This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

No, the credit card terminal does not have an open port on the modem to receive at. That would be idiotic and you should feel like an idiot for suggesting it. No, closing a listening port will not have any major impact on the credit card machine's ability to call outside the **** network. That would also be idiotic and you should feel like an idiot for suggesting it. No, someone who doesn't understand that outward facing ports are irrelevant to calling outside the network should not be involved in answering tech support calls about modems. That is idiotic and your employers should feel like idiots for letting it happen.

Also, I despise bad tech support.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      No, the credit card terminal does not have an open port on the modem to receive at. That would be idiotic and you should feel like an idiot for suggesting it. No, closing a listening port will not have any major impact on the credit card machine's ability to call outside the **** network. That would also be idiotic and you should feel like an idiot for suggesting it. No, someone who doesn't understand that outward facing ports are irrelevant to calling outside the network should not be involved in answering tech support calls about modems. That is idiotic and your employers should feel like idiots for letting it happen.

Also, I despise bad tech support.
      Are you sure the machine is plugged in?

My absolute favorite question when I call looking for help.

Your a brave soul. I would loose my mind.
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

i was thinking about something a doc said to me when i woke up in the hospital,i think he said arn't you glad we ignored the do not resuscitate paper,do i have a case if they ignored that directive and brought me back against my legal directive? i think it would have been better if i had not come back
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

My spouse, for being an utter genius, is a complete fecking moron. Got themselves into a situation they absolutely should not have gotten into, and now have to deal with things. The longer it drags on the more I shift from "huh, this is amusing because it's ridiculous" to "I'm furious". I just. urgh.
          ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
            i was thinking about something a doc said to me when i woke up in the hospital,i think he said arn't you glad we ignored the do not resuscitate paper,do i have a case if they ignored that directive and brought me back against my legal directive? i think it would have been better if i had not come back
            Sure. You CAN file a wrongful life lawsuit. Depending on when it happened and if it hasn't passed the statute of limitations. Also depending on if the doctor was aware of it at the time and that you can prove that awareness. Whether a judge will actually accept it is up in the air.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I love painting, and maybe have my first commission! This is exciting, except now I have something to paint, I just. don't. want. to. do. it.

Why can't I paint something for money, brain? You've had five weeks. It's due Friday. I only just started it today. I even did house chores to avoid this painting.

Arghhhh.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                I love painting, and maybe have my first commission! This is exciting, except now I have something to paint, I just. don't. want. to. do. it.

Why can't I paint something for money, brain? You've had five weeks. It's due Friday. I only just started it today. I even did house chores to avoid this painting.

Arghhhh.
                My hack for when my brain does that is telling myself firmly that I am definitely, absolutely not going to do the thing. Forget it! No way! While actually getting ready to do it... It's stupid but it somehow gets around the part of my brain that's being an asshole. I think it's because it somehow takes the pressure off long enough to refocus my energy.
                You remind me of the babe
                What babe?
                The babe with the power
                What power?
                The Power of voodoo
                Who do?
                You do!
                Do what?
                Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                  My hack for when my brain does that is telling myself firmly that I am definitely, absolutely not going to do the thing. Forget it! No way! While actually getting ready to do it... It's stupid but it somehow gets around the part of my brain that's being an asshole. I think it's because it somehow takes the pressure off long enough to refocus my energy.
                  The older I get, the more I have to reverse psychology myself to do things. I don't like that for myself. If someone depends on it or there's a deadline involved, I get shit done but if it's a leisurely thing or chores in the house... forget about it. Until it piles up. I used to be really tidy. My house ain't a pig-sty (is that the correct spelling? it looks weird to me) but it could use some TLC.
                  �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                  ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                  Sneak Attack
                  Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

6 degrees f here this morning...buuuurrrr

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I'm so tired of winter. It's mid March and -30C at work.

I just want the air to stop hurting my face

Mostly art.

Comment

It irks me to no end when the coordinator at work schedules me for an 11hr day 3 days in a row without asking me if I could. I have a doctor's appointment so no i cannot work your idiotic 11 hr day. And even when my schedule goes to 4x10hr shifts starting next week, it's still not ok to schedule me for 11 hours without asking me first. You're a coordinator. Coordinate. ffs
                        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                        Sneak Attack
                        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

ouch Juni that seems like a crappy workshift. Hopefully they get their heads on straight and stop doing it.

I am over this neck issue. It's been a week and I can barely turn my neck to the left, let alone tilt it down or look over my shoulder. It's causing my shoulders and lower back to start hurting and I drive enough that it really is starting to add to my stress levels. Plus the youngest kiddo likes to swing around on me and that's now incredibly hurtful. I wish I had enough money to go to a chiropractor but nope.
                          ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

hate changing passwords but done now

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
                              ouch Juni that seems like a crappy workshift. Hopefully they get their heads on straight and stop doing it.

I am over this neck issue. It's been a week and I can barely turn my neck to the left, let alone tilt it down or look over my shoulder. It's causing my shoulders and lower back to start hurting and I drive enough that it really is starting to add to my stress levels. Plus the youngest kiddo likes to swing around on me and that's now incredibly hurtful. I wish I had enough money to go to a chiropractor but nope.
                              I hate it when that happens. I hope it gets to feeling better soon.
                              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I'm too tired to be people. Day 2 of 3 - 16 hour shifts

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X