Page 101 of 188 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1876

Thread: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

A 5 year old Brooklyn boy died after falling from an apartment balcony. Many times, the article stated that the family and the neighborhood was Orthodox Jewish. So, some dimwit posts "May he rest in the arms of Jesus."

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    A 5 year old Brooklyn boy died after falling from an apartment balcony. Many times, the article stated that the family and the neighborhood was Orthodox Jewish. So, some dimwit posts "May he rest in the arms of Jesus."
    That would be Jesus the Rabbi, rather than Jesus the son of God.

Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Dec 2010
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    That would be Jesus the Rabbi, rather than Jesus the son of God.

Kid would have been OK if there was a gorilla there to catch him, just sayin'.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Woman you have a very strange mind...I like it...
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    Kid would have been OK if there was a gorilla there to catch him, just sayin'.
    Don't know sounds like a job for the Chip n Dales dressing as firemen. Then the kid is saved the distraught mom is entertained and the watching public can argue over who was better and would have been better at catching the kid. For the men you could use the Rocketts as have them do a choirs line type thing.
    Last edited by monsno_leedra; 02 Jun 2016 at 08:57.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Dec 2010
    Religion

A strange mind indeed....LOL

It's raining again....ugh! I think it's supposed to clear up by Sunday.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

I think I've upset a friend. We meet on Skype on sundays to practice Japanese. Our calls used to be at 7pm UK time, but when I have work, which has been almost every weekend since before the New Year, we move it to 8pm because that gives me time to sleep, shower and have my dinner beforehand. I was working last night too but I forgot to tell her this.

My head has been so full of spiritual stuff these past few weeks that Japanese has taken a backseat. Usually I maintain my Japanese even if I'm not studying, because I listen to podcasts, watch lets plays and dramas in Japanese and around 20-30% of my daily conversations with JP are in Japanese. At the moment though, I'm sitting in silence while I write in my BOS in English, or I watch things on Youtube connected to my spirituality and for the last few nights I've been listening to Druidcast. Everything is in English and I'm not bilingual. I do speak Japanese reasonably well, but it's not something I can do without thinking like I can in English. If I'm out of practice, it can be hard to get back into the zone so-to-speak.

When I woke up tonight I tried to switch to Japanese mode in preparation for our Skype call. My thoughts just kept switching back to English though. I decided that I really shouldn't fight it and that I'd just message my friend and explain what's up. I kinda thought that after a few minutes of text chatting in English I might decide 'what the heck' and chat anyway, so I'd go into Skype rather than message her via Line.

When I got there she'd already left and I realised she'd thought we were meeting at our old time. I messaged her anyway to apologise for the misunderstanding and explain my current situation. I then left the room briefly to clear the dinner dishes. When I returned she'd messaged to thank me for letting her know and then logged out again.

I feel like shit. This is me all over. I do this kind of thing ALL THE TIME. I'm unreliable, selfish and locked up in my own little universe that exists alongside other human beings but doesn't really interweave with them in an emotional and mutually beneficial way.

I don't want to be like this, but it's not as easy as 'just stop being selfish'. It's a default setting. I don't go out of my way to upset people and it's not that I don't care about their feelings. It's more that I just won't go out of my comfort zone for the sake of others, and the resulting consequence is the same.

I've been in touch with the Friends of Northumberland Park and from next week I'll be regularly helping to maintain the Victorian herb garden and hopefully getting more involved in the public events they hold there too. The motivation was this recent surge of spiritual enthusiasm I'm experiencing, but I guess if I make a regular habit of giving my time for the community I'll eventually learn to get out of my self-contained universe and share my existence with other human beings. Who knows, I might even start replying to emails and PM's instead of just reading them and thinking, 'hmm, that was a nice message... now back to my textbook...'.

We're all born selfish. All we know is our immediate needs when we're a baby. We demand attention on our terms and when we want it, without a thought for how tired or emotionally drained our caregivers might be feeling. However, we're meant to learn as we grow that sometimes we need to put ourselves out for the needs of others, that sometimes our needs have to wait, or even be abandoned altogether, even if it means, gods forbid, we have to wait until tomorrow to watch the newest episode of Whale Lords. Why then, at 33 years of age, am I still only willing to spend my time on others so long as I don't have anything else I want to do?

I'm a jerk.

I guess the only balancing factor to this is that I also don't demand any attention or immediate response from anyone else. I don't feel rejected when my messages go unanswered. In fact, chances are, I've forgotten I'd sent them.

Also... The next episode of Whale Lords HAS been uploaded, so if you'll excuse me, I don't have time to listen to your responses to this right now...
    Last edited by Jembru; 05 Jun 2016 at 12:40.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

I don't think you were selfish. Selfish would have not been notifying your friend. Just saying
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Is it just me,or does the whole world seem just a tiny bit off kilter?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...
    Jem, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea what you're selfish from. It sounds to me like you've got too much on your plate and are having a hard time managing it all. Maybe you need to slow down a bit rather than trying to save the world every time you turn your head. The world will need saving for many centuries to come, just do what you can, when you can, but don't over do it. I'm sure your friend will understand. And if she doesn't, then she's not for friend. But, if she knows you even half as well as we do (or if she knows you better than we know you) she'll understand.
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.