Ahmed the Clock Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ahmed the Clock Maker

The problem with D is that too many people are ignorant* and therefore paranoid.

*I'm not saying this as an insult to their intelligence, I'm saying that general things that people used to know about have become so specialized that they are unrecognizable outside of their field.

....but in this particular instance, there are about a gazillion things the school and police should have looked at and done before they freaked out... And yeah, the local girl that got expelled (later rescinded) for *taking away a razor blade* from a girl trying hurt hersle in the school bathroom aside and turning it in to the school aside (my point being that we overreact a lot), if you look at statistics concerning disciplinary actions and how schools handle kids, there is a huge institutional bias. And, as the parent of an ADHD student whose best friend is black (he also has ADHD0, I can attest to the difference if how the kids have been treated (and Sharkbait's buddy is adorable and a riot)--with Sharkbait, the assumption is almost always that he's trying and doing his best to be and do good...with his friend, less so. Anecdotal, yes...but if really excellent and aware teachers do this (this year's teachers are great), what about ones that aren't?

Put it this way....whether the problem is "real" (actually caused by his race and religion" ir not, it irrelevent. The fact that there are people in the general public that have defended the actions of the school and the police on the basis of the kids ethnic and religious background should be enough evidence that culturally, there is a problem ...and, if you research the city gov't of this town, it seems to start at the top, so yeah' I buy the idea that racism had a role in not giving this child the same benefit of the doubt that other children would have gotten.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Huh. I guess I am blessed by working in the only school in America where the teachers & administrators are even half way decent.

Odd, considering it is such a red neck town.

But I have been presented with overwhelming evidence of bad behavior, so I will shut up now.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

So I read a few news articles to get the gist of what really happened. So I went straight to the Texas news. The Dallas news.

Kid was in a robotics club in middle school.
        Kid wants to make something to show his skills in the new high school.
        Kid shows clock to his Engineering teacher (didn't see that coming, huh)
        Teacher says don't show it to any other teachers. *apparently engineer teacher is a horrible teacher who doesn't give a flying f about student safety, right?
        Kid keeps clock in backback.
        it beeps.
        Teacher wants to know what's up.
        Kid shows teacher the clock.
        Teacher says it doesn't look like a clock (at this point teacher assumed it's a bomb)
        So what does teacher do with said bomb? Just holds on to it. This teacher also doesn't give a shit about student safety.
        Kid gets carted away (I guess by now dumb adults realize it's not a bomb, or you know EVACUATE the fucking building already)
        Police question the kid. Ask what it is.
        Kid says it's a clock
        Police don't believe him.
        They were skeptical because he just kept saying it was a clock.
        Because, you know....it was.

These people need Jesus.

F everything about these adults and their mistakes.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I also think people have been brainwashed by the images of bombs in Movies. If it blinks or beeps it must be a bomb...but video games also blink and beep...
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

We'll it will be alright now he got an invite to the White House.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

In City collage electronics one guy did a special project...a Binary clock. A Binary clock is read like binary notation... like this 10011010

and a pic.

Kind of a nerds toy...but you get the picture

Link
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                So I read a few news articles to get the gist of what really happened. So I went straight to the Texas news. The Dallas news.

Kid was in a robotics club in middle school.
                Kid wants to make something to show his skills in the new high school.
                Kid shows clock to his Engineering teacher (didn't see that coming, huh)
                Teacher says don't show it to any other teachers. *apparently engineer teacher is a horrible teacher who doesn't give a flying f about student safety, right?
                Kid keeps clock in backback.
                it beeps.
                Teacher wants to know what's up.
                Kid shows teacher the clock.
                Teacher says it doesn't look like a clock (at this point teacher assumed it's a bomb)
                So what does teacher do with said bomb? Just holds on to it. This teacher also doesn't give a shit about student safety.
                Kid gets carted away (I guess by now dumb adults realize it's not a bomb, or you know EVACUATE the fucking building already)
                Police question the kid. Ask what it is.
                Kid says it's a clock
                Police don't believe him.
                They were skeptical because he just kept saying it was a clock.
                Because, you know....it was.

These people need Jesus.

F everything about these adults and their mistakes.
                That's what I figured happened. =( Disgusting.

Students who have brought hunting knives to school, or had bb guns or other items in their car have only been suspended, not arrested.
                ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Could this allllll how been shut down if the engineering teacher came and vouched for the kid that it was a clock.

Comment

Ahmed was still suspended until today (Thursday.)

Silly bloody school. Here is Tylluan's advice for them. When in a hole, stop digging.
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

The boy was never arrested. He was detained to ascertain the threat. He was released from custody without charges being filed. No Arrest, no foul. The police in this country can detain you for 72 hours without charges. You do have the right to ask if you are being charged and if not you have the right to leave. The boy was ignorant of the law and his rights. He could have asked for his parents or a lawyer at ant time.

The police have no obligation to tell you your rights unless they are charging you with a crime.
                      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                        The boy was never arrested. He was detained to ascertain the threat. He was released from custody without charges being filed. No Arrest, no foul. The police in this country can detain you for 72 hours without charges. You do have the right to ask if you are being charged and if not you have the right to leave. The boy was ignorant of the law and his rights. He could have asked for his parents or a lawyer at ant time.

The police have no obligation to tell you your rights unless they are charging you with a crime.
                        Sorry a 14 year old kid isn't Judge Judy.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post

But if he was never arrested then he had the right to leave. So why handcuff him? And a fourteen year old boy in handcuffs doesn't always know his rights... I bet they don't actually teach them in school.
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Let's look at prejudice.

Students Suspended For Clothing Displaying Confederate Flag

Supreme ruled way back in the day that protest clothing worn in schools is free speech, unless it is "materially and substantially disruptive" (Tinker Decision 1969).

So what happened?
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I do think there is something deeper going on here. There just seems to be more of a fear culture in the US than there is in a lot of other countries. Like, my cousin in Canada made a KNIFE in shop class. Like, a hand-tooled blade and carved handle sort of deal. It was treated like the useful tool it was, he gave it to my aunt as a gift for her kitchen (it's a sharp chopping blade), and I believe he got a good grade on the project. Yeah, a knife can be used as a weapon, but most people use knives as tools. And that's how it was treated.

Honestly, I think treating kids like criminals before they do anything creates a tense atmosphere and creates the kind of problems it sets out to solve.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                                But if he was never arrested then he had the right to leave. So why handcuff him? And a fourteen year old boy in handcuffs doesn't always know his rights... I bet they don't actually teach them in school.
                                They actually do cover most basic Constitutional rights in school. At least they cover enough to make clear that when taken into police custody, you shut up and ask for a lawyer. The problem is that civics which is where most people (I took an elective that had more but most won't) will get a half-decent grounding in the issue was a 10th grade class for me and he's just starting 9th grade. I don't remember how much the topic is covered in earlier grades and I'm not familiar with his school district which may follow a different order.
                                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                                X