X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

A strange mind indeed....LOL

It's raining again....ugh! I think it's supposed to clear up by Sunday.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I think I've upset a friend. We meet on Skype on sundays to practice Japanese. Our calls used to be at 7pm UK time, but when I have work, which has been almost every weekend since before the New Year, we move it to 8pm because that gives me time to sleep, shower and have my dinner beforehand. I was working last night too but I forgot to tell her this.

My head has been so full of spiritual stuff these past few weeks that Japanese has taken a backseat. Usually I maintain my Japanese even if I'm not studying, because I listen to podcasts, watch lets plays and dramas in Japanese and around 20-30% of my daily conversations with JP are in Japanese. At the moment though, I'm sitting in silence while I write in my BOS in English, or I watch things on Youtube connected to my spirituality and for the last few nights I've been listening to Druidcast. Everything is in English and I'm not bilingual. I do speak Japanese reasonably well, but it's not something I can do without thinking like I can in English. If I'm out of practice, it can be hard to get back into the zone so-to-speak.

When I woke up tonight I tried to switch to Japanese mode in preparation for our Skype call. My thoughts just kept switching back to English though. I decided that I really shouldn't fight it and that I'd just message my friend and explain what's up. I kinda thought that after a few minutes of text chatting in English I might decide 'what the heck' and chat anyway, so I'd go into Skype rather than message her via Line.

When I got there she'd already left and I realised she'd thought we were meeting at our old time. I messaged her anyway to apologise for the misunderstanding and explain my current situation. I then left the room briefly to clear the dinner dishes. When I returned she'd messaged to thank me for letting her know and then logged out again.

I feel like shit. This is me all over. I do this kind of thing ALL THE TIME. I'm unreliable, selfish and locked up in my own little universe that exists alongside other human beings but doesn't really interweave with them in an emotional and mutually beneficial way.

I don't want to be like this, but it's not as easy as 'just stop being selfish'. It's a default setting. I don't go out of my way to upset people and it's not that I don't care about their feelings. It's more that I just won't go out of my comfort zone for the sake of others, and the resulting consequence is the same.

I've been in touch with the Friends of Northumberland Park and from next week I'll be regularly helping to maintain the Victorian herb garden and hopefully getting more involved in the public events they hold there too. The motivation was this recent surge of spiritual enthusiasm I'm experiencing, but I guess if I make a regular habit of giving my time for the community I'll eventually learn to get out of my self-contained universe and share my existence with other human beings. Who knows, I might even start replying to emails and PM's instead of just reading them and thinking, 'hmm, that was a nice message... now back to my textbook...'.

We're all born selfish. All we know is our immediate needs when we're a baby. We demand attention on our terms and when we want it, without a thought for how tired or emotionally drained our caregivers might be feeling. However, we're meant to learn as we grow that sometimes we need to put ourselves out for the needs of others, that sometimes our needs have to wait, or even be abandoned altogether, even if it means, gods forbid, we have to wait until tomorrow to watch the newest episode of Whale Lords. Why then, at 33 years of age, am I still only willing to spend my time on others so long as I don't have anything else I want to do?

I'm a jerk.

I guess the only balancing factor to this is that I also don't demand any attention or immediate response from anyone else. I don't feel rejected when my messages go unanswered. In fact, chances are, I've forgotten I'd sent them.

Also... The next episode of Whale Lords HAS been uploaded, so if you'll excuse me, I don't have time to listen to your responses to this right now...
      Last edited by Jembru; 05 Jun 2016, 12:40.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I don't think you were selfish. Selfish would have not been notifying your friend. Just saying
        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Is it just me,or does the whole world seem just a tiny bit off kilter?
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Jem, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea what you're selfish from. It sounds to me like you've got too much on your plate and are having a hard time managing it all. Maybe you need to slow down a bit rather than trying to save the world every time you turn your head. The world will need saving for many centuries to come, just do what you can, when you can, but don't over do it. I'm sure your friend will understand. And if she doesn't, then she's not for friend. But, if she knows you even half as well as we do (or if she knows you better than we know you) she'll understand.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I agree Juni,I think perhaps Jem sufferers from an idea that she is responsible for others being happy or sad. Other people just have to learn to deal. You do what you can,and that truly is enough. If you are getting paid to be perfect as in a Job,then you have to ask yourself is this Job so critical that if I am not 100 % right and sharp as a tack,will another persons life be threatened. If it only is property,or other things that are insured,but not life critical then you can be normal in your duties.

