Seshat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seshat

Okay...so (gods, I love the Egyptians), bibliophile that I am, you can imagine my excitement about learning that there is literally a goddes of books. I mean, she has an epithet of "Mistress of the House of Books". Yes, I realize she's more than just a goddess of books (like writing, knowledge, etc).

Can anyone tell me about her beyond what I can find in 30 seconds on Google?
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Seshat

In some versions she was the wife of Djehuty. Both of them were associated with knowledge and writing. She's amazing. I thought about putting her in my "pack of beloveds", if I can say so but I stayed with Thoth.
    Check out these links -
    Dis http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/seshat.htm
    Dis http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/seshat.html
    And dis http://www.crystalinks.com/seshat.html

The links speak for themselves. I like the first two ones, especially the second.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
      In some versions she was the wife of Djehuty. Both of them were associated with knowledge and writing. She's amazing. I thought about putting her in my "pack of beloveds", if I can say so but I stayed with Thoth.
      Check out these links -
      Dis http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/seshat.htm
      Dis http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/seshat.html
      And dis http://www.crystalinks.com/seshat.html

The links speak for themselves. I like the first two ones, especially the second.

Thanks Gleb! (cookies for you)

I totally just found this: https://templeofathena.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/396/
      ...I'm gonna adapt it a bit.
      “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
      ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
      ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

sigpic

Comment

If you want to contact her - I think it will turn out well for you! Knowing her attitude, I think everything will be awesome. I can't speak for her and my opinion is an assumption. But you should give it a shot, if you're interested!

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh yes, I forgot to mention she was also connected with building. Silly me.

Um.. Cookies? May I get Juni's cats instead? Pleaz?
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
          If you want to contact her - I think it will turn out well for you! Knowing her attitude, I think everything will be awesome. I can't speak for her and my opinion is an assumption. But you should give it a shot, if you're interested!

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh yes, I forgot to mention she was also connected with building. Silly me.

Um.. Cookies? May I get Juni's cats instead? Pleaz?

How about my meowsers?

I can loan them out for a bit...

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

sigpic

Comment

That's fine too.

Comment

Hmmm,gleb and the kitties sitting in a tree,Hissing Hissing at the bees..(Just you know free verse)
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

So...this relates to some of the symbolism associated with Seshat in various pieces in museums, etc.

I get the significance of her leopard-spotted dress, which was associated with funerary priests, the counting stick thingy (I forgot what its actually called), and the usually seven pointed star-flower-frond (and the different ideas about its symbolism), and the down-turned horns which may originally have been a crescent moon (which makes sense because of her connection with Thoth)...

But then I saw a pic of a statue of her in the Louvre, and those "horns" (which really look nothing like horns or a cresent mood, no matter how stylized) are snakes.

What do snakes represent through out the timeline of Ancient Egypt?

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

sigpic

Comment

"The Uraeus (/jʊˈriəs/;[1] plural Uraei or Uraeuses; from the Greek οὐραῖος, ouraīos, "on its tail"; from Egyptian jʿr.t (iaret), "rearing cobra") is the stylized, upright form of an Egyptian cobra (asp, serpent, or snake), used as a symbol of sovereignty, royalty, deity, and divine authority in ancient Egypt.'

That's the snake that the Pharaohs wore.

Also:

The role of the serpent was prominent in Egyptian culture. The serpent symbolized the beginning and end of time, and symbolized fertility. In ancient Egypt, as in many cultures, the ouroborus, a snake swallowing its tail, was a symbol of rejuvenation and eternity, an endless cycle of beginnings and endings.
                  “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                  X