PF Recipe Share and Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PF Recipe Share and Challenge

After my recent attempt at making scotch eggs and posting the recipe up here (which had much more of a response than I thought it would), it gave me an idea. Would folks be interested in having a little food fun? The idea is that a person goes ahead and posts up a recipe to share, and then others attempt to use that recipe and make the dish in question. Then, after making the dish, you've got to post a picture of your attempt, and then you get to post a recipe for others to try. If people think this might be a fun idea, I'll start off with a really easy recipe right now and see how it goes. I haven't made them yet (will do so over the weekend, I think) so I can't post pictures but I'll post up the process!

With Autumn on it's way, and all of the great flavors that go along with it in the form of it's seasonal harvests, here's a cute little snack/dessert that takes only a few minutes to make, and even less time to be devoured.

Apple Bites
    You'll Need: Apple (whatever kind you prefer), wonton or eggroll wrappers, cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, confectioner's sugar, cooking oil, and butter

* Finely dice up the apples and put them into a bowl
    * With the wonton or eggroll wrappers, cut them into about 3in (7.5cm) squares
    * Spoon a bit of the apples into the middle of one of the squares, then add a pinch of brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon, as well a a sliver of butter
    * Place another square of wrapper over the top, and seal the edges (usually done simply by using water and pressing down)
    * Heat your oil to about 350f (190c), and drop your little pouches into the hot oil until they're a crispy, golden brown. (You could give them a little egg wash if you want to, but I usually do without)
    * After you take them out, simply sprinkle the confectioner's sugar over the top and enjoy!
    * If you're feeling really adventurous, you can also dust them with cocoa powder for that little chocolaty bitterness, or chocolate syrup to keep it sweet, or even some finely grated sharp cheddar cheese (It's a northern New England thing. Sharp cheddar and hot apples tastes amazing)

Re: PF Recipe Share and Challenge

My kitchen witch heart is singing! I love you, MWAH! Such a great idea.

I'm not really sure where to get eggroll/wonton wrappers...YES! There's an Asian market by the tea bar. I'll look there and get back to you.

*so excited*
    She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Originally posted by October View Post
      My kitchen witch heart is singing! I love you, MWAH! Such a great idea.

I'm not really sure where to get eggroll/wonton wrappers...YES! There's an Asian market by the tea bar. I'll look there and get back to you.

*so excited*
      I get mine at the local Stop and Shop grocery store. There, it's in the produce area for some reason ...

Comment

Oh! I do something really similar to this, except I use this recipe for the "wrapper":
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          Oh! I do something really similar to this, except I use this recipe for the "wrapper":

Do you have a vegan sub for the yogurt in that recipe thal?
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
            Do you have a vegan sub for the yogurt in that recipe thal?
            You'd lose the tangy flavor, but you could likely use a milk substitute...you might have to mess with the amounts a bit, but really its a just a matter of getting the right consistency.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              You'd lose the tangy flavor, but you could likely use a milk substitute...you might have to mess with the amounts a bit, but really its a just a matter of getting the right consistency.

I use the same recipe, plus and egg and some extra milk to make pancakes...

TBH, at this point, I eyeball all of this.
              sigpic

Comment

I attempted these tonight but I must have gotten the wrong wonton wrappers. So I made bread and butter pudding instead. I'll try again later this week hopefully.

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

I am totally down for this.
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I've been super forgetful and keep not getting the wrappers at the store every time I go. Maybe next time I'll remember to add it to my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                      I've been super forgetful and keep not getting the wrappers at the store every time I go. Maybe next time I'll remember to add it to my list.
                      So what do they look like, out of curiosity? And how fo you use them? (Asking for a friend)

The ones I got were translucent and hard like plastic but when I managed to get them softer and stickier by sucking on them. Was I supposed to boil them? There were no instructions on the back, so...

Comment

Originally posted by October View Post
                        So what do they look like, out of curiosity? And how fo you use them? (Asking for a friend)

The ones I got were translucent and hard like plastic but when I managed to get them softer and stickier by sucking on them. Was I supposed to boil them? There were no instructions on the back, so...
                        These are what I use. They're soft and doughy. The only time they get hard is if they're left out too long.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hmm ok. I'll keep an eye out for something like that.

Comment

You will find them in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Over by produce kinda with the pre-made/pre-cut stuff. There are two types there ware wanton wrappers and there are eggroll wrappers. Wantons are going to be circles and the wantons are rectangles.
                            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Okay, guys, here they are in five step pictures! I have to comment though, that the results are NOT the same ones I was making for the first few pics. I screwed up and accidentally added cumin instead of cinnamon ... OOPS! So I had to make a new batch.

Comment

Working...
                              X