Scotch Eggs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotch Eggs!

I just made these AND had these for the first time tonight, and they were delicious! I wanted to share the extremely simple recipe for them with everyone with hopes of bringing the joy of food I had tonight to you all.

I made 8 eggs, so I'll use that as a basis.

* Almost hard-boil 8 eggs, just enough so that the whites are firm enough that you can peel away the shell, but so that the yolks are a little runny. If they're fully hard, it's no problem either!

* Mix together 2lbs (900g or so) of ground pork, a few handfuls of breadcrumbs, two raw eggs, some Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, a shot of scotch or whiskey (I used maple whiskey), some maple syrup, and whatever other spices you might like.

* With the meat mixture, wrap up each egg so that it is entirely covered, then roll it around in some more breadcrumbs until it's coated. Mine ended up to be about the size of baseballs.

* Heat up a pan with some cooking oil until it is just about "talking" (when it starts popping and making a mess), then add your meat-eggs to the pan. I was only able to fit 4 at a time. If the pan is shallow, you'll have to babysit them, rolling them around every so often so that it gets a nice crust all over.

* Once they are all done, pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes or so on 350 degrees. This will make ensure that the pork is fully cooked through. You can always cut one in half to check if it's done, and add a few more minutes.

* Serve with a nice mustard, ketchup, or whatever condiment you'd like! I only had ketchup tonight, but I'm sure a hollandaise would be wonderful!

* Enjoy the hell out of them!

Re: Scotch Eggs!

Thanks so much for this, Munin! Looks delish!

Pictures?
    She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Picture, as requested!

I had two of them, and boy are they filling! Of course, that is 1/2lb of meat and two eggs ...

Comment

Beautiful! They look perfect! I shall have to try your recipe now.

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Originally posted by October View Post
          Beautiful! They look perfect! I shall have to try your recipe now.
          Thanks! They came out a bit darker than I wanted, but the taste was quite good, if I do say so myself. I'd suggest using a sweeter scotch or whiskey, because even that little bit really stands out, unless of course you WANT that strong flavour. I did a little more looking up on recipes and such about them, and turns out that you can spice them to hte moon and back. Sweet, salty, spicy, there was even one I saw for a heavily Indian influence with curry and cinnamon (which makes sense since supposedly they are based on kofta, middle eastern meatballs).

The story goes that the current form of the scotch egg was basically a traveler's snack. Because it consists of a relatively hearty meat and a boiled egg, it would be able to stay decently preserved for a number of days before spoiling. Also , it could easily be wrapped up in a piece of parchment, cloth, or even leaves and carried along for trips. With a large amount of protein, coupled with just how filling they are, it would make quite a solid meal while on the road. Later, after being dressed up with fancy sauces and exotic spices, it could be often found in prepared baskets for the wealthy on picnics.

Comment

Lol, they never last that long, in my experience. They get eaten looooong before they go off.

But thanks for the info! I've only ever had them one way. MY mum has been experimenting with homemade breakfast sausage, so she might take a crack at these, knowing how customisable they are. Thanks for all your hard work and generosity :-)

Comment

Those look very tasty,for me however unless someone does them(I am a VERY bad cook) I will most likely never taste them.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I've had Scotch Eggs at ren festivals, and they were great! I shall try your recipie!
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Those look delicious. I want to try one badly.
                  Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

You did beautifully!!! I know they are made with hard boiled eggs but I really really want to make them with a soft boiled egg, or poached.
                    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I've never had them with whiskey in them before! Where I lived they're usually sold without it, and when I used to make them I never used whiskey. But yours look fantastic.

While on the subject, did you know there is a veggie version called Welsh eggs? True - using a leek mixture instead of the sausagement (ground pork) but basically the same method. They're brilliant too.
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                        You did beautifully!!! I know they are made with hard boiled eggs but I really really want to make them with a soft boiled egg, or poached.
                        They're "traditionally" made with soft boiled, but since it was my first time making them I didn't want to risk getting yolk all over the place since I knew I'd probably break the whites while making them!

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                          They're "traditionally" made with soft boiled, but since it was my first time making them I didn't want to risk getting yolk all over the place since I knew I'd probably break the whites while making them!
                          That's interesting because where I live they're always hard boiled. Must be lots of different traditions!
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

The traditional ingredients are all over the place! Some say dill, others red pepper, then there's hard vs soft boiled, baked vs fried ... One even said to line the cups of a cupcake pan with the meat mixture, crack the raw egg into there, then seal and bake. I think it's one of those recipes that really is up to the cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                              That's interesting because where I live they're always hard boiled. Must be lots of different traditions!
                              I don't think I have ever seen them made with a soft boiled or a poached egg before but I want to see if I can. I love poached eggs and I personally think it would be a culinary challenge.
                              "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Working...
                              X