This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Mainly I think people have trouble with Linux because they believe it should be just another windows. Not everything used to be plug and play.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Thanks for replying! I actually figured it out. I was having trouble getting wi-fi to work. Different wi-fi adapters, lots of internet advice that didn't work. It was taking forever. I am using Mint, figuring that it would be easiest for a newbie. Since I was resurrecting an old computer and didn't have files to save, I switched to a a better hard drive and loaded Mate instead of Cinnamon. Well, the hard drive was just a bonus, it didn't have anything to do with the wi-fi problem.

I knew there would be a learning curve. It was just frustrating because online help was either things I knew to try, or assumed that I had waayyy more experience than I have. I'll get there. Otherwise, I like it fine. I'm having fun exploring and playing.

Comment

So now I can't send private messages via fb unless I install their shitty app? I am sick of being treated like dirt and having my free will violated by that vile corporation. I hate to think what they want access to when you install the app. My contact list? My credit card details? My freaking pin numbers?

If it wasn't for the conversation group and moot I would quit FB. I'm done with its crap. But I kinda need to know when the moots are, and I run the conversation group so kinda need access. There's an app that blocks everything but groups, but installing an app seems to defeat the point here...

Gods I HATE Facebook. Dirty... dishonest... vile... just DIE!!!
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

There is always email for a group,you just need to send cc to your group. You also "Might" consider a forum,some for money and some that are free. You might ask Juni or Thal what it would take to set up for your group. Mask might have some idea as to what is involved.
          Last edited by anunitu; 18 Jun 2017, 15:12.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
            There is always email for a group,you just need to send cc to your group. You also "Might" consider a forum,some for money and some that are free. You might ask Juni or Thal what it would take to set up for your group. Mask might have some idea as to what is involved.
            It has crossed my mind, but there's a lot of members now and they're used to using fb. The moot used to be an email group but switched to fb by popular demand because people check fb more often than email (I must admit I haven't checked my email for over 2 weeks myself).

If nothing else, I might try to limit how often I check the site. It's just so easy to sign I'm when I'm sat bored at work!
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Prickly Pear View Post
              Thanks for replying! I actually figured it out. I was having trouble getting wi-fi to work. Different wi-fi adapters, lots of internet advice that didn't work. It was taking forever. I am using Mint, figuring that it would be easiest for a newbie. Since I was resurrecting an old computer and didn't have files to save, I switched to a a better hard drive and loaded Mate instead of Cinnamon. Well, the hard drive was just a bonus, it didn't have anything to do with the wi-fi problem.

I knew there would be a learning curve. It was just frustrating because online help was either things I knew to try, or assumed that I had waayyy more experience than I have. I'll get there. Otherwise, I like it fine. I'm having fun exploring and playing.
              Cool, I'm more familiar with Ubuntu variants (normal use when I'm not in Windows or if I'm building a server) and Kali but I can spin up a mint VM easy enough if the warranted. Speaking of VMs, if you want to test a setting without risking your system going haywire, virtual machines are wonderful things. Build one to the specs you want, take a snapshot and make the necessary mods. If the machine breaks then tell VirtualBox to load the snapshot and you're good to go.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

In this case, I have a little while before messing up my machine causes too many problems. In a few months it might.
                I did learn that I should be more aware of the order that things should happen, rather than trusting someone else to present in order :=(:. I probably do the same to others when I explain recipes. The learning is pretty much the point for me right now.

Comment

I really wish people fact checked the crap they post on Facebook. I wonder if I should become a professional fact checker. In the last week, I've found evidence of false information in 3 articles posted by various Facebook friends. In some cases, sensational headlines are simply only that. Sensational. Nothing else.
                  �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                  ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                  Sneak Attack
                  Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

It gets harder these days to know if sources are real or fake news. I have to be sure of a source before I would post something,BUT these days there are even sources that "Seem" to be from a valid site,only to find it is a "Spoofed" site. I found that there is a site that seems to be I think CBS,but turns out to be a fake news site(By fake I mean intentional misinformation)

Here is a list of fake news sites.

If you look at the list,some seem to be outright fraud using real news sites logos and graphics to fool the reader.

I have read Google news is trying to block fake news from being in its google news feed.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      It gets harder these days to know if sources are real or fake news. I have to be sure of a source before I would post something,BUT these days there are even sources that "Seem" to be from a valid site,only to find it is a "Spoofed" site. I found that there is a site that seems to be I think CBS,but turns out to be a fake news site(By fake I mean intentional misinformation)
                      I usually ask Snopes
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Thanks B. De.,did not know about that site.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                          I really wish people fact checked the crap they post on Facebook. I wonder if I should become a professional fact checker. In the last week, I've found evidence of false information in 3 articles posted by various Facebook friends. In some cases, sensational headlines are simply only that. Sensational. Nothing else.
                          I hate how disingenuous people have become in this political climate. It's pretty well documented that we're mentally adapting to seek approval via positive reinforcement online via likes and shares. So long as these fake stories project this image people are getting positive reactions from people will continue.

Bah.

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
                            I hate how disingenuous people have become in this political climate. It's pretty well documented that we're mentally adapting to seek approval via positive reinforcement online via likes and shares. So long as these fake stories project this image people are getting positive reactions from people will continue.

Bah.
                            Yup. This homie don't play that game.
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Showing your age there Juni.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I got pulled over by the police yesterday. I was walking outside my house to the bus stop to go to the mall for lunch. Car pulls up along side me and I'm like 'oh, are you pulling over for me?'. Cop is all nice and calm. 'So, I recognize you. You still on probation?'. Uh. No. He's all confused. I recognize you. I'm like you want to run my number and he's like yeah, so I let him. They are taking too long because they can't properly spell my first name. I'm like here, here's my licence *by this time I'm in a hurry so I don't miss my bus*. He's eyeing me casually and I'm like these aren't gang tats. I'm a heavy metal chic. And he's like oh. And of course nothing comes up. And I'm like you know why you recognize me? I'm the lady who gives you discounts at my work. You guys stop at the Starbucks EVERY night in front of my store. And the driver is like 'oh! We get discounts! I need some zip ties'. Uh yeah. And then they are like..so you working tonight? And I'm like no. But see me this weekend. I'm there every night.

This is the THIRD time I've been pulled over. One by car, two by bike and now by foot. I'm a wanted woman!

(I'm only being nice because we are part of the business crime watch program they have. And apparently he just can't remember I've called him a few times)

bleh.:=I:
                                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                                X