Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should kids be punished for mistakes or errors of judgement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should kids be punished for mistakes or errors of judgement?

...as opposed to willful and intentional disobedience?

How? Why?

(and by punish, I mean punative action rather than the natural consequence of the action)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Should kids be punished for mistakes or errors of judgement?

I hope this is what you meant, because I'm really tired and having trouble focusing my thoughts. =)

It depends.

For younger kids, I definitely try to talk to them and explain the consequences of their actions. ("You wouldn't stop hopping while carrying <item x> and knocked down <young child>" or "Because you forgot to pick up your toys until it was bedtime, you lose them until you earn them back.") If the the lapse in judgement is caused by a distraction, I remove that distraction until such time that they understand (Varies based on the child's maturity).

If the consequence is more severe (important item broken, person hurt worse than just a bump, etc), then yes, I will punish them in some way. They will probably lose privileges, and definitely lose the distraction, and possibly have to do extra work to make up for it.

However, everyone makes mistakes, even those who should know better. I believe in explaining it clearly to the child, not berating them to the point of tears like I've seen some people do. The point is to correct the behavior for the future, not shame the child.
    ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Generally, natural consequences occur for mistakes or errors in judgement. I'd prefer to let the kid face his/her own self-created music.

But there are some things where the consequences don't show up until the damage is difficult to repair (drug addiction, for example), or lapses in judgement can be fatal (drinking and driving, for example). In such cases some kind of appropriate action needs to be taken... but what that is will depend on the thing itself, the causes, and the individual concerned.

I can't make a blanket statement...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I used to get punished for making mistakes on tests at school. Usually, I knew the right answer or how to get the right answer, and just added wrong, or wrote a little outside the line, etc., to get marked anything less than 100 (which was disgraceful at home). All this really did, in the big picture, was make me count the days until freedom.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Depends. For instance as a kid (until a certain age, I don't remember. Approximately until age of 8) I was racist because I was raised that way. Then I changed. A lot in the kids' perspectives depends on parenting. So if the kid says something wrong, then they should be told so and have shown the right way.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I honestly do not have a one size fits all response for it. Sometimes punishment maybe a swat on the butt, smack on the hands or being placed on a time out / grounding. It all depends upon what the mistake, error and intentional or unintentional.

But if it's an error such as a school test failure because they didn't study much less try then yes they will get a time out and loose something. If it's a failure say due to not knowing the material or not understanding the material then they won't get the time out or loose something. Loosing something usually like playing on their tablet, watching a favorite show, getting a certain desert or being allowed to stay up a bit later.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

If they are making mistakes because they do not have the knowledge available to them to make an informed decision, then no.

I told you not to say that bad word. Punish
              Says the f word because they overheard you saying it talking to your friend. Not punish.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Punished? No. I think they should be corrected, so they can understand why what they did was wrong, but punishing someone for making a mistake isn't helpful, I feel.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                  Punished? No. I think they should be corrected...
                  Agreed. Correction often comes with a sense of humiliation or shame even if the parent isn't trying to evoke those feelings in their children, so being carefully corrected so that they don't make similar mistakes is usually emotionally evocative enough to make the lesson stick, in my experience.

Punishment is different -- punishment is deserved and justified. Willful disobedience should be corrected more sternly, in my opinion. That's where punishment comes in.
                  No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Love and discipline. Children need love to feel accepted but they need discipline to gain confidence.

I gave both to my children and they gave both to their children. When children learn that there are consequences for their action they learn to think before acting. They have confidence in their actions as long as the "right and wrong" remains constant and the love and discipline remains constant. If the rules constantly change and the discipline constantly changes they they have no firm boundaries upon which to form a secure base. all of my children turned into responsible adults despite the fact that my wife (ex wife now) was an addict and most of the time absent. They were good kids and they have had good kids.
                    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Eh punishment and corrected are the same thing to a kid getting a spankin.

Comment

Spankings are reserved for defiance. An error in judgment can be corrected by having them work to repair damage or simply with an explanation of why they got hurt and how to avoid it the next time.
                        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                          Spankings are reserved for defiance. An error in judgment can be corrected by having them work to repair damage or simply with an explanation of why they got hurt and how to avoid it the next time.
                          I'm guessing you never got the chancla?

Comment

I only spank for stuff that could kill/maim/severely injur you or someone else. Otherwise grounding and loss of privilege are usually adequate for defiant behavior or repeated bad judgement. First time offenses, extenuating circumstances, and genuine mistakes are more of a "clean up your own mess" and tell me what you learned (which sometimes includes looking something up) from it.

IE: If you knock the carton of milk on the floor and spill it, you get to clean it up. If you pour the carton of milk on the floor after I tell you to put it away because you are pissed off at being interrupted from *whatever*, that *whatever* is gone.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Oddly I only got spanked once. I was being a brat to my mother and said 'no!' to her in a very snotty way. I was 8 or 9. I'd always been a good kid. But my dad took a belt to me. Just one smack. Didn't even hurt. But my pride was hurt. I huffed and pouted so much he took me to McDonald's for an ice cream cone.

I guess that wasn't the greatest of stories about spanking. Then again I was 'Daddy's little Princess'. Even had one of those pink shirts with the iron on patch with a kitty kat.

My mother on the other hand. She hit me in the head with her Movado pearl ring at a restaurant once. I was 14 and a complete snotty one at that. I thanked her years later for not pulling up to the Santa Fe dam and dropping me off in a ditch.

Comment

Working...
                              X