Are you driven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you driven?

I am wondering how everyone's night went last night? I know the site was down for some time but I didn't attempt to get on at all yesterday. I got stomped on at work, and angry. 300 covers without a float and a fish cook that doesn't know how to help. It was awesome (insert sarcasm here), after which I came home and enjoyed 4 shots of J.D. I'm still annoyed with it today. I keep trying to think of ways it could have been better. Things I could have done better. Could I have executed something differently, marked more lamb, rib-eyes pulled had more pierogies blanched off, moved faster, cut out others steps. I'm obsessive, and driven. I should have done better! I could have done better.

Are any of you driven by something like that. Completely passionate and dedicated to a craft or hobby?Do you have certain expectations of yourself and others and how does it effect you when these expectations are not met? How do you get better and perfect your craft? Shit happens, I know the world isn't perfect and things get thrown in front of us that we can't always see coming. I don't make a habit of getting angry at work. It doesn't do me any good but slow me down and make the night that much harder. I like to go with the flow and laugh it off but sometimes I just can't.

*I know I talk about food and work a lot. They are almost as close to me as my religion and my husband. I love what I do and believe that if I'm going to spend most of life with this stuff that I should be passionate, proud, and dedicated to it. Why do it if you don't love it?
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Re: Are you driven?

It was morning when I found out the site crashed. It was (softly speaking) unpleasant. After all it's my home in some way. So I just spent the day doing homework. I woke up with a headache, took a pill after some hours and watched Harry Potter the Deathly Hallows part 2, while eating breakfast.

Due to.. Um... Specific events, I don't particularly like anything. I just do what is important to me, which is sometimes hard without feeding my Ka (life force). Which is taking care of those who are important to me. But for now all I can do is cheering people up when they need my help. I have pretty high expectations of myself when it comes to not being reckless at the wrong moment, or being there for people when they need it. As for others - I only expect they won't say wrong things at the wrong moment, when it can turn out bad for them.

I just do the best I can to perfect my abilities. However I try not to get carried away and do more than I can, knowing how reckless my body can be. The only thing that gets to me is when close people (family, friends..) tell me I'm worthless, useless and so on, because I want to be acknowledged for my abilities and good qualities.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Me. I am completely driven with my writing. Obsessed. The day is not complete without writing or editing something. I am always convinced I haven't done enough. Sometimes it makes me ill and Mr Penry has to remove the laptop from my fast weakening grasp.
      Then I grab a pen...
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Photography and writing, although I dabble in other interests as well.
        ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Driven, i'd have to say yes for some things. Obsessive, easily confused with driven but don't think I obsess about things. Personally think the two frequently get conflated where people say they are driven regarding a subject but are actually obsessive about it to the point it inter fears with daily life and how they approach certain topics.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Writing. Acting. Photography. Music... I have come to the conclusion that what truly drives me is the story. I love to tell stories through many different medias.
            You remind me of the babe
            What babe?
            The babe with the power
            What power?
            The Power of voodoo
            Who do?
            You do!
            Do what?
            Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I have bad ADHD (attention focused), so it's hard for me to get into the zone. But when I do, usually with writing, I'm there. Don't talk to me, I won't hear you. I will sit in the same spot for hours and I will get my manuscript done, dammit. This usually happens near the date of a deadline. Did this year before last with 20K words in about 11 hours and I thought I was going to die, my body was so sore. But it was done.
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                I am wondering how everyone's night went last night? I know the site was down for some time but I didn't attempt to get on at all yesterday. I got stomped on at work, and angry. 300 covers without a float and a fish cook that doesn't know how to help. It was awesome (insert sarcasm here), after which I came home and enjoyed 4 shots of J.D. I'm still annoyed with it today. I keep trying to think of ways it could have been better. Things I could have done better. Could I have executed something differently, marked more lamb, rib-eyes pulled had more pierogies blanched off, moved faster, cut out others steps. I'm obsessive, and driven. I should have done better! I could have done better.

Are any of you driven by something like that. Completely passionate and dedicated to a craft or hobby?Do you have certain expectations of yourself and others and how does it effect you when these expectations are not met? How do you get better and perfect your craft? Shit happens, I know the world isn't perfect and things get thrown in front of us that we can't always see coming. I don't make a habit of getting angry at work. It doesn't do me any good but slow me down and make the night that much harder. I like to go with the flow and laugh it off but sometimes I just can't.

