the Reincarnation Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Reincarnation Discussion

I've made other threads on this topic before, but I wanted to start this one, mostly because of a comment I made over here

who here believes in/has experience with reincarnation? (experience here meaning visions of past lives, knowledge about past lives, or just a sense that this might not be your first time around so to speak, or other such things)

Re: the Reincarnation Discussion

Me - in a weird sort of way.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

how weird, if you don't mind my asking?

Comment

Very much believe in past lives. Yet though I have "memories" that might be of a past life I am in constant doubt as to whether they really are or not.

I have the unlucky aspect of having died once in this life at an early age. So sometimes I get memories, maybe dreams, from that time frame that really mess me up. Other times when conditions take a certain form I have vivid memories of past lives and sadly the death that occurred with them. Where it tends to fall apart for me is that two of them I can identify as being early in WWII. That is the disturbance in the force as it were in that trying to see how I could have two past lives within the same time frame and be reborn from both into this life.

Add to that the knowledge that I have dreams and memories of things that belong to my mother and grandmother and maybe even great-grandmother. Things which occurred to them before each generation was born yet nothing that would be from them after each generation was born.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I have also had really vivid death visions from what I can only identify as past lives (I could tell it was a different time period based on clothing and surroundings) I've never met anyone else who has that experience though, until now.

I've identified my visions as being from two different past lives. one from the 19th century and one from early WWII. and yeah, sometimes I'm not sure if I didn't just dream it all up, or if I'm making it up... something like this is hard to be sure about.

your other dreams sound pretty fascinating

Comment

I'm mixed really. I like the idea of reincarnation and I've heard some compelling anecdotal evidence from people who I believe are fully convinced by their experiences. On the other hand, over the past 6 months or so, my entire spiritual world-view has turned on its head. Everything (that I've so far explored through the lens of this new concept), can be explained just as easily by my new understanding of spirit as it could before when I believed spirits were separate entities.

I see 'spirit' as just one infinite energy. It flows through everything and exists everywhere, but has no distinct beginning or end. Every speck of this 'spirit' contains all the collective knowledge or experience of every other speck, although the energy itself has no consciousness on its own (but will temporarily take on a consciousness when a human mind interacts with it, whether deliberately or otherwise). There are no hierarchies or kingdoms.. a faerie appears as a faerie because we as humans interact with this energy as a faerie, a god is a god because that is how we're choosing to perceive it.. and so on, and so forth. This is also, I now believe, how we can contact loved ones after they pass on. When we interact with this energy as though it is an individual we miss, it will be that person.. all their memories and feelings for us will all still be there, and they'll forever be able to comfort and watch over us, if that's what we wish from them.

Just because we're alive, it doesn't mean that we've been cut off from this energy. We're still flowing with the whole, but our physical and mental state affects how we perceive our own 'spirit'. When we die, we're free from all of that, and return to the 'pool'. So.. if for whatever reason, I start to remember being a poor housemaid to some rich Elizabethan family, it's because I was... in a sense. We all were. Why I'd remember that one event specifically, is anyone's guess, but I'd assume there is something in that life that I have to learn from.

Of course, I realise my concept of spirit is a bit unusual, and I don't expect others to agree with it, but I thought I'd share, because this map is working for me so far. I'm still open to the alternative explanations though. In fact I witnessed something quite awe-inspiring a little while ago that made me wonder if my boyfriend is remembering a past life that is specific to him... so I still have a lot more exploring to do.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I know for me it gets crazy at times. It's like if the wind is blowing a certain rate and I can hear the flutter of flags or pennants I'll find I've stepped back in my mind and see sort of a negative type image imposed before my eyes. I can feel the horse beneath me, feel the staff in my hands and the weight of it on some sort of hook on my boots and hear that darn flapping of the banner I carry. The land is rocky and sort of rugged and all at once I get hit in the side with something and I'm falling from the horse as the horse stumbles. The pole breaks beneath me and I die as the shattered end impails me.

