Runes, a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runes, a question

I have been looking into creating my own set of runes for a while now. I have the tools I need and the rounds to carve the runes into. My question is regarding the painting/staining of the runes. I have read some that say to use a red dye such as red ochre to do this. Others have suggested that in addition to the dye we should use some of our own blood, to "bind" them to us.

Does anyone have any input of this? What are the ramifications of using my blood in the creation process? What other techniques do you know of?

Thanks for the input,
    Jason

Re: Runes, a question

This is common misunderstanding that comes with new age stuff. My apologies if I come out a bit blunt. You don't have to stain it or blood it whatsoever. People back in the Viking age scratch their rune on a piece of wood or bone and they work just fine. I'm not saying that the new age stuff is wrong, it's just unnecessary.
    My first rune set were made of cutout cardboards and they tell things with incredible accuracy, as well as point me (and few other people too) to the correct direction when it comes to searching for advice.
    What's important is your will and intention when casting the rune. Consecrate the set after its creation if you wish, I find it gave a good vibe to the rune. But personally, that's about as far as I go with the set.
    That said, you can still make it as simple or as fancy as you are able to.

Comment

I make mine out of Sculpey in the colours that I like, and then I stamp the symbols with a screwdriver. They work well enough for me :-)
      She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Thanks for the response. That is where much of my confusion comes from. There is tons of info out there and much of it is contradictory. In some ways it makes sense to use blood in that you are giving of yourself. Anyway thanks for the input.

Jason

Comment

No probs dude. I can understand why the "blooding" somewhat makes sense. Do it by all means if you BELIEVE that it will empower your runes.

From my experience and that of others, the more you use your runes for divination, the more "aligned/smarter" they become. Do it often enough with the right intention, it will come to a point where just about anyone is able to cast the runes with reliable results.

PS. Familiarizing oneself with the runes will be handy. Runes are much more than divination tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Niall_Leppu View Post
            This is common misunderstanding that comes with new age stuff. My apologies if I come out a bit blunt. You don't have to stain it or blood it whatsoever. People back in the Viking age scratch their rune on a piece of wood or bone and they work just fine. I'm not saying that the new age stuff is wrong, it's just unnecessary.
            My first rune set were made of cutout cardboards and they tell things with incredible accuracy, as well as point me (and few other people too) to the correct direction when it comes to searching for advice.
            What's important is your will and intention when casting the rune. Consecrate the set after its creation if you wish, I find it gave a good vibe to the rune. But personally, that's about as far as I go with the set.
            That said, you can still make it as simple or as fancy as you are able to.
            I make no apologies for being blunt, but your entire statement is new age stuff. First and foremost, there is no historical evidence of runes being used for divination. There's just not. No, Tacitus never uses the word "runes." That doesn't mean that runes don't work just fine for divination, but EVERYTHING regarding the use of runes in divination is modern (that is, new age stuff). Second, the Runatal section of the Havamal sets out specific procedures for carving runes. There are several translations, so it might say "stain," "redden," "color," or something else. I can only recall one translation that specifically says "blood," and it's the most modern (and frankly, the author has an agenda).

All that said, it is traditional to blood runes. That, however, doesn't make it a requirement. Blooding the runes is intended to be an act of sacrifice on the part of the user; the runes were, after all, handed down by Odin, and he's all about sacrifice.
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Data collected. Information upgraded. Understanding Corrected.

Thank you Sir

Comment

I recently made and red my own runes. I used red ochre, nine drops of my blood (one for each of the nine worlds) and red wine. My impression has been the blood ties the runes to you and is also a bit of an offering. I have put drops of blood in vodka for the runes as offerings. I view them as spirits represented by the symbols.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                  I make no apologies for being blunt, but your entire statement is new age stuff. First and foremost, there is no historical evidence of runes being used for divination. There's just not. No, Tacitus never uses the word "runes." That doesn't mean that runes don't work just fine for divination, but EVERYTHING regarding the use of runes in divination is modern (that is, new age stuff). Second, the Runatal section of the Havamal sets out specific procedures for carving runes. There are several translations, so it might say "stain," "redden," "color," or something else. I can only recall one translation that specifically says "blood," and it's the most modern (and frankly, the author has an agenda).

