Thread: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by anubisa View Post
    I don't know why my views are deemed wrong and when I make positive suggestions I get rebuked. I feel like I'm basically being told to shut up. I feel that if you have an opinion then you should be able to express it. This whole issue is just giving me negative feelings, like there is a cloud hanging around me. What did I do to deserve such a negative reaction?
    If this is in reference to the race discussion over in thinking about, then plain and simple, black people get tired of being talked over by white people. White people need to learn to shut up and listen. Your opinion isn't more important or more valid than a black person's when it comes to issues of race. In fact, as white people, our opinions on the matter are inherently invalid because we benefit from a society that gives us privileges which biases us, often subconsciously, but sometimes consciously, against black people. Id think about why you feel the need to invalidate black voices in this issue.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    If this is in reference to the race discussion over in thinking about, then plain and simple, black people get tired of being talked over by white people. White people need to learn to shut up and listen. Your opinion isn't more important or more valid than a black person's when it comes to issues of race. In fact, as white people, our opinions on the matter are inherently invalid because we benefit from a society that gives us privileges which biases us, often subconsciously, but sometimes consciously, against black people. Id think about why you feel the need to invalidate black voices in this issue.
    Respectfully, I want to introduce a more nuanced view here.

Anybody is entirely right in condemning the rioting. It is dangerous, destructive, wasteful, and enormously counterproductive (in that it muddies an issue that is so much better to deal with when the sides are clear, before the insertion of mass violence).

But not understanding the real and present experiential issues that minorities endure in both generational and current life is also flawed. Without taking the life experiences of "the other" into consideration it is impossible to make sense of the current breakout of violence. And making sense of it is vital to finding a lasting resolution.

In regards to the prejudice of Americans, it has been my experience that, in all cases where prejudice is possible (a tricky way of saying "in all cases") the less prejudice one believes oneself to be, the greater the prejudice the person displays.

Why? Because prejudice is a biologically programmed survival mechanism. As such, it operates primarily at a subconscious level. Unless one is willing to admit that the prejudice exists, and put the psychic effort into dragging it into the light so it can be dealt with conciously, it will continue to operate invisibly in each human.

I think everybody here is familiar with the idea of "confronting the shadow." This concept is not something that exists only in the lala land of quasi-mystical woo-woo. It is extremely practical and must be applied to regular daily life.

What I have described in terms of dealing with one's natural and inherent prejudice (above) is one example of the practicality of "confronting the shadow."
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 30 May 2020 at 07:28.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.