Weddings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weddings

Unlike the baby thread, I am engaged. And looking for all the things that I want at my wedding in two years. Anyone else here getting married in the near, or somewhat near, future? If so, feel free to share any info or ideas here. and those of you with experience, your advice is most welcome.

Writing your own vows (among many other wedding related things):

Dresses (i'm going for a celtic theme and this may be a little out of my price range. I'm not sure how euros and dollars convert.)
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Weddings

Did you mean for this to be in the Parenting sub-category?
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

whoops, nope. meant it to be in friends and family in general
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

I've always thought about how my wedding would go, no boyfriend or girlfriend at the moment. Roses, white tux(s), by a lake or river, huge chocolate cake, lots of red and white candles, bonfire, as you can see I have much free time.
        Circe

Comment

I'm getting married in May. Already got it all planned out, we're only inviting about 40 people so it'll be pretty small.

Comment

That link to writing your own wedding vows is great. I've officiated at half a dozen weddings and I always encouraged the couple to help write the vows themselves. I love slipping in some Pagan or Wiccan references that the couple understands but don't raise any red flags for their more mainstream relatives and friends.

I made my daughter's wedding dress in a renaissance style, white brocade overgown with gold trim and a dark green satin chemise with full sleeves. She was so beautiful with her red hair. My son-in-law made his own kilt and I made him a full sleeved renaissance shirt.
            ------------------------

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
            - robert anton wilson -

Comment

In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=1230.msg23403#msg23403 date=1292725497]
                I've always thought about how my wedding would go, no boyfriend or girlfriend at the moment. Roses, white tux(s), by a lake or river, huge chocolate cake, lots of red and white candles, bonfire, as you can see I have much free time.
                [/quote]
                I'm thinking forest in the background sort of thing, but definitely outside. We're planning to get married June 1, 2013, so it'll be nice summer weather hopefully.

[quote author=picaboo link=topic=1230.msg23491#msg23491 date=1292775247]
                I'm getting married in May. Already got it all planned out, we're only inviting about 40 people so it'll be pretty small.
                [/quote]
                I'm hoping for small as well, but my fiance has a huge family and everyone wants to be at the wedding. My own family isn't all that small either. And we do both have quite a few friends.

[quote author=Lunacie link=topic=1230.msg23495#msg23495 date=1292777737]
                I made my daughter's wedding dress in a renaissance style, white brocade overgown with gold trim and a dark green satin chemise with full sleeves. She was so beautiful with her red hair. My son-in-law made his own kilt and I made him a full sleeved renaissance shirt.
                [/quote]

I wish I was that handy, but I wouldn't have an idea about how to make it look nice, let alone comfortable.

[quote author=Maulus link=topic=1230.msg23501#msg23501 date=1292779131]
                The only regret i had was booking the worlds crappest DJ for the evening reception!
                [/quote]
                I actually have minor league musicians/dj's in the family, so I think the music aspect will take care of itself.

Comment

I've thought about it, being a girl and all (not all girls think about weddings I guess, but most I know do). I'll make my own dress and I have an idea about the design (of course, when I actually get married I'll probably change my mind). Something Victorian-influenced but modernized (probably keep the corset bodice and Victorian bustle, but might add more modern elements to the skirt and have cap sleeves). I'd like to incorporate peacock feathers in centerpieces, bouquets and invitations. They're kind of a signature of mine. I'll probably make a lot of stuff myself. I want it to be really nice but I don't have a lot of wedding money. I'll likely still be starting my career (I'm only in my second year of my bachelors at the moment) and my parents don't believe in spending money on weddings so they're not going to give me much (which is fine....they ARE extremely generous and have given me a TON of money for practical things in my life).

Of course, I don't even have a boyfriend, so a wedding is a ways off. Probably a long ways off, seeing as my love life is such a mess at the moment.

Comment

I want my centerpieces to be a pile of books, bought from like goodwill, hard-cover, without the paper cover on them so they look kind of leather bound. It's really cool, I saw it a wedding I catered. I also want to put disposable camera's around the tables so that guests can take pictures and then they give the camera's back and we develop their pics instead of hiring a photographer.

Comment

We had a tiny wedding (12 people including us) because if we'd have invited any more it would have had to be huuuuge. After the wedding our honeymoon was spent wandering round the country having parties with various friends and relatives to celebrate, plus some time to ourselves in a hotel. I wore a pretty off-the-peg dress from a store I couldn't normally afford and we just got some dwarf delphiniums in blue pots as table centres. I work at a beautiful historic house which is licenced as a wedding venue and we were given their small ceremony room for free, which was lovely, and my boss gave us the use of the holiday cottage they own for the reception and an overnight stay. We got in some caterers to do the food which was yummy and everyone left at about 7, leaving the evening free for us (we watched a cheesy horror movie before bed :P). It was so simple, pretty and intimate.

It's your day; don't be afraid to pare it right down to the bones if that's what you really want.
                      You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

I've just gotten engaged (squeeeee!!). My wedding is a fair way away (we haven't yet set a date, and we have a convention to plan first) but we've already started planning.

I want to wear something medieval, but not in white since I'm not virginal :P Maybe a blue or purple to match my hair. She still hasn't decided if she wants to wear a dress or a suit.

We're definitely going to write our own vows, and we're having a Handfasting ceremony (hopefully I'll be able to find a High Priestess in my area to officiate). As for decorations, venue, cake.... Oh gods, so much to plan! I know we both want it outside, but that's about it!
                        Very overwhelming ^_^#

Comment

I'm totally wearing white at my wedding. I don't care if I'm not "virginal"...white goes with my skin tone!

Comment

My first was a little chapel in Las Vegas ... The King did the ceremony ... Just had one witness and she was also the organ player ...

For my second it was outdoors ... At the motel ... They had a big bar-b-que pit ... Had friends cater it ... Western dress was the theme ... Had my boots, jeans, red double breasted shirt and 4x beaver Stetson ...
                            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Please post pics of either of those!

Comment

Working...
                              X