All that said, it is traditional to blood runes. That, however, doesn't make it a requirement. Blooding the runes is intended to be an act of sacrifice on the part of the user; the runes were, after all, handed down by Odin, and he's all about sacrifice.
                  Quite right about Tacitus. He didn't say runes. And no, there isn't any evidence of them being used for divination... except a set of astragali (sheep's ankle bones) found in Norfolk - one of them is from a roe deer and is marked with runes (there is a certain amount of uncertainly exactly what the runes mean, it must be said.) Well, these might have had a divinatory purpose, it's true, and they might also have been used for gambling (which, like divination, has certain belief in the power of fate, luck, etc.)

My own feeling is that the main purpose of the Anglo-Saxon runes was as a spiritual guide, and this is actually borne out quite well in the Anglo-Saxon rune poem.

As for the blood... personally I never found it necessary. Could use ear wax maybe
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

There's something that I always keep in mind when I'm making a new set of runes. To learn of them, Odin hung himself, stabbed himself, and starved himself so that he could gain that knowledge. I've found that if he is willing to go through such a sacrifice in that pursuit, it is no big thing for me to cut my hand so that I may add my own blood to my runes.

Comment

I used a wood burner to burn them onto small wooden discs. I pricked my finger with a lancet and put a drop of blood on the back of each one. So, they are mine. I don't believe they predict the future for me, but rather, point out a concept or issue I should meditate on, maybe to get a better understanding of things... like seeing the forest for the trees. I also draw a rune from the phone app. I think any rune that pops up anywhere is just as useful for contemplating.

Disclaimer: just my upg.
                      śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                      śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Originally posted by unseen1 View Post
                        I have been looking into creating my own set of runes for a while now. I have the tools I need and the rounds to carve the runes into. My question is regarding the painting/staining of the runes. I have read some that say to use a red dye such as red ochre to do this. Others have suggested that in addition to the dye we should use some of our own blood, to "bind" them to us.

Does anyone have any input of this? What are the ramifications of using my blood in the creation process? What other techniques do you know of?

Thanks for the input,
                        Jason
                        I agree 100% with Rick on this one. We don't have a single piece of historical evidence that clearly points to runes being used for divination. Therefore, we do not have a single piece of historical evidence that tells us how we MUST construct our runes. What we do have is primary sources which discuss runes as tools for magickal workings, which give tantalizing clues about the 'correct' way to use them, and which give examples of what happens when you aren't very good at using them. So while we have no evidence one way or another to guide us with runes for divination, we do have some guidelines for their use in magick.

Having said that, I blood my runes. But then I also blood most of my tools and some of my charms and workings... so it's not something that I specifically connect with the runes. I use blood for a few reasons... 1) I believe that it creates a connection between myself and my tools; 2) Blood is sacred to me and to share that with the spirits of the runes is a sign of great respect and trust; and 3) I believe that if one wishes to form a deeper connection with the runespirits then one must pay a respectable price (this ties in with what Rick and Munin-Hugin mentioned regarding sacrifice).

I actually don't believe that this is a must-do thing, though. I absolutely believe that un-blooded runes can work for someone... just because that is the price they ask of me does not mean that it's the price they will ask of anyone else.

Comment

Thanks for all the info!

I have a small Dremmel tool that I will use for the carving. I was torn between that or burning. Thorbjorn, I feel the same. I don't see them as a way to see the future, more of an advisory tool, or as you said to help see things clearly.

As a medic I had all I needed just to draw my own blood (wife did not want do it...lol). I collected a couple tubes (more than enough), I figured this gives me some extra to find the right consistency when the ochre is mixed in.

Thanks,
                          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by unseen1
                            Thanks for all the info!

I have a small Dremmel tool that I will use for the carving. I was torn between that or burning. Thorbjorn, I feel the same. I don't see them as a way to see the future, more of an advisory tool, or as you said to help see things clearly.

As a medic I had all I needed just to draw my own blood (wife did not want do it...lol). I collected a couple tubes (more than enough), I figured this gives me some extra to find the right consistency when the ochre is mixed in.

Thanks,
                            Jason
                            I hope you took it in EDTA! Else you'll have a lovely fat clot to try and mix with your ochre.

I draw my blood as needed, but have used it from an EDTA tube once with good success. I find a fresh draw to be the most potent, though. I also use a 25g needle to prick the side of my finger before each reading and flick the blood onto my casting mat... once for Othinn, once for the Nornir and once for the runespirits. Then I let my finger bleed while holding the runes before the cast rather than holding pressure to stop it, which sort of 'feeds' them, so to speak.

Comment

lol!

Yep EDTA, got some red tops to store the mix in

Comment

Working...
                              X