Babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babies

Some parents choose to have a pagan equivalent to a Christening. This is often referred to a Wiccaning, a Baby Blessing, or a Baby Naming Ceremony. Depending on the intent of the parents, this can be done pretty much anytime before the child's first birthday. Often the purpose of this ceremony is to formally name a child, and/or presenting him or to the universe/gods/etc, and/or ask for blessings or protections from the elements/universe/gods/ect. Sometimes the purpose is also to introduce the child to the family and/or community. Different traditions may have variations on this first rite of passage.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Baby Blessing Ideas

Baby Blessing of the Elements

I ask for thee, the blessing of Mother Earth, from whose body we are formed and to whose arms we return when our journey here is over. May the strenth and determination of earth be gifted unto you.

I ask for thee, the blessing of the Winds--the breath of life that circles from the corners of the earth and whispers its secrets into our ears. May its clarity and truth be gifted unto you.

I ask for thee, the blessing of Fire, which energizes and consumes and illuminates. May its courage and passion be gifted unto you.

I ask for thee, the blessing of the Waters of life, which no living being can exist without, washes away our fears and gives birth to our dreams. May its flexibility and fluidity be gifted unto you.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=51.msg167#msg167 date=1286615059]
      Baby Blessing of the Elements

I ask for thee, the blessing of Mother Earth, from whose body we are formed and to whose arms we return when our journey here is over. May the strenth and determination of earth be gifted unto you.

I ask for thee, the blessing of the Winds--the breath of life that circles from the corners of the earth and whispers its secrets into our ears. May its clarity and truth be gifted unto you.

I ask for thee, the blessing of Fire, which energizes and consumes and illuminates. May its courage and passion be gifted unto you.

I ask for thee, the blessing of the Waters of life, which no living being can exist without, washes away our fears and gives birth to our dreams. May its flexibility and fluidity be gifted unto you.
      [/quote]

Beautiful
      ~Earth My Body~Water My Blood~Air My Breath~Fire My Spirit~

Comment

The Bai Jia Bei is a tradition of quilt making for new babies from northern China, where a quilt is made from pieces of cloth (representing good wishes/blessings)

It is a custom to invite friends and family to contribute a patch of cloth with a wish for the baby. Part of the patch of cloth goes into the quilt for the baby, and the other part of the cloth can go into a creative memory notebook with the wish for the child. The quilt contains the luck, energy, and good wishes from all the families and friends who contributed a piece of fabric. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation.

from http://www.originalquilts.com/100_go...hes_quilts.htm
        sigpic

Comment

Babies

I'm not yet a mother, or even a mother-to-be, but it is a topic that interests me greatly and I love to research things dealing with babies and motherhood. It makes me feel prepared in a way. I probably wouldn't mind becoming a midwife, with the proper training, now that I think about it. Because of that, I'm really missing the thread that was about babies and toddlers. Particularly, I remember links to articles about cloth diapers, and the baby slings.

I was just thinking it was a wonderful topic so I thought I'd start it up again and see if it goes anywhere.

So, from some personal research:

Cloth diapers
          Why choose reusable diapers? I'll show you using cloth diapers is easier than you think. Organic, affordable and functional options available.

Baby slings

For mothers to be
          This was a rather unbiased article when I found it a couple years ago. I'm hoping it still is.
          Where to have your baby

-and-
          The #1 site for baby names with 2024 baby names trends, name meanings, unique baby names, names for characters, and fun name lists for baby name inspo!

I'd love it if anyone still has some of the older links as well. I'll post more as I find things. Opinions on any of the above is welcome as well.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Re: Babies

you sound like me when i was younger i used to have a set of ensiclopedias that i had the section on pregnancy and childbirth bookmarked. since the moment i was told that i could have kids i've wanted nothign else then to be a mother. and spent the last 10 years reading everythign i can get my hands on about pregnancy and labor and delivery. (if i coudl stand the blood I'd so be a midwife to )
            but the one thing i lacked was researching about what comes after the first few months. lol

make sure your reasearch includes AFTER the baby is born and after they become moble lol but every baby is different and there are only so many things you can be prepaired for.

for instance daniel jsut turned one and has started hitting and jsut today he pinched me. now i knew this was bound to happen cause they cant express how they feel in words yet but i didnt know it woudl happen so quickly... i thought we were still months away from this and i was sooooooooo not prepaired. its hard. being a parent and even reading everything. there is noway to know what kind of parent you'll be or what kind of parent your child will need.

there is nothign better than experience.
            "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

if you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them I have book smarts and experiance smarts this is once subject i can say that i excell in
              "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

I think I had posted most of those links...but I'm out of town away from my computer brain, so it will have to wait to go thru my bookmarks and links...although, I have an article on baby slings on my blog.
                sigpic

Comment

I made a baby sling for my oldest granddaughter, unfortunately I didn't know anything about them when my daughter was a baby. She was only 2 months old when she attended her first renaissance festival. Her dad (who is built like a football lineback) was wearing his kilt, axe over one shoulder and baby sling over the other. They sure posed for a lot of "photo ops". ;D

------------------------

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
                  - robert anton wilson -

Comment

[quote author=Lunacie link=topic=1229.msg23481#msg23481 date=1292767582]
                    I made a baby sling for my oldest granddaughter, unfortunately I didn't know anything about them when my daughter was a baby. She was only 2 months old when she attended her first renaissance festival. Her dad (who is built like a football lineback) was wearing his kilt, axe over one shoulder and baby sling over the other. They sure posed for a lot of "photo ops". ;D
                    [/quote]

That sounds really, really cute!

I used a sling for a while with my daughter, but clear through 12-13 months with my son. My kids are pretty big, though, so after that, they get too heavy and start pulling my ring slings, figuring out how to try to stand up in the sling, etc, etc.

When we moved up here from CA, though, some of the teens from church were part of the group who helped us move. They found my husband's foam Belegarth weapons, and started goofing around with them. They learned some new respect when I came over and pounded them with my son still tied to my back
                    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=1229.msg23470#msg23470 date=1292762831]
                      I think I had posted most of those links...but I'm out of town away from my computer brain, so it will have to wait to go thru my bookmarks and links...although, I have an article on baby slings on my blog.
                      [/quote]

I have the link still for your blog, but I wasn't sure if you'd want me to post it so....

And I just found out my sister is going to have her third baby in May! I'm so excited because this is the first one I'll be able to be there for when baby is born.
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Best. Parenting. Resource. EVER.
                        Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

There is one thing babies will never have that is soooooo great ...

puppy breath ...
                          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=1229.msg23587#msg23587 date=1292819608]
                            There is one thing babies will never have that is soooooo great ...

puppy breath ...
                            [/quote]

Unless you feed one a puppy, but I hear that's frowned upon.
                            Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

yes but baby breath is sooooooooooo amazing ^.^ I love the way daniel's breath smells <3

Comment

Working...
                              X