Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

DanieMarie, I was also taught that America is a "melting pot."

But something has happened recently that is disconcerting - when the economy got rough, the politics of Xenophobia sprouted like dandelions. Or, when the power of long standing institutions (such as, but not limited to, "Christianity") are challenged, some folks retreated into cultural hermeticism.

It is so unfortunate - we are mostly all immigrants and refugees here.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      DanieMarie, I was also taught that America is a "melting pot."

But something has happened recently that is disconcerting - when the economy got rough, the politics of Xenophobia sprouted like dandelions. Or, when the power of long standing institutions (such as, but not limited to, "Christianity") are challenged, some folks retreated into cultural hermeticism.

It is so unfortunate - we are mostly all immigrants and refugees here.
      See, that's the difference though. We always preferred to think of ourselves as a "mosaic, NOT a melting pot". We weren't supposed to be a country that cultures came together and assimilated. We thought of ourselves as a patchwork of different cultures living in the same place.

That's why I'm so upset by recent events in Canada and the country's stance on immigrants (which isn't just limited to the government). It kind of goes against everything I learned about our national identity.

Comment

For me people are Italian-American,African-American,and so on,BUT the American part is your Country NOW..love your old country,BUT by becoming a citizen you pledge your self to America.

Remember people line up to get to call themselves AMERICAN...
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Once again, I don't care about terminology - you make too much of it, IMHO.

The idea is: We are here. We mix. Enjoy it.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

For true B. De. My Father came here and joined the army because he wanted to be an American....because he did that,I was born an American(he retained his French culture) and also took American ways as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean,we have Chinese food,Italian food,Mexican food,and some ethnic food that became American southern food. Jewish food and Arab food,Greek food and we made Pizza out OWN....
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think the issue is that there is this concept that the newcomers are getting "more" from the government and other sources than those who have been here all along. It's the whole argument that people get with their cable companies. "Why do these new customers get all these bonus channels and lower rates, when I've been your customer for 20 years and I don't get anything extra?!?" I feel part of it has to do with inflation, classification of what qualifies as the poverty line, and the fact that they have not changed equally over the years.

Comment

I hear more about the veterans who are homeless or need medical services as the reason. While the numbers vary it seems to hover somewhere around 50,000 vets who are on the streets, many with medical issues. We should be taking care of our own before we worry about others is the general perception I get. Can't say I disagree with it either you look to what extent the government and other agencies go to in order to make things better for the refugee's while those who served have to wait for service and aid or are ignored all together.

Edited to remove double post
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

All of this banter is great but look at history for a moment and remember that the middle east has been at war with itself over religious ideology for 2000 years. These people are "comfortable" with war the same way that a person in an abusive relationship is "comfortable". It is what they know and it gives them their sense of self esteem. Most of the refugees want a safe place to stay until they can go home again. They want to keep their religious rulers and the laws that they grew up with. They don't want to leave at all they just want a refuge.

The peoples of this area have been refugees for millennium and will likely continue to be for the foreseeable future.The only way to stop the war is the same thing that an addict must go through. They have to lose everything important and decide to make a change. They have to work at changing their reality - no one can do that for them. It means nothing unless it is earned.

I'm really not against housing refugees but I am against enabling the warring of these peoples. Just because an addict is in withdrawal you don't make them feel better with a shot of Morphine. It is something that they must go through to get better.
                  The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                  I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                    I hear more about the veterans who are homeless or need medical services as the reason. While the numbers vary it seems to hover somewhere around 50,000 vets who are on the streets, many with medical issues. We should be taking care of our own before we worry about others is the general perception I get. Can't say I disagree with it either you look to what extent the government and other agencies go to in order to make things better for the refugee's while those who served have to wait for service and aid or are ignored all together.

Edited to remove double post
                    I will say this, there has been a huge push against veteran homelessness and people are getting taken care of in record numbers. For instance New Orleans has effectively ended veteran homelessness. New York City's veteran homelessness is also at a record low and on track tonso what NOLA did. There are literally dozens of programs from the VA to help homeless veterans and it is ending fast.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                      All of this banter is great but look at history for a moment and remember that the middle east has been at war with itself over religious ideology for 2000 years.
                      Europe was also at war with itself for thousands of years, and it often came down to religious ideology (the 30 year's war, for example, which was one of the bloodiest conflicts that ever happened here prior to the 20th Century). Plus, your account of history here completely ignores the effects of international events and involvement, such as the Crusades, the World Wars, American interventionism, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                        Plus, your account of history here completely ignores the effects of international events and involvement, such as the Crusades, the World Wars, American interventionism, etc.
                        Also climate, and resource issues...look at the so-called Little Ice Age and its affect on history in Europe.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          Also climate, and resource issues...look at the so-called Little Ice Age and its affect on history in Europe.
                          Good point!

Comment

Working...
                          X