me how to tell really smooth smoking cannibus tho ... Never really thought much of religion until mid-teens when I found out I was related to Samuel Parris of Salemtown ... Ironic ...
        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I was raised Christian and my mom's side is mostly very dedicated, although many of them ironically have gifts that would make them excellent witches lol. I am new on this path, so I'm still studying and learning. I've only come out to my husband, my daughter (11yrs), my sister and one friend. Anyone else that knows are other pagans in my local community that I've reached out to.

My husband is trying to be open, and wants to be included in my journey but he is skeptical of the magick part of it, although he does agree and is interested in energy flow, using stones and crystals etc. My daughter is very interested and has been looking into it for herself. She considers herself pagan now, but is definitely following her own way that differs from mine (while overlapping in places). My sister has told me long ago she doesn't consider herself Christian anymore and is mostly agnostic. She is curious about my new path and has asked to take part in a ritual to see what its about. My friend is a tolerant Catholic who has always been very witchy without realizing it lol, so she is curious as well but also careful because she is afraid for her soul.

I don't know how, if ever I could come out of the broom closet to my parents or the rest of my moms family. I am so super close to them all and while they are pretty cool and accepting Christians (they stuck by me during my teen pregnancy with my daughter) I still fear what they would say/do if they knew about me being pagan. It makes me sad to think that either way I lose, because on one hand I can't fully be myself with them (especially my mom whom I very very close to) or on the other potentially sever ties.

Sigh.

Comment

I don't know if this will help but here is a letter from a concerned mom of one of our adult students after taking the time to get to know us:

To Paul and Trina co-founders of the Arratu Tradition

I made Paul and Trina to be “magnets”. I bring people to them that would not see

Me any other way. Say to them; “I will pour out more grace upon you in order for

my blessings to flow through you to My lost children.” Do not turn your mind away

from nor harden your hearts toward Me, Jesus. You have so much knowledge

but I challenge you to search outside of the boundaries in which you’ve already

studied. Be comfortable knowing that what you learn will not diminish or weaken

your current beliefs. Rather you will be enriched, expanded and empowered in a

way you have yet to imagine

Note from Jesus through his servant, Patsy Lunamann 2/7/2004
            Patsy was a strict Baptist who even agreed to walk circle with us on occasion.
            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
            I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
            X