Organ Donation and Paganism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organ Donation and Paganism

So, I've been reading about religion and how it relates to organ donation; but almost all of the accounts I've read have been from more mainstream religions, usually Christianity.

Since this forum has such a diverse group of people and practices, I'm curious to see how different Pagan beliefs have effected the view of organ donation (I'd be especially interested in hearing a Kemetic point-of-view). If you feel comfortable sharing, how do you do feel about organ donation, specifically in relation to your spiritual/religious beliefs?

Re: Organ Donation and Paganism

Given the context of our time, I view it as a kind of sacrifice. A different spin on the Latin Do ut des ("I give so that you may give"), closer to the pay it forward​ mentality.

Comment

Well, my Paganism has a huge humanitarian streak, so I'd pretty much call it a requirement....if you can, you should.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

That doesn't seem to be a topic tied to religion for me but for some it might.

Comment

I have some mixed feelings regarding organ and blood donation from a spiritual point of view. On one hand I do consider my blood to be sacred and my DNA to be a direct link to my body-soul complex, which creates some questions as to whether any donation would form complicated connections that I'd rather not have formed. But on the other hand, I am a healer by nature and I do not believe in wastage... if the death of my physical body can yield organs to save someone's life then I will gladly give them. If a loved one needed a kidney or part of my liver, I would gladly give it.

At the moment, that drive to heal and save lives rather than let potentially useable organs go to waste is stronger than my concern over giving away my organs. I am a registered organ donor and have been for years, including eyes if appropriate. But I don't give blood. Blood donation is something I'm still working on... I haven't decided where I stand on that yet.

Comment

To be honest I would rather we worked on making organ donation obselete. Rather than vat-grown meat I would prefer vat-grown organs. Think about the benefits: Minimium rejection risks, increased availability, no deaths due to lack of donors...

Comment

For me, they can take it if they can use it. Plus, I'm going to end up as part of other organisms anyway. My body will be food, soil, or inhaled particles of ash. Which is really part of my spiritual outlook. There is a beauty in becoming buzzard poop .
              Last edited by Prickly Pear; 19 Sep 2015, 07:24. Reason: Tablet typing is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Prickly Pear View Post
                For me, they can take it if they can use it. Plus, I'm going to end up as part of other organisms anyway. My body will be food, soil, or inhaled particles of ash. Which is really part of my spiritual outlook. There is a beauty in becoming buzzard poop .
                I like to think that should my essence somehow survive death and reincarnate as another lifeform, that I should be reborn a mushroom.

Comment

Since I can't be a donor it's not something I ponder upon to much. Being stationed in Europe and Mad Cow sort of ensured at this time I can't give blood or body parts.

From a spiritual perspective I believe my ancestry is carried in my blood so in many ways it's not something I care to share. Well not share as a donation can't help but share it through a child being conceived for instance.

Body wise I think the body is simply a vessel that is used during this life. Once the vessel is dropped and the spirit within released to cross the veil then what is done with it is of little concern. I realize it's sort of contradictory in that the blood flows through the body and nourishes the body so some aspects of the ancestry is carried within each organ. Yet the meat shell becomes just that, a shell to be used to repair or replace for other shells.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Ooh, or a really cool slime mold! Along with the mushroom idea that is.

Comment

Here comes the subject of the health of both the one who gives the organ and the one who receives it. After all, there has to be compatibility between the organ and the body of the person at risk. Plus I can't turn away from what will happen to the body of the giver. If there is a risk to the giver to be hurt, then no. It has to be a win/win. If everything is okay, then I think the organ should be given.
                      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I'm in agreement with those who would rather see their organs go to good use after death. To save another human's life without any effort besides registering as an organ doner, is a wonderful thought. They can take anything, although I doubt they'd want my eyes; not the best eyesight ever!

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post

Body wise I think the body is simply a vessel that is used during this life.
                        I'm sorry to single you out, and realise I'm nit-picking and probably taking your wording too literally, but it leads nicely to my next point. You see, for me, my body will never (again) be seen as 'simply a vessel'. I absolutely consider it a part of my soul now. It's my physical layer, the part of my soul that allows me to interact with the world around me. It is, however, a part of my soul that is only with me a short while. One day it will indeed become 'simply a (empty) vessel' and at that point, I don't think it matters whether or not it rots there and then, or someone else carries part of it around for a little while. I just hope that if some of my personality is transferred to them, as the Daily Mail would insist happens, that they get one of my less crazy traits.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Jembru, I'd like to add my own perspective, if that's okay, by using your and monsno's opinions. In Kemetism from what I know the body is both a part of the soul and a vessel.
                          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

For me the body is an environmental suit that allows me to live a physical life. I am a spiritual being in a physical world, so I wear a suit; an "earth suit" as it were.
                            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                            I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                              ..I'm sorry to single you out, and realise I'm nit-picking and probably taking your wording too literally, but it leads nicely to my next point. You see, for me, my body will never (again) be seen as 'simply a vessel'. I absolutely consider it a part of my soul now. It's my physical layer, the part of my soul that allows me to interact with the world around me. It is, however, a part of my soul that is only with me a short while. One day it will indeed become 'simply a (empty) vessel' and at that point, I don't think it matters whether or not it rots there and then, or someone else carries part of it around for a little while. I just hope that if some of my personality is transferred to them, as the Daily Mail would insist happens, that they get one of my less crazy traits.
                              Not a problem. I think the body is an important aspect while it is occupied by the totality of the Spirit or Soul. In that capacity I suppose I'm some what influenced by the Kemetic gods / goddesses. Of course can not rule out the animism aspects of my Shamanic beliefs which see all things as having a soul or spirit.

The only part of the vessel that I have doubts about is the heart. I believe that to be the seat of life and interface between the spirit, the physical and to a degree the psychological / intellect, and perhaps the union point of the physical and the shadow. As such I know it can be transferred to another yet I think then aspects of its original owner / user will manifest inside whomever has received it.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X