Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    The thing is, there is a HUGE difference between immigrants and asylum seekers. Above all they are human beings and all this scare-mongering over Muslims is just that - scare mongering by a media with a definite agenda. People are stirring up trouble to avoid facing the fact that this is a humanitarian crisis and we - in my case, the UK, but I think the US needs to be involved too - ought to be doing something.
    The U.S has pledged to take in 10,000 refuges. It will be a long process to vet them all though.

Comment

The thing is, there is a HUGE difference between immigrants and asylum seekers. Above all they are human beings and all this scare-mongering over Muslims is just that - scare mongering by a media with a definite agenda. People are stirring up trouble to avoid facing the fact that this is a humanitarian crisis and we - in my case, the UK, but I think the US needs to be involved too - ought to be doing something.
      I know there are a lot in the U.S. who think instead of worrying about 10,000 Syrians for instance we should be worrying about the estimated 50,000 vets we have that are homeless or even our own general homeless population for instance. For many see it not much different regarding quality of life or ability to live period.

edited to correct dragging zero's
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
        The U.S has pledged to take in 10,000 refuges. It will be a long process to vet them all though.
        Well, I'm sorry but in a country the size of the US that's pretty pathetic. Government are never backward about chucking bombs around and making a mess, they should not be backward about helping people in dire straits.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
        I know there are a lot in the U.S. who think instead of worrying about 10,000 Syrians for instance we should be worrying about the estimated 50,000 vets we have that are homeless or even our own general homeless population for instance. For many see it not much different regarding quality of life or ability to live period.

edited to correct dragging zero's
        Why not both. The US is one of the richest - if not THE richest country on the planet. They could help both groups without batting an eyelid if they stopped being so eager to go to war. Iraq was a disgrace. And that was the politicians' faults.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Well, I'm sorry but in a country the size of the US that's pretty pathetic. Government are never backward about chucking bombs around and making a mess, they should not be backward about helping people in dire straits.
          Oh I wouldn't even argue that one as I fully agree.

Why not both. The US is one of the richest - if not THE richest country on the planet. They could help both groups without batting an eyelid if they stopped being so eager to go to war. Iraq was a disgrace. And that was the politicians' faults.
          I think our own policies and recent history is also contributing to the position. While the number's are low the media and hype still plays up a lot of the immigrant / refugee's that have come into the U.S. and were terrorist. Consider the two brothers with the Boston Bombing or the Sudanese who were involved in the recent ISIS recruiting incidents just off the top of my head. Then the illegal aspect we already have and people are not forgiving or very supportive to other's plights at the moment.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

There's not a bit of your sentiment I disagree with Mrs. Penry, and I hope that we decide to take in many more. Taking in people who have truly faced such horrendous persecution would surely help the perspective of many Americans.

However right now realistically right now 10,000 is a good number to start with. I've recently been informed that my first deployment in the military may very well be over there taking part in the vetting process. Ultimately the logistics of not only vetting thousands of refuges but creating safe transport and living conditions for them is a more unique challenge then some of our European counter parts. Regardless of how we feel about it, we need to look at the wide spectrum of issues this presents and we need to establish a functional, timely, and safe way to do this.

Until then we need to do more in the way of immediate humanitarian and financial aid, but don't get me started on the side show that is Washington DC.

Comment

How many beheadings have occurred in England? How about France? The two jerks that tried that in the USA were shot through the head before they killed anyone.
              I am a firm believer that only a small minority of Muslims would do such things but there has to be a way to find out who they are before allowing them to immigrate.
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

