Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First head transplant

Thoughts?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: First head transplant

I read of it. Scary. Why would anyone do this? Except for fun. Or if their body doesn't work properly.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
      I read of it. Scary. Why would anyone do this? Except for fun. Or if their body doesn't work properly.
      Except for fun. I send you a million virtual purring kittens for this.

Comment

A bit radical...But the first heart transplant was too....but sounds like science fiction still.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I don't believe that it is currently possible to be successful with this...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Give it time,and they will be able to use a 3d printer to make you a body...they did that for a rib cage transplant believe it or not..

- - - Updated - - -

Ok found the story.
            http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-1...b-cage/6773188

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Prickly Pear View Post
              Except for fun. I send you a million virtual purring kittens for this.
              I don't take the risk.
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

If this works, it'll start the most bizzarre crime wave ever.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                  Give it time,and they will be able to use a 3d printer to make you a body...they did that for a rib cage transplant believe it or not..

- - - Updated - - -

Ok found the story.
                  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-1...b-cage/6773188
                  Now this I could see working better than a whole body trandplant. Give us a decade of doing organ and limb transplants with bioprinted organs and limbs, and then graduated to a bioprinted body with your own DNA and based on your preexisting bauplan...minimize rejection and (not sure what the technical term might be) what I'll call anatomical confusion (hey, my brain learned to walk with bigger feet and shorter legs, my center of gravity is off...and crap, I'm sick of hitting my head on things because I'm taller now...etc).

My big question/doubt for this plan is the problem of the spinal cord...

We still don't have a handle on this, for say...patients with spinal injuries. Compounding that with the problems of organ transplants, increased by at least 90% (the amount of the body being replaced)...I can't see trading the (no matter how crappy) body you got for being a quadrapelegic:

Although the most obvious symptom is impairment to the limbs, functioning is also impaired in the torso. This can mean a loss or impairment in controlling bowel and bladder, sexual function, digestion, breathing and other autonomic functions. Furthermore, sensation is usually impaired in affected areas. This can manifest as numbness, reduced sensation or burning neuropathic pain.

Secondarily, because of their depressed functioning and immobility, tetraplegics are often more vulnerable to pressure sores, osteoporosis and fractures, frozen joints, spasticity, respiratory complications and infections, autonomic dysreflexia, deep vein thrombosis, and cardiovascular disease.
                  Severity depends on both the level at which the spinal cord is injured and the extent of the injury.

An individual with an injury at C1 (the highest cervical vertebra, at the base of the skull), will probably lose function from the neck down and be ventilator-dependent. An individual with a C7 injury may lose function from the chest down but still retain use of the arms and much of the hands.

The extent of the injury is also important. A complete severing of the spinal cord will result in complete loss of function from that vertebra down. A partial severing or even bruising of the spinal cord results in varying degrees of mixed function and paralysis. A common misconception with Tetraplegia is that the victim cannot move legs, arms or any of the major function; this is often not the case. Some tetraplegic individuals can walk and use their hands, as though they did not have a spinal cord injury, while others may use wheelchairs and they can still have function of their arms and mild finger movement, again, that varies on the spinal cord damage.

It is common to have movement in limbs, such as the ability to move the arms but not the hands or to be able to use the fingers but not to the same extent, as before the injury. Furthermore, the deficit in the limbs may not be the same on both sides of the body; either left or right side may be more affected, depending on the location of the lesion on the spinal cord.

(lazy source)

And honestly, I think we should call it a body transplant, not a head transplant...the head holds the brain, and the brain is the organ that is the basis for our personality and subsequently our personhood.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Not to mention cell memory as shown in a very weird movie where the body retained its memory so both personality's remained in the combined body and head(If you know the name of that movie,post it)

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe it was this one...cheezy movie..but you know..The Thing with Two Heads
                    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069372/

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      Not to mention cell memory as shown in a very weird movie where the body retained its memory so both personality's remained in the combined body and head(If you know the name of that movie,post it)
                      One of Heinlein's books had that as an issue... Can't remember which one, off hand... I Will Fear No Evil
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It sounds like an unlikely experiment to me. I don't see it working
                        And how are they going to find a body? Ethically yips have to choose a body of someone that's already died and if they're dead it would have had to be completely for a reason related to the heador the body would be useless. And what are the chances of finding a perfect donor?
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Yup,body would not fit in a beer cooler...they always carry the heart in a cooler in the movies...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

So far it has been impossible to connect the nerve bundle from the brain to the body. You would be a paralyzed deaf mute. It's not really living to me but others may have different views.
                            It might be a good punishment for serial killers and child molesters.
                            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                            I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I don't think you would be deaf and mute. Your brain controls speech and hearing above the spinal cord. So long as the brain continues to work you'd have to cut off the connection far above the neck line. Potentially some direct connections between brain and organs

Comment

Working...
                              X