Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A bit overwhelmed... some Celtic/pagan book recommendations?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit overwhelmed... some Celtic/pagan book recommendations?

After a few weeks of doing research on my own, I'm getting a bit tired of sifting through a whole lot of crap to find one or two good, informative reads, I'm feeling a little discouraged.

I'm sure you all know how overwhelming doing research can be, I'd like some recommendations from you guys if you don't mind.

Celtic and Nordic Paganism is very interesting to me so far and I'd like to read more on those subjects and just paganism in general. I just don't want to waste my money on commercial garbage.

Re: A bit overwhelmed... some Celtic/pagan book recommendations?

I'd really start with broad strokes. Our forums own Tylluan Penry has a lovely book titled: The Magical World of Anglo Saxons, which is both informative, well researched, and thought provoking.

You can get a lot of the sacred texts like the Edda's for free or cheap as well. A lot of the Germanic peoples shared a similar spiritual practice and understanding, so that helps.

Comment

Thanks! I'll check it out! I'm just looking for some general stuff really so I can find what interests me and delve deeper into that.

Comment

One thing you need to decide when you start out is if you're interested in historically accurate paganism or revival paganism. Modern Celtic-flavoured religion is very different from what Iron Age people practiced, and you'd be looking at very different sources.
        She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
          I'd really start with broad strokes. Our forums own Tylluan Penry has a lovely book titled: The Magical World of Anglo Saxons, which is both informative, well researched, and thought provoking.

You can get a lot of the sacred texts like the Edda's for free or cheap as well. A lot of the Germanic peoples shared a similar spiritual practice and understanding, so that helps.
          Aw, thank you! Most of my books are available very cheaply as Kindle downloads (there is even one about Ice Age Spirituality - I kid you not!) and there is a 'Look Inside' feature on Amazon so you can check and see whether it's the sort of thing you're looking for. Use your library too - that saves money.
          And at callmeclemens says, many of the sacred texts like the Edda's can be found online. The sacred texts site is always worth a look!
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Some like to say that Religion is how people make sense out of, or relate to the World around them. With your interest being in Celtic and Norse spirituality you're going to find this to true.

I think you'll find that the Ancient "European" people believed in many of the same things, and often worshiped the same Gods. So with some diligent research you can start to see the differences in the way they related to the Gods and how that allowed them to have a uniquely beautiful spiritual practice.

I'll only advise that if your coming from a Christian background , many make the early misjudgement of swapping it out for something that fits comfortably in the void it leaves behind. I sought a spiritual harmony with the world around me before I was even prepared to look at other religion seriously.

Comment

If you're interested in European paganism generally, I would strongly recommend Dowdens' Search for European Paganism. Marvellous book.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

There is a monthly podcast broadcast by the Order of Bards Ovates and Druids called 'Druidcast.' There are a few good lectures in some of their episodes by one of their historians on the origins of revival Druidism and a couple of other topics relating to history. He did an overview on the world history of dragons recently which was fun to listen to. I'll see if I can find the episodes today. There are quite a few to sift through and they aren't named by topic because they tend to be a hodgepodge.

Comment

http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...397#post196397 Here is a link to one of our threads that already give a good list of resources.

Comment

Here's a couple of good sites with book recommendations and other stuff

Jotun's Bane Kindred is an Asatru or Heathen kindred in the Kansas City Area. JBK built and maintains the Temple of Our Heathen Gods resource website. We provide hundreds of free books in our on-line Temple Library. Images of the Aesir, Vanir, and other Asatru subjects can be found in our Asatru Artwork Archive. We have resources for finding other Asatruars and Heathens in your local area. Our website is always growing and improving.

And some interesting books:
                    A World full of Gods: an inquiry into polytheism / John Michael Greer
                    Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe / Hilda Ellis Davidson
                    Celtic Gods and Heroes / Marie-Louise Sjoestedt
                    A Practical Heathen's Guide to Asatru / Patricia Lafayllve
                    The Path through the Forest: a Druid Guidebook / Julie White & Graeme Talboys

Comment

The Practical Pagan by Dana Eilers ... The first concept in this book is not figuring out what a person believes but what a person does not believe ... That will narrow the choices down considerably for those that are still looking for a path ... Another good read is Buckland's Guide to Witchcraft ... (ducks behind the couch) ...
                      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
                      X