It is largely ironic, almost hilariously so, that the West is having to now deal with and complain about the large numbers of refugees from a geopolitical situation that it is largely responsible for creating over the last century.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                  How many beheadings have occurred in England? How about France? The two jerks that tried that in the USA were shot through the head before they killed anyone.
                  I am a firm believer that only a small minority of Muslims would do such things but there has to be a way to find out who they are before allowing them to immigrate.
                  Sorry, but I can't really figure out why you would ask that. I do believe that the answer is 0 within a timeframe that is relevant for discussing immigration.
                  The people who cause trouble in the name of religion, no matter what religion, don't represent that religion. They represent human idiocy. It would be nice if we could just hand pick the trouble makers (I'd really suggest jail rather than sending them back if they're plannimg to undermine the country. I'm pretty sure that's illegal ), but how would you know them until they do something to attract attention. With the numbers we're getting we can't put them all through a polygraph test. Now, I believe Denmark are too tolerant at times. We have an imam who is known to support IS, and preaching war on the west... but he has a citizenship now so there's nothing we can do. But really, how would you sort them before allowing them to immigrate? It is, I believe, all but impossible if they have just two working brain cells - they won't be running around with a neon sign going 'I hate you all!'.
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                    But really, how would you sort them before allowing them to immigrate? It is, I believe, all but impossible if they have just two working brain cells - they won't be running around with a neon sign going 'I hate you all!'.
                    The only feasible solution imo, albeit a Bennite one, would be prior background checks and a no-tolerance policy towards troublemakers. I am of the opinion that the Scandinavian nations today are too nice when discussing the Islamist issues that confront them. While individually the zealots and clerics may not represent the religion, they nonetheless pose a threat to the security of the host country, particularly by stirring up dissent and at times even preaching violence or other hateful ideology. It's unfortunate, but it must be dealt with nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynica the Ageless View Post
                      The only feasible solution imo, albeit a Bennite one, would be prior background checks and a no-tolerance policy towards troublemakers. I am of the opinion that the Scandinavian nations today are too nice when discussing the Islamist issues that confront them. While individually the zealots and clerics may not represent the religion, they nonetheless pose a threat to the security of the host country, particularly by stirring up dissent and at times even preaching violence or other hateful ideology. It's unfortunate, but it must be dealt with nonetheless.
                      I do agree that it should be much easier to do something about the ones who are openly making trouble... I hate that they can just stay here because we're all too afraid of being racist to call them out. But background checks will be very difficult and take more resources than we have. I think there is some kind of check when asylum is being reviewed, but we have sern how easy it is to cheat them, everything is approved because of the current situation.
                      What babe?
                      The babe with the power
                      What power?
                      The Power of voodoo
                      Who do?
                      You do!
                      Do what?
                      Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
                        More people than that arrived in Munich on Saturday alone. Just saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus it's not as densely populated as Germany, which has now upped its top estimate of refugees coming in to a million. Germany could have a MILLION freaking people come into the country by the end of the year (not counting migration from other EU countries, which is still pretty high, BTW). It's time for other countries to step up. 10,000 is sad.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                          More people than that arrived in Munich on Saturday alone. Just saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus it's not as densely populated as Germany, which has now upped its top estimate of refugees coming in to a million. Germany could have a MILLION freaking people come into the country by the end of the year (not counting migration from other EU countries, which is still pretty high, BTW). It's time for other countries to step up. 10,000 is sad.
                          10.000 is pathetic, yes... I'm not aware how many we have agreed to take, but I read somewhere that we had 800 in about 3 days many more just passing through, many of the ones coming in fom Germany are set on going to Sweden... but compare that to the US. Denmark is a country whose entire population would fit snugly in Paris. We will probably need to take a couple of thousands. The us could fit a bit more.
                          What babe?
                          The babe with the power
                          What power?
                          The Power of voodoo
                          Who do?
                          You do!
                          Do what?
                          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Here is a case in point about how much the media can manipulate people: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...=facebook-post

Apparently this image is making its rounds on conservative media outlets and social media. The problem is, those are not refugees and the photo is not recent. It was taken during a counter protest to a Neo-Nazi rally in Bonn in 2012.

Also, speaking as someone who lives in Germany and regularly sees (and sometimes participates in) protests, that is not an uncommon image. Our police (like most police in the world) have become increasingly aggressive and often push demonstrators. The media also tends to distort the situation when people push back. I was at a demonstration earlier in the year where that happened. It was peaceful, but the police outnumbered the protestors (can we say "overkill"?) and kept trying to push the crowd away. Some people pushed back. The next day, a lot of the media reported that protestors were getting aggressive.

Comment

Yes...

Never put your trust in any news source. They all BS in one direction or the other.
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

We have one of a motorway that has trash all over the place with 'look how much of a mess they're leaving behind. No respect for Denmark!'... there are mountains in the background. We don't have mountains.
                                What babe?
                                The babe with the power
                                What power?
                                The Power of voodoo
                                Who do?
                                You do!
                                Do what?
                                Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Working...