*I know I talk about food and work a lot. They are almost as close to me as my religion and my husband. I love what I do and believe that if I'm going to spend most of life with this stuff that I should be passionate, proud, and dedicated to it. Why do it if you don't love it?
                It sounds to me like you got an overdose of stress. Yes it is important to have hobbies and even passions but it should be a calm and focused expression of oneself. A deep rooted connection to one's spirit.

I have hopes for others but not expectations because there is a thin line between expectations, judgment and control.

Best to sip alcohol for inspiration and relaxation rather than take shots of JD to fuel the fire.

- - - Updated - - -

A final reflection on your post.

This too shall pass.

Without going out the door, you can know the ways of the world.
                Without looking out your window, you can see the Way of Heaven.
                The farther you go, the less you know.
                Thus the Sage knows without travelling, sees without looking, does without doing.

Comment

I wish any one thing drove me to an extreme passion, but my desires never get to that level... I generally just float between things and enjoy them at an "average" level without becoming overly involved. Relationships are about the only things I can get more attached to, most other things are just there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Phoenix View Post
                    It sounds to me like you got an overdose of stress. Yes it is important to have hobbies and even passions but it should be a calm and focused expression of oneself. A deep rooted connection to one's spirit.

I have hopes for others but not expectations because there is a thin line between expectations, judgment and control.

Best to sip alcohol for inspiration and relaxation rather than take shots of JD to fuel the fire.

- - - Updated - - -

A final reflection on your post.

This too shall pass.
                    My shots of JD was to help me relax and go to sleep. I don't make a habit of drinking after a long night but sometimes I feel I deserve a break. I was not drunk when I went to bed but I did feel more calm and relaxed then when I got home.

I work in a kitchen there is no such thing as calm and focused on a Saturday with 300 covers. But I didnt pick this as my profession because it was calm. I love an adrenaline rush, I love a busy night, and I love getting rocked. Feeding people and creating new dishes is what I seek to do, and being the best at is my ultimate goal. I don't wish to reinvent the wheel, I wish to perfect it!

My focused expression can be seen in new menu items. In my flavor profiles and my final product. I let my food speak to me but working a station I don't always get to create new items that only happens at menu change time. In a kitchen we are a team. One unit if one fails we all fail. So I expect my team and myself to be able to communicate. To know when to ask for help, and to help when its needed. If you can't do this then we as a whole need to work together to get them up to par.

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                    I am always convinced I haven't done enough.
                    This is something I worry about on a regular basis. Or my other question is there a better way to do this. My motto "work smarter not harder"
                    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Honestly? Nah. I'm on cruise control from now on. If I were a guy, surfed and had blond hair I'd probably use words like 'Nah Brah, Go with Satan, Brah.' Stuff like that.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

My goal is to make GS 13 in the next 5 years, unless I make GS 14 or one of the executive pay grades, get my kids thru college and house paid off and hit my official retirement age (57), and then switch to some low key GS job (hello park service!) or civilian job until I max social security age. But if I stay where I'm at for the next 23 years, thats okay too...it might be boring, but it will pay the bills.

And in the in-between time, I want to hike the Appalacian Trail, bike the Pacific Coast Highway, drive the Trans-Canada Highway, and fly in London and out Dublin with no plans and a three month gap between the two. I also have a list of about 800 books I want to read...and it gets longer every day.

Other than that, no...I'm not driven. I have a very non-obsessive personality. I grew up with an OCD father whose expectations I couldn't ever hope to live up to and an overachiever mother that got her master's degree while working full time, with a kid in high school, and another on the way. I rebelled by becoming about as laissez faire (without being a slacker) as one can get as a coping mechanism--I believe in getting the job done safely, fairly, effectively, and efficiently (and in precisely that order--because if you manage the first two, the second two will follow)...and beyond that, you can kiss it where the sun don't shine.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Thal has a secret cave where there is no sun??? Amazing!!! Writes notes in the wonder notebook....
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Nope. Not driven.

Barely conscious most of the day.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Do I look like Miss Daisy to you?

Seriously, lots of days the only thing that keeps me going is waking up knowing there's a good race that day. Horse racing is something I'm still very involved with and passionate about.
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                              X