Organ Donation and Paganism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Organ Donation and Paganism

From a personal point of view, it's the giving of life, similar to Iduna and her apples. I also don't believe that any part of my religious practice will ever include willfully causing suffering for others. But that's also kind of part of my Christian upbringing; that the worst kind of sin is that of inaction. If I can give for someone else, I will.

From an honor-your-ancestors point of view, my forbears were nothing if not practical people. And I sure as heck won't be needing them

Comment

I've never really viewed organ donation as related to a specific religion. I've decided to donate my organs when I die to help whoever I can. I wouldn't think a Christian would care if they got my kidney if they were dying. You know? It's a kidney to help them and no one is going to tell them that I was an Egyptian Wiccan.
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Organ donation is one of those things I've never had any dilemmas about. The more they'll chop my body, the better. I have some very unfashionable views about the body anyway. It just hangs there. Sure, I'd like to be healthy and my organs and things are doing a decent job keeping me alive but that's it. When it's no use for me anymore, just take whatever you can from it. Eat it, grind it to pieces and make leather of it, whatever. As long as it's useful, it's okay for me.

(Don't get it wrong, I'm not for mutilating dead bodies in general.)
        baah.

Comment

Has anyone ever given thought to donating their body to science or a medical school after death rather than burial or cremation?

It's not quite in the same league as saving lives via organ donation, but it can be a really valuable contribution to the teaching of the next generation of doctors and the like.

Comment

I think you can actually do both if you want too; like whatever they can't use goes to science sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
              Has anyone ever given thought to donating their body to science or a medical school after death rather than burial or cremation?

It's not quite in the same league as saving lives via organ donation, but it can be a really valuable contribution to the teaching of the next generation of doctors and the like.
              I'm donating my tissues to this organisation.
              But not my body as a whole, no.
              baah.

Comment

If I did, it wouldn't be for medical science...they chop you up and dole you out. I'm not squeamish, but after the torso incident, its not something I'm down with.

I'd donate myself to the Body Farm.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

You've made me think of something. Would donating your body to science save on funeral bills? You see, I have a horrible fear of dying before JP and leaving him with my body to dispose of. I looked at life insurance but ensuring the money would go to JP is a bit tricky because we're not married. I'm also thinking of planning my funeral now, and then trying to stay alive long enough to pay it off myself. If we didn't have to hire a hearse, buy a coffin and all that, I'd totally be up for donating to medical science.

Some of you might remember me posting about it at the time, but the first time I visited my ex in Germany, only the second time we'd met, he took me on a date to see the Korperwelten exhibition. I know, I know.. they say romance is dead but.. ah wait..

Anyone else seen that?? Those bodies were donated too. Would anyone be up for that, is is it a step too far?
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

My father is signed up. I have a number to call and have them come get him.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    You've made me think of something. Would donating your body to science save on funeral bills? You see, I have a horrible fear of dying before JP and leaving him with my body to dispose of. I looked at life insurance but ensuring the money would go to JP is a bit tricky because we're not married. I'm also thinking of planning my funeral now, and then trying to stay alive long enough to pay it off myself. If we didn't have to hire a hearse, buy a coffin and all that, I'd totally be up for donating to medical science.

Some of you might remember me posting about it at the time, but the first time I visited my ex in Germany, only the second time we'd met, he took me on a date to see the Korperwelten exhibition. I know, I know.. they say romance is dead but.. ah wait..

Anyone else seen that?? Those bodies were donated too. Would anyone be up for that, is is it a step too far?
                    They told my dad once they are done with the body it's cremated and we get the ashes. All no charge to us. Not sure he would want to be on permanent display anywhere.

Comment

Barring disease and incompatibility, there is no feasible reason not to give your organs to those who can make use of them, whether it be to science or to a living, breathing human in need. I do not believe we have souls and therefore, when we die, the only thing left of us is flesh.

May as well donate the meat to those who can use it to carry life onward for the next generation. Circle of life, and all that.
                      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                        May as well donate the meat to those who can use it to carry life onward for the next generation. Circle of life, and all that.
                        This makes me think of the fact that here in Adelaide, you can donate your deceased livestock or horse to Zoos SA to be fed to the lions and such (providing it was healthy with no withholding periods).

Anyhoo... /derail.

Comment

My faith absolutely has no reason not to. I'm a donor, and a Pantheist.

I give blood. I know I was glad it was there when I needed it. One of my dear friends has a transplanted heart.

If my organs can keep on keeping on after the rest of me has given out, more power to them!

Comment

Working...
                          X