Yet if the wind is more violent and hits me in the face I switch to a waist gunner on an early model B-17 and know we are in combat. There is sort of a blister where the gun is located and I watch the plane turn and dive in at us. I can hear the roar of the wind, the guns and the smell of oil and gunpowder. I watch as the lights flash from the fighter's guns and get hit and fall into the opening of the blister and watch my blood run down the fuselage of the plane, the oil run back over the wing along with smoke from the engine. Recall thinking something like "Damn I'm going to die!" then it's all gone.

Which makes that the second WWII memory as the other is dying on what I take to be an old style S-Boat. Again relatively early in the war and we go down. Never sure of what kills us only that we go down and I drown as it's all black and cold. For a bit you can hear others scream, curse or cryout but that aspect never lasts long.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                I see 'spirit' as just one infinite energy. It flows through everything and exists everywhere, but has no distinct beginning or end. Every speck of this 'spirit' contains all the collective knowledge or experience of every other speck, although the energy itself has no consciousness on its own (but will temporarily take on a consciousness when a human mind interacts with it, whether deliberately or otherwise). There are no hierarchies or kingdoms.. a faerie appears as a faerie because we as humans interact with this energy as a faerie, a god is a god because that is how we're choosing to perceive it.. and so on, and so forth. This is also, I now believe, how we can contact loved ones after they pass on. When we interact with this energy as though it is an individual we miss, it will be that person.. all their memories and feelings for us will all still be there, and they'll forever be able to comfort and watch over us, if that's what we wish from them.
                That's cool, and I think I get it?? maybe?? but I like that idea. I've got a lot of experience with what I refer to as spirits and also the fey-folk, and some experience with beings or people from "behind the veil" trying to communicate with me. a recently dead relative, for example, if I hear their voice in my head, or if I have dreams where they appear and try to speak to me, would that be because of spirit?

As for the reincarnation aspect, I think I have heard at least one other person saying something similar. There seems to be a theory (although don't ask me what it's called) that says all our souls are connected, and one soul will live every single life on Earth before it finally ascends to Heaven/Nirvana/whatever you want to call it. I'm not sure what I think about that theory, but I've heard it said.

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                Just because we're alive, it doesn't mean that we've been cut off from this energy. We're still flowing with the whole, but our physical and mental state affects how we perceive our own 'spirit'. When we die, we're free from all of that, and return to the 'pool'. So.. if for whatever reason, I start to remember being a poor housemaid to some rich Elizabethan family, it's because I was... in a sense. We all were. Why I'd remember that one event specifically, is anyone's guess, but I'd assume there is something in that life that I have to learn from.
                I absolutely get this. When I had my really vivid visions, it was because there were experiences from those past lives that could help me in what I'm doing today. Knowledge to be gained, etc. Of course, it took me a while to figure out what that was, because the visions were really short, brief moments, and it took a while to even figure out that they were past life visions in the first place. But once I put everything together about these two past lives I believe that I've had, it made sense. There is plenty I can learn from them.

Of course, there have also been times when I got visions because it was the anniversary of something. The event I saw in the vision had happened exactly 182 years before, on the same day. So that could be a factor too.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                I know for me it gets crazy at times. It's like if the wind is blowing a certain rate and I can hear the flutter of flags or pennants I'll find I've stepped back in my mind and see sort of a negative type image imposed before my eyes. I can feel the horse beneath me, feel the staff in my hands and the weight of it on some sort of hook on my boots and hear that darn flapping of the banner I carry. The land is rocky and sort of rugged and all at once I get hit in the side with something and I'm falling from the horse as the horse stumbles. The pole breaks beneath me and I die as the shattered end impails me.

Yet if the wind is more violent and hits me in the face I switch to a waist gunner on an early model B-17 and know we are in combat. There is sort of a blister where the gun is located and I watch the plane turn and dive in at us. I can hear the roar of the wind, the guns and the smell of oil and gunpowder. I watch as the lights flash from the fighter's guns and get hit and fall into the opening of the blister and watch my blood run down the fuselage of the plane, the oil run back over the wing along with smoke from the engine. Recall thinking something like "Damn I'm going to die!" then it's all gone.

