Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contacting/Interacting With/ Talking to the Gods?

Jan 2014
    Religion
    Solitary Witch

Re: Contacting/Interacting With/ Talking to the Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalJackal View Post
    Oh wow this explains it really well to my screwy autistic brain

No but seriously this makes a lot of sense and it really helped me to understand, so thank you so much.
    Glad I could help

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Archaic
    Phrase
    All men die, but not all men live.

As a shaman, I would advise that apart from being patient, you manage your expectations of how this communication will manifest for you. I find that divinity in creation will often adapt to your own ideals - divinity has always been there; we only need perceive it. These things really can take time (it took me two seasons before I had my first seemingly authentic shamanistic experience), and I would hate for you to have missed out just because you might have been expecting something in particular. Keep an open mind and be receptive to what your gods will throw at you. I personally have never spoken to any god, but I do regularly connect with more animist entities - spirits of plants, trees, animals, entities dwelling in streams, ponds, lakes, that sort of thing. And in all cases, without the help of psychadelic drugs or hallucinogens, it has always been about listening intently to everything. If you have already been doing this, then keep it up. If you would like to try another avenue, I can always recommend a method from my own shamanist tradition that may work for you. Feel free to approach me or ask me anything else here. Happy hunting.

Oct 2014
    Religion
    Hinduism with a dash of Heathenry

My question is hard to word, but..... how do you establish contact or a connection with a god/the gods? As in, through offerings, a specific ritual, etc? Or through meditation? Or does it depend on the person?
    Sometimes it depends on the god(s). Many polytheists do not believe the gods are omnipotent, omniscient or omnipresent. For whatever reason, the god/dess you eventually contact or who contacts you may be busy with something else. Whether the gods are listening or not, I make offerings and go about my ritual business.

When I practiced Hinduism, I could not get close to Rama or Krishna, though they are two of the most popular gods, and I very much wanted to. As I was leaving Hinduism I was feeling more of a connection to Shiva and Devi in several of her forms (Lakshmi, Saraswati, Durga, even Kali). Ironically, now that I'm no longer Hindu I feel them a bit more.

Then Thor whacked me upside the head, and grabbed me in a headlock. To some conservative and orthodox Heathens, that is not only UPG (unverified personal gnosis), but bordering on MUS (made up shit). Nevertheless, it's what I feel. Now I occasionally also feel the presence of other Norse deities, on and off. When I don't feel them try to remember that they may be busy with something else. See, I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder, which sometimes gets in the way.

This article might help a bit http://www.patheos.com/blogs/johnbec...tual-path.html

The thing is this. See, the other day I was looking into Therianthropy (please no nasty comments that is none of your business)
    I don't think anyone thinks less of it or would make any nasty comments. It's found even in Norse mythology. Loki and Odin are masters of it. We have the Berserkers also, albeit it's more of a mental state for them. http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/obj/s4/f2/dsk2/ftp01/MQ54707.pdf This is just to point out that it's not that uncommon.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorbjorn View Post
    .. I don't think anyone thinks less of it or would make any nasty comments. It's found even in Norse mythology. Loki and Odin are masters of it. We have the Berserkers also, albeit it's more of a mental state for them. http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/obj/s4/f2/dsk2/ftp01/MQ54707.pdf This is just to point out that it's not that uncommon.
    Not sure i'd say they show therianthropy as much as skin walking. Therianthropy tends to be the belief that your soul is in part made up of some animal element. Sort of the animal world aspect of otherkin. So while a shapeshifter / shiftshaper may believe they can assume the form and character of an animal they do not, in my experience, tend to believe their soul is part animal. Yet like power animals it seems all the therianthropes always seem to believe it is some predator that makes up part of their soul as they take animal traits and animorph them. It seems, again to me anyway, that the creature is usually wolf, bear or occasionally some form of feline. Have yet to meet one that claims their animal soul is rabbit for instance.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Kemetic Reconstructionist

Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    Yet like power animals it seems all the therianthropes always seem to believe it is some predator that makes up part of their soul as they take animal traits and animorph them. It seems, again to me anyway, that the creature is usually wolf, bear or occasionally some form of feline. Have yet to meet one that claims their animal soul is rabbit for instance.
    There are many Therians who identify with prey animals. I'm not sure how much you've experienced of that community but I also spent some time looking into therianthropy. In the end, I decided that I am not one, but I met some really interesting and thoughtful people. I even met one lady who identified as part earwig.

Anyway, back to the subject--I think it also bears mentioning that we hear a lot about experiences of divine communication or connection because they're more interesting to talk about than all the other times where we just meditated peacefully in shrine. Stories of divine contact get blown out of proportion that way, and folks who hear about these things expect to experience them all the time and think they're failing if they don't. It's actually quite natural to have a quiet day in shrine. Once you get used to the silence, perhaps you'll start to notice more easily the subtle things which mark an experience as something special.

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Banu View Post
    There are many Therians who identify with prey animals. I'm not sure how much you've experienced of that community but I also spent some time looking into therianthropy. In the end, I decided that I am not one, but I met some really interesting and thoughtful people. I even met one lady who identified as part earwig.

Anyway, back to the subject--I think it also bears mentioning that we hear a lot about experiences of divine communication or connection because they're more interesting to talk about than all the other times where we just meditated peacefully in shrine. Stories of divine contact get blown out of proportion that way, and folks who hear about these things expect to experience them all the time and think they're failing if they don't. It's actually quite natural to have a quiet day in shrine. Once you get used to the silence, perhaps you'll start to notice more easily the subtle things which mark an experience as something special.
    Off topic reply

Most experience I have with therians is either online or those who jump into it from the totem perspective. Honestly can't say I've met any that identify with a prey animal as their soul part they've always been predators. Not just predators but most time the big ones like bears, wolves, cougars / puma. In many ways the same creature's you see so often identified as being their totems.

Where I see some difference is the otherkin group. Some of them I admit I can't follow for they try to use the otherkin aspect of demons, angels, mythologic creatures but say they have a split soul as well with part being dogs, cats, etc. That group I've seen a rabbit, a mouse and I want to say a dolphin. But they do not identify as therians but otherkin.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Kemetic Reconstructionist

Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    Off topic reply

Most experience I have with therians is either online or those who jump into it from the totem perspective. Honestly can't say I've met any that identify with a prey animal as their soul part they've always been predators. Not just predators but most time the big ones like bears, wolves, cougars / puma. In many ways the same creature's you see so often identified as being their totems.

Where I see some difference is the otherkin group. Some of them I admit I can't follow for they try to use the otherkin aspect of demons, angels, mythologic creatures but say they have a split soul as well with part being dogs, cats, etc. That group I've seen a rabbit, a mouse and I want to say a dolphin. But they do not identify as therians but otherkin.
    Interesting! I wonder if perhaps the prey animals are just more quiet than their predator counterparts.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Quote Originally Posted by Banu View Post
    Interesting! I wonder if perhaps the prey animals are just more quiet than their predator counterparts.
    There are a few different theories on why this is, but I personally tend to go with the idea that people tend to see what they want to see. Very few people want to admit that their animal guide is Earthworm, let alone their therioside. I don't run in therianthrope or otherkin circles, but I've known a number of therians over the years via blogs and LJ and my observations are similar to Monsno's.