Long walks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long walks

Recently I was looking for a new hobby for myself. Meeting friends, gaming or anything else doesn't do a lot to me, except reading. But I noticed I liked long walks of some kilometers, in my own pace. It all began in the beginning of the summer vacation when I went 3.8 km to the nearest zoo and back home. It was something and I felt I achieved something. I can't call it hiking, because hiking is a bit difficult for me at this stage in life.

Does anyone share the same hobby? Any tips?
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Re: Long walks

Lately my wife has taken up going for walks most evenings once it gets nice and cool. As for myself, I enjoy it, but where I live I'd have to drive somewhere and then go for a walk.

Comment

I did that for years and loved it!!!! I had several routes mapped out around the neighborhood of various lengths to fit whatever time I had. Met all kinds of interesting dogs, cats, people, even a semi-tame turkey. It's not like walking to get somewhere at all - it's a whole new perspective on the world. I literally lived for my walks.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Long walks, especially through the woods have been an important part of my life for as long as I can remember.

One of the reasons I like the path analogy to Spirituality so much is because I've learned so much about who I am by simply walking up and down paths in the woods, listening to the subtle sounds, and allowing my mind to wander.

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
          Long walks, especially through the woods have been an important part of my life for as long as I can remember.

One of the reasons I like the path analogy to Spirituality so much is because I've learned so much about who I am by simply walking up and down paths in the woods, listening to the subtle sounds, and allowing my mind to wander.
          There aren't many woods in my area but I enjoy walking on the parallel road and watch private houses of different designs. It allows me think of what kind of house I'd like to have in the future. It also distracts me from stress and different issues. Maybe it sounds weird, but sometimes I talk with animals in the zoo, when I'm alone. Of course I don't make snakes jump on the people I hate like Harry Potter, but it's still fun. I like doing it in the mornings and evenings - when it's not so hot.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I try to go for a walk every day sometimes just half an hour, sometimes for hours. It's a great way for me to destress. You see the world differently when you're not going anywhere.
            And talking to the zoo animals isn't weird. I talk to the birds though they don't talk back, it's still nice to do.
            You remind me of the babe
            What babe?
            The babe with the power
            What power?
            The Power of voodoo
            Who do?
            You do!
            Do what?
            Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Long walks are my thing! Last sunday I took my thermos filled with tea and walked to an island (no I don't walk on water!) which is about 7km from here. Then walked back, it took about 3 hours. Not very challenging but I haven't been very active lately.
              Usually when I have some free time I just walk around the city. Wherever my legs take me. The distance is not the point, just enjoy the walking. Let it be spontaneous. I used to do some ex tempore long walks, went to look for an abandoned asylum and once when I lived in a smelly dormitory I walked to the next village to get some decent noodles. So it can be useful too! (Btw, it's a good idea to carry some kinds of snacks with you if you're going far.)
              Also, walking can be a part of spiritual practice: walking meditation, chanting (probably in your head, if there's people around), pilgrimages (I'd like to think it's not about the actual place where you go but the process). Investing in some kind of hiking shoes may be a good idea but I wouldn't call it an absolute necessity.
              Happy walking!
              baah.

Comment

Long walks are my thing! Last sunday I took my thermos filled with tea and walked to an island (no I don't walk on water!) which is about 7km from here. Then walked back, it took about 3 hours. Not very challenging but I haven't been very active lately.
                Usually when I have some free time I just walk around the city. Wherever my legs take me. The distance is not the point, just enjoy the walking. Let it be spontaneous. I used to do some ex tempore long walks, went to look for an abandoned asylum and once when I lived in a smelly dormitory I walked to the next village to get some decent noodles. So it can be useful too! (Btw, it's a good idea to carry some kinds of snacks with you if you're going far.)
                Also, walking can be a part of spiritual practice: walking meditation, chanting (probably in your head, if there's people around), pilgrimages (I'd like to think it's not about the actual place where you go but the process). Investing in some kind of hiking shoes may be a good idea but I wouldn't call it an absolute necessity.
                Happy walking!
                NICE!! Thank you!

Comment

There are a ton of places around here I would love to walk to, but between my job and my kids, I never have time to. The most I ever get to do is the random photo walk with friends, which can last hours. I used to walk a lot when I was a kid, also ride my bike a lot.
                  ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Pretty much all my outings are walks since I have no car. Even when I take the bus. I like to take walks at the lake. Walks around my neighborhood. Self guided walking tours in LA or wherever I'm headed to. It's the cheapest way to entertain myself. When I went to Oceanside this weekend, I just walked around enjoying all the sights. Also it lets me do my fave thing..audiobooks! I complete am removed from the world around me while simultaneously being in the world around me. It's awesome for a person who needs to detox from humans, but wants to be out and about. You put headphones on and people don't bother you. I'll be honest, when at a place like the beach, I have nothing on. I like to listen to the ocean. So I just pretend.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                      Pretty much all my outings are walks since I have no car. Even when I take the bus. I like to take walks at the lake. Walks around my neighborhood. Self guided walking tours in LA or wherever I'm headed to. It's the cheapest way to entertain myself. When I went to Oceanside this weekend, I just walked around enjoying all the sights. Also it lets me do my fave thing..audiobooks! I complete am removed from the world around me while simultaneously being in the world around me. It's awesome for a person who needs to detox from humans, but wants to be out and about. You put headphones on and people don't bother you. I'll be honest, when at a place like the beach, I have nothing on. I like to listen to the ocean. So I just pretend.
                      That's a nice way to spend your time. Sometimes I put my earphones on and listen to the miserable amount of music on my phone. But I remember reading you had a bike. You said you get on your bike when you finish your work and scream "Dobby is free!"

Comment

I like walking as well, Gleb. I used to take my earphones with me and listen to a podcast or some relaxing music but I don't do that as much anymore. I have trained myself to listen to the sounds around me in be aware of stuff around me rather than trying to distract myself. As Clemens has said, there is a lot you can ponder and learn while listening to the sounds around you. Sometimes I like to listen to a podcast to learn and walking helps me absorb the information, but if I'm out to give my brain a break then I don't take the headphones.

I think one of the biggest challenges Gen-Y and younger face today is how to be alone with just your thoughts. Walking is a really good opportunity to take the time to just be with yourself.

Comment

Working...
                        X