Which makes that the second WWII memory as the other is dying on what I take to be an old style S-Boat. Again relatively early in the war and we go down. Never sure of what kills us only that we go down and I drown as it's all black and cold. For a bit you can hear others scream, curse or cryout but that aspect never lasts long.
                wow monsno, that's... intense. I'm sorry if it bothers you.

I've had something that sounds like it's probably similar. there was one day when I was just taking a walk, it was quiet, but then the wind picked up and I could hear someone's American flag flapping by their porch. If I closed my eyes the American flag went away, the whole neighborhood went away, but the wind and the flapping sounds were still there, and I could see a different flag. then the rest of the scene sort of faded into view around the flag, and I could see barracks, barbed wire, a few tents, and some corpses...
                I've also got a few battle memories.

- - - Updated - - -

sometimes I can hear cannon-fire, smell the gunpowder and the blood, see our defenses flying apart. then I get shot four times, and bayonetted in the chest and I'm gone

Comment

There is the concept that the soul is eternal,as a spirit passing from one body to another. I think this belief is in most all cultures,just with differing stories. The idea that when you die,your soul goes somewhere(heaven,hell,is reborn) so we have the immortal spirit we call the soul. I do tend to believe in what is called the cosmic energy connection,that being that what we call a soul is a tiny part of the energy(or soul) of the entire universe. The whole energy of all things. Just my take...feel free to reject it if need be.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I am going to clarify first that I do not intend to disrespect anyone or cause unnecesary strife.

That said, personally the concepts of reincarnation and Karma have always struck to me as a form of moral escapism - it does not matter that you could not do anything you wanted/had to do/should have done in this life because you were killed untimely via a random gunman, you have more lives to try.

My position regarding afterlife is simply "I do not know". Perhaps reincarnation and it's Karma cousin are real, perhaps they are not as anyone pictures it, and perhaps they are false. Same with Heaven, as with Asgard, and with Hades. It is for this reason that I have always frowned upon "contacting the dead". How do you know they are actually your relatives/friends/close person when they could in fact have reincarnated or even gone to an afterfile? Or what if it is as most atheists say and there is nothing? And what if you can contact a long-deceased ancestor (i.e.: Your great grandfather) what does that mean for reincarnation?

Life is for the living. Assuming that past lives are real and if there was anything I did in a past life that mattered I would still be doing it. If they are not, then why worry? Your hour will come, and so will mine. But until then we have plenty of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightingale View Post
                      .. wow monsno, that's... intense. I'm sorry if it bothers you.

I've had something that sounds like it's probably similar. there was one day when I was just taking a walk, it was quiet, but then the wind picked up and I could hear someone's American flag flapping by their porch. If I closed my eyes the American flag went away, the whole neighborhood went away, but the wind and the flapping sounds were still there, and I could see a different flag. then the rest of the scene sort of faded into view around the flag, and I could see barracks, barbed wire, a few tents, and some corpses...
                      I've also got a few battle memories.

- - - Updated - - -

sometimes I can hear cannon-fire, smell the gunpowder and the blood, see our defenses flying apart. then I get shot four times, and bayonetted in the chest and I'm gone
                      Doesn't really bother me as much as leaves me frustrated. One of those constant was it real? Was it inspired by some movie I once saw? All those doubting Thomas type questions we always ask ourselves yet can never truly answer. The closest I ever came to truly answering it was the possibility of two brothers dying and the memories sort of cling to a third sibling who sort of experienced them with them or they might be twins. Sort of the analogy of how twins at times are supposed to be able to feel, see, sense, etc things that happen to their twin.

