The biggest hindrance to spiritual development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The biggest hindrance to spiritual development

I voted "amusing distractions". Most of the time, I've got about a million different thoughts running through my head
    "Well I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer,
    The future's uncertain and the end is always near"

Comment

For some reason I couldn't see the poll..so I'm winging it. What used to get me hung up was the belief that being spiritual was a hard thing, always in contrast with real life and required a crazy amount of time and effort.

Like there was no point in even trying unless I was going to devote hours a day in a specific type of meditation and perform regular elaborate rituals. That was a leftover from the faith I was raised in.

What gets me hung up now is exhaustion/lack of time due to life situations, I am international about carving out time. Then someone calls, or it's time for the carpool.

I also have serious mental illness,and though it usually doesn't hinder me, there are times I am so out of it, and distracted that nothing gets done.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        I voted medical. I truly believe my bi polar has kept me from being a spiritual person. It's hard to be 'spiritual' when your emotions are lies and can kill you.
        That makes me think, Medusa. I think I would feel the same as you. I have two very spiritual family members with bi polar, and we've had some good discussions about this. One of them finds great comfort in spirituality and uses it to cope. Delusional religious beliefs nearly killed the other one. They have both had religious delusions though. I think it is just so much a part of them that it plays out in all aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by Prickly Pear View Post
          That makes me think, Medusa. I think I would feel the same as you. I have two very spiritual family members with bi polar, and we've had some good discussions about this. One of them finds great comfort in spirituality and uses it to cope. Delusional religious beliefs nearly killed the other one. They have both had religious delusions though. I think it is just so much a part of them that it plays out in all aspects.
          You know this had me thinking as well.

I'm an atheist because I dislike the delusion of the mentally ill and how they act. I've been raised around a bi polar mother. And seeing her looked an awful lot like seeing religious crazies. It just put me off. If you are believing in something that isn't real and basing your life and how you treat others on this planet, I find you to be mentally ill.

And I'm really sticking to it. Because I've noticed when pressed about the literal presentation of their deity, they tend to fess up and say yeah, it's a symbol, a manifestation, an aspect of their deity. They don't actually believe believe their deity is real in the literal earth sense. Or they are just hiding that from me because I will think they are mentally ill.

When you are raised around mental illness, you value literal realness or else. I can't tell you how many times I had to tell my mom the voice wasn't telling her to stab someone to protect someone else. You sorta get gun shy around the 'invisible god' thing. Invisible god. Invisible person telling you to stab someone. The invisible people coming after you. It's all the same thing to me. I'm actually sorry if this does come off as if I'm insulting theists. I'm only telling you how I personally feel and it's just my opinion. It's not fact. But then, you know..neither is religion.
          shrug.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

You are certainly not offending me. To be honest, your voice here is one of the reasons I stuck around and joined this forum. You have excellent common sense and express it. And this is allowed and respected here. I hope I haven't offended you. It is more that I respect your opinion about something that I observe affecting my family.

I agree that it is sometimes difficult for me to distinguish mental illness from the religious experiences some people describe. It has put me off parts of the pagan community, and the non-pagan religious community as well. I don't want to feed something toxic because I am curious and exploring. I certainly worry when aforementioned family member starts getting "churchy". It usually signals something bad.

I have what I think is a luxury of seeing people live positive spiritual lives, and who are as far as I can tell, generally able to reconcile an illogical belief with a healthy and positive lifestyle. Even thrive with it. So I will bend and explore, because I can, and because it brings me some joy. But the skepticism is always there.

Comment

I would say, for me, lack of community. I have strong personal faith, but I feel like, without people to share with or discuss it with, why bother? More than a guide/teacher, I need a circle of other like-minded people. Which is why I'm here :-)
              She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

As much as it pains me to finally admit it: Inconsistent interest and/or drive

Hoping that getting onto a healing path as a career will help reignite the passion I once had, back when I started studying my spiritual path.
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I lack basically any confidence in my own worth or abilities.
                  Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalJackal View Post
                    I lack basically any confidence in my own worth or abilities.
                    To some extent, this is me. It's one of the reasons I am solitary. I lack any faith in my ability to connect with people, and why I struggle to find a community.

