Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PF Recipe Share and Challenge

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

PF Recipe Share and Challenge

After my recent attempt at making scotch eggs and posting the recipe up here (which had much more of a response than I thought it would), it gave me an idea. Would folks be interested in having a little food fun? The idea is that a person goes ahead and posts up a recipe to share, and then others attempt to use that recipe and make the dish in question. Then, after making the dish, you've got to post a picture of your attempt, and then you get to post a recipe for others to try. If people think this might be a fun idea, I'll start off with a really easy recipe right now and see how it goes. I haven't made them yet (will do so over the weekend, I think) so I can't post pictures but I'll post up the process!

With Autumn on it's way, and all of the great flavors that go along with it in the form of it's seasonal harvests, here's a cute little snack/dessert that takes only a few minutes to make, and even less time to be devoured.

Apple Bites
    You'll Need: Apple (whatever kind you prefer), wonton or eggroll wrappers, cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, confectioner's sugar, cooking oil, and butter

* Finely dice up the apples and put them into a bowl
    * With the wonton or eggroll wrappers, cut them into about 3in (7.5cm) squares
    * Spoon a bit of the apples into the middle of one of the squares, then add a pinch of brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon, as well a a sliver of butter
    * Place another square of wrapper over the top, and seal the edges (usually done simply by using water and pressing down)
    * Heat your oil to about 350f (190c), and drop your little pouches into the hot oil until they're a crispy, golden brown. (You could give them a little egg wash if you want to, but I usually do without)
    * After you take them out, simply sprinkle the confectioner's sugar over the top and enjoy!
    * If you're feeling really adventurous, you can also dust them with cocoa powder for that little chocolaty bitterness, or chocolate syrup to keep it sweet, or even some finely grated sharp cheddar cheese (It's a northern New England thing. Sharp cheddar and hot apples tastes amazing)

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Pick-N-Mix Pagan

Re: PF Recipe Share and Challenge

My kitchen witch heart is singing! I love you, MWAH! Such a great idea.

I'm not really sure where to get eggroll/wonton wrappers...YES! There's an Asian market by the tea bar. I'll look there and get back to you.

*so excited*
    She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

Quote Originally Posted by October View Post
    My kitchen witch heart is singing! I love you, MWAH! Such a great idea.

I'm not really sure where to get eggroll/wonton wrappers...YES! There's an Asian market by the tea bar. I'll look there and get back to you.

*so excited*
    I get mine at the local Stop and Shop grocery store. There, it's in the produce area for some reason ...

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Oh! I do something really similar to this, except I use this recipe for the "wrapper":
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    Oh! I do something really similar to this, except I use this recipe for the "wrapper":

Do you have a vegan sub for the yogurt in that recipe thal?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    Do you have a vegan sub for the yogurt in that recipe thal?
    You'd lose the tangy flavor, but you could likely use a milk substitute...you might have to mess with the amounts a bit, but really its a just a matter of getting the right consistency.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    You'd lose the tangy flavor, but you could likely use a milk substitute...you might have to mess with the amounts a bit, but really its a just a matter of getting the right consistency.

I use the same recipe, plus and egg and some extra milk to make pancakes...

TBH, at this point, I eyeball all of this.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Pick-N-Mix Pagan

I attempted these tonight but I must have gotten the wrong wonton wrappers. So I made bread and butter pudding instead. I'll try again later this week hopefully.
    She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches.

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

I am totally down for this.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

I've been super forgetful and keep not getting the wrappers at the store every time I go. Maybe next time I'll remember to add it to my list.