The ones of my mother, grandmother and possibly great-grandmother I've confirmed to a degree. Rather hard to do now though since both my grandmother and great-grandmother have both passed over. Some things for Mom difficult as she doesn't recall her youth to greatly now though. Haven't seen it or heard of it from my siblings nor from my own children. Yet it sort of ties back into memory being passed via blood memory as I never have them of my father, grandfather or great-grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightingale View Post
                        That's cool, and I think I get it?? maybe?? but I like that idea. I've got a lot of experience with what I refer to as spirits and also the fey-folk, and some experience with beings or people from "behind the veil" trying to communicate with me. a recently dead relative, for example, if I hear their voice in my head, or if I have dreams where they appear and try to speak to me, would that be because of spirit?
                        I wish I had more concrete answers myself, but I don't (and I very much doubt I'll ever be 100% sure). What I can tell you though, is that I experienced the fae long before this very recent change, and I've very recently interacted with a recently deceased spirit. He was banging all night long, so much that my colleague heard it from the sleep-in room and couldn't sleep that night. He blew a light bulb too. Luckily my colleague was open minded enough to believe what I'd experienced that night, and she even helped me work out what had him so rattled. The following night I was able to contact him and calm him down.. no hauntings since! Just because he is part of the whole, doesn't mean he isn't still the person he was too, at least while he's here, around those who remember him as he was.

I've noticed a few slight changes, but generally, my day-to-day experience of these spirits hasn't changed just because my concept of spirit has. Fae still appear and behave as before, as do the orbs, and totem spirits... and my guides... and so on and so forth. As they've largely stayed the same, my behaviour towards them hasn't changed either. It seems that this is the way our minds have learnt to interact with spirit. It's a concept far, far older than myself, and I'm not about to reinvent the wheel.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I ain't trying to be the Debbie Downer of the forum, buuuut....
                          You know how you have that 'feeling' of jejavu? That you are sure you've experienced something before? It's more than likely an error in how your memory works. Pretty much a glitch in your brain. I feel the same on this.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I have studied Buddhism for a long time and their theory of reincarnation is the four noble truths. In order to stop reincarnating and to ultimately stop suffering you need to address your insatisfactions, cravings and desires. There is a way to succeed and that is to follow the noble eight fold path.

Seems promising yet I have always found this limiting in many ways. To desire (sex) = the wrong path (sin). Yet I respect Buddhism deeply. I believe that we are all one. That we are all interconnected. It is true. If something happens to the Earth... something tragic... we will all suffer the same. The egotistical as well as the sympathetic person.

They have put people under hypnosis and many have confessed and described past lives. Some descriptions are accurate to a fault. Accurate about the era, settings, facts and events. Is it staged or pre rehearsed? Who knows? One interesting fact about these experiments. They found that human life (incarnations) decreased tremendously between 2100 and 2400. They concluded a natural disaster or some substantial event wiped out a lot of us.

I think beliefs are important because they define our actions. We are and do what we think. If I am afraid of dying reincarnation would be a very reassuring concept. We had this debate at the dinner table the other date. I have had vivid dreams of past wars and lost loves. My stepdaughter described a past life to us when she was two years old about living on a farm. She knew the names of everyone and she was a man in that lifetime that had lost two of her sons to war. Strange to say the least. She talked about it for a couple of months. When she turned three I asked her about it and she recalled nothing of it. It was like that transparent veil was gone.

For me I live a conscientious life. It is important what we do and what we leave behind for our children. I want to be apart of an evolved society that thinks beyond selfish needs. I believe that we do not die because we are made of energy and energy is forever. This belief makes me a better human. More empathetic and compassionate and that is what is important.

Without going out the door, you can know the ways of the world.
                            Without looking out your window, you can see the Way of Heaven.
                            The farther you go, the less you know.
                            Thus the Sage knows without travelling, sees without looking, does without doing.

Comment

I'm not sure if I 'believe' in reincarnation, but I have had 'memories' of past lives. That said, I don't discredit the usefulness of these memories on the basis that they might not be truthful. I'm no expert on Eastern philosophy but I understand that there are Buddhist meditations which involve imagining yourself in another life (such as to feel more empathetic toward someone else or whatnot)? Real or not, I prefer how Crowley so bluntly describes it in Magick in Theory and Practice, "Of the Magical Memory."

"Far be it from any apologist for Magick to insist upon the objective validity of these concatenations! It would be childish to cling to the belief that Marius de Aquila actually existed; it matters no more than it matters to the mathematician whether the use of the symbol x22 involves the "reality" of 22 dimensions of space."

Comment

Working...
                              X