For what it's worth, CrystalJackal, your posts have lead me to believe you are a wonderful person, full of hope and curiosity, and as a really intelligent person. :^^:
                    ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
                      I put other obligations. Up until just a little bit ago, I was working as a salaried manager at a 24 hour place, and working 3rds, which meant I was the ONLY one scheduled 13 hour shifts that generally turned into 15-16 hour shifts because the GM couldn't have been bothered to come to work on time...ever...and I lived a good 40 minute drive one way to work. So my entire life was "get up, drive to work, kill myself trying to keep that place running properly, go home, die for a few hours, and repeat". Days off were mostly spent comatose to the worry of a LOT of people. Only "tip" I have for dealing with something like that is to just get the hell out of the situation as soon as you can. Took a $6k a year pay cut to do it, but at least I'm out and can get back to focusing on myself and what I need to be healthier both spiritually and physically
                      Wow thank you for sharing. And thank you for the advice about taking time for yourself. This life time is so short and that is a great reminder that doing what you love is so important.

My biggest hindrance to my spiritual development is discipline and my forever changing nature. I believe they are interlinked. I am a passionate person and everything fascinates me. You could say I suffer from the curius cat syndrome and I am easily distracted by everything. I jump from magick, to druidry, astrology, tarot, buddhism, yoga, tai chi, music and drawing. I go full circle and start over again.

I do admire people who can stay committed to only one discipline and perfect it throughout their lifetimes but I've come to accept that that person is not me.

Without going out the door, you can know the ways of the world.
                      Without looking out your window, you can see the Way of Heaven.
                      The farther you go, the less you know.
                      Thus the Sage knows without travelling, sees without looking, does without doing.

Comment

My biggest hindrance is that I don't have enough time. Now when there is no school I have at least some time in the mornings or evenings.
                        But as soon as school starts and I go to work again and things like that it becomes difficult.

Comment

School doesn't leave much time for performing the Adorations of the Sun.

Comment

I voted for ego because basically every religious practice I've done before has had the removal/transcendence of the ego as their final goal and because I still consider it to be the main culprit for my problems, spiritual or not.
                            I could have also voted for "lack of guidance" since I'm the kind of person who needs to be told what to do. Perhaps I just have to learn to think for myself.
                            I could also pick 'amusing distractions', including PF. A little bird told me that talking about Paganism is not the same as practicing it.
                            And then there is the most basic thing which I guess would go to the 'other' category: lack of spiritual path, lack of motivation, you name it.
                            I'm quite inspired by people from the more 'traditional' religion who can be themselves and still be open and proud of their path. The closest I've ever got is "I don't have an actual religion" or "not really" when somebody asked me if I belonged to any religion (majority of people here are baptised as kids so I get into these kinds of conversations sometimes). I'm secretly hoping I'd pass as a devout Christian. (Which I'm not since I don't believe in their dogmas and I'm sure not joining a religion just to be a heretic.) "Thinking too much what others think of me" would probably be a good option for the poll as well.
                            baah.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin
                              What do you find to be the biggest hindrance to your spiritual development (assuming you are developing your spiritual stuff)?

And... Do you have any practice tips for dealing with this issue?
                              I picked amusing distractions as I have plenty of time that I could use if I just concentrated properly and wasn't so easily distracted by shiny objects! :^^:

I go through phases too, where I'll hyper focus in on one thing and become super obsessed; sometimes it happens with my spiritual development and I'll learn tons of stuff, but then my focus will suddenly flip and I'll be obsessed with something generally considered useless like reading fan fiction or practicing playing one of my flutes or something. Multitasking my goals is a bit hard for me and fun distractions are just as likely to capture my focus as the actual goals I need to concentrate on will.

Tips wise, making lists tends to help me. I'll write out things I feel like I need to accomplish in a block of my free time and set time limits on each item. Unfortunately, I often get stuck on one item and have trouble leaving it for something else! :shy:

Comment

Rather than intense focus on any one thing a balanced approach should be the goal. A balance between the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual sides of your nature is much more productive and you stay healthier and happier in the process.
                                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X