If it is a friend,and you say "I will do this" there should also be the added note of "If I possibly can" all things being considered. Life happens even when we think nothing should or could get in the path of our success.

All I can say to Jem is,chill lady,your friend will get over herself...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Apparently the Miss USA pageant happened and was won by the contestant from D.C. who also happens to be African American and in the military. People are actually saying they knew she'd win "because this is Obama's America". So....if Clinton is the next Pres. will they be mad when a yet another woman wins next year? (LOL but.....)

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                Is it just me,or does the whole world seem just a tiny bit off kilter?
                Not just you. I sense it, too.
                Last edited by Hawkfeathers; 06 Jun 2016, 08:15.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                  Apparently the Miss USA pageant happened and was won by the contestant from D.C. who also happens to be African American and in the military. People are actually saying they knew she'd win "because this is Obama's America". So....if Clinton is the next Pres. will they be mad when a yet another woman wins next year? (LOL but.....)

- - - Updated - - -

Not just you. I sense it, too.
                  Who the crap is saying that????? Plenty of black women have won Missouri USA. People need to go jump off a bridge. Seriously. Get your minds right.

- - - Updated - - -

Also good for her!
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                    Who the crap is saying that????? Plenty of black women have won Missouri USA. People need to go jump off a bridge. Seriously. Get your minds right.

- - - Updated - - -

Also good for her!
                    Some miserable bigoted people are saying it. It kind of surprised me, which means I'm not curmudgeonly enough yet.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ok,kinda on this track,J. K. Rowling was criticized because in the HP play,Hermione is played by a black actress,and it seems some HP fans had a hissy fit.

Story here.

This is the actress.

Statement by J. K. herself:

JK Rowling has revealed her frustration at online reaction by “a bunch of racists” to news that the role of Hermione will be played by a black actress in the eagerly awaited new play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

Darn HP fans went all h. r. puffanstuff...
                      Last edited by anunitu; 06 Jun 2016, 12:34.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        Ok,kinda on this track,J. K. Rowling was criticized because in the HP play,Hermione is played by a black actress,and it seems some HP fans had a hissy fit.

Story here.

This is the actress.

Statement by J. K. herself:

JK Rowling has revealed her frustration at online reaction by “a bunch of racists” to news that the role of Hermione will be played by a black actress in the eagerly awaited new play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

Darn HP fans went all h. r. puffanstuff...
                        I honestly can understand that one though. Emma Watson has come to be the face of Hermione in book's and film's so that change of her race all of a sudden kills the character that has been built in the public psyche. In some capacity her character doesn't even belong to the author anymore as she has become larger than life to the population that embraced and see her as their's. Might not have the backlash had there been more time between them but this close and you have to expect public outcry.

I personally think it was a poor move. It's unfair to this new actress for no matter how well she does its not going to be good enough in many ways.
                        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                          I honestly can understand that one though. Emma Watson has come to be the face of Hermione in book's and film's so that change of her race all of a sudden kills the character that has been built in the public psyche. In some capacity her character doesn't even belong to the author anymore as she has become larger than life to the population that embraced and see her as their's. Might not have the backlash had there been more time between them but this close and you have to expect public outcry.

I personally think it was a poor move. It's unfair to this new actress for no matter how well she does its not going to be good enough in many ways.
                          Hell yeah it was a poor move. I'm not understanding what they were going for with letting that woman play Hermione. She looks nothing like her or resembles her. At all. Im not saying she had to be a carbon copy but still.
                          "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Have we seen this actress act in the part of Hermione? No. Hush.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I thought you were going to be playing in the Gorilla enclosure cause you know they are all really just teddy bears...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I'm not usually fond of remakes/recasting. Sometimes, like with Zachary Quinto portraying the young Spock, it's time, and to keep a character going, it must be recast. But often, they do this "just because".
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X