Various Veterans Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Various Veterans Issues

I was a bit surprised this thread was revived,BUT it is a good subject. I went into the Navy to avoid doing ground pounding. Going in I avoided the less than having a choice aspect of the draft. That and I wanted to be in the Navy like my Uncle. There is now a suggestion from the military that women should also register for the new draft.

See here.

There was a certain negative back blast from coming out of the military during the Vietnam war.

There was a perception that Vietnam Vets were dangerous,and unstable,so they were not as welcome in the work place.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
      I was a bit surprised this thread was revived,BUT it is a good subject. I went into the Navy to avoid doing ground pounding. Going in I avoided the less than having a choice aspect of the draft. That and I wanted to be in the Navy like my Uncle. There is now a suggestion from the military that women should also register for the new draft.

See here.

There was a certain negative back blast from coming out of the military during the Vietnam war.

There was a perception that Vietnam Vets were dangerous,and unstable,so they were not as welcome in the work place.
      I probably would not have replied except it opened by mistake and that final post jumped out at me. Figured perhaps chance but it happened so responded.

Personally I agree that if all fields are open to women then they should register for the draft just as every male is required by law to do. Though I also believe then that certain things need to be changed so that women have to meet the same expectations. Not specifically talking push ups but if I have to run a mile and a half in a given time frame then a woman of equal age should have the exact same requirements. Yet I know when I retired they sure didn't, actually got more time even if only a few minutes. From a Marines perspective the males run 3 miles the women run a mile and a half, so should have to do the same run with the same amount of weight and same time restrictions.

I think your starting to see a similar negativity being applied to current vets and being less desirable in the work place. Especially in the capacity of trying to restrict gun ownership and access that is being pushed by the VA as well. Granted not being spit on or worse that I know of but still its slowly changing back again. I also see more and more of the "Your not a real Vet because you were not in combat!" starting to show up again. Not just within the civilian population but also in the Veterans population and on a number of sites devoted to military personal. I rode subs for a bit and it gets interesting when people who were in the sand tell me I'm crazy and they'd stay in the sand vice going out on a sub. All perspective though one can not get away from the sibling rivalry that goes on between different service branches or inner service between like Sub, Surface and Air in the Navy.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

We now I believe have a new branch being formed,the space services,but also Cyber branch also.

Space branch here.

Cyber Branch here.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I think you'll see the idea of a space branch develop out of the NASA programs. The Air Force will probably have a presence but the military I do not think will be a driving force within its development.

The Cyber services already exists under the NSA/CSS programs. It's been developing and expanding for years. Don't think we'll ever see it evolve as a separate service branch as it still addresses National, Strategic, Theater and Tactical aspects and applications. I do think though we may eventually see a more flexible and invisible line between various intelligence agencies and the exchange of "Intelligence Data" between them. Have to admit I was a spook for 23 years so have a different perspective and opinion than probably many do.

Comment

If I remember you saying you were into crypto,that was my fist rate,but I decided I liked the "Somewhat trickier" group of ships servicemen(good learning for joining the Mafia)

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

If I remember you saying you were into crypto,that was my fist rate,but I decided I liked the "Somewhat trickier" group of ships servicemen(good learning for joining the Mafia)

Yep was a crypto person the whole time. Made life at sea a bit interesting at times as it seemed we were the only ones on the ship or boat that no one knew what we did. So the imagination of what we did was pretty funny at times. Way better than what we actually did many times. When we came out with Marines as part of our team the story always got around they were there to kill us if it looked like we might get captured. Of course that also got tongues wagging about where the crew though we would be going. Fun times

Comment

The current administration has probably been the best administration for veterans with the amount of attention put towards improving the VA. As far as reducing our military budget the current budget is out of control. Waste and fraud is rampant and throughout all echelons. So many officers they have to make up positions for them. It's time to downsize and clean house.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  Yep was a crypto person the whole time. Made life at sea a bit interesting at times as it seemed we were the only ones on the ship or boat that no one knew what we did. So the imagination of what we did was pretty funny at times. Way better than what we actually did many times. When we came out with Marines as part of our team the story always got around they were there to kill us if it looked like we might get captured. Of course that also got tongues wagging about where the crew though we would be going. Fun times
                  Thing that came to mind with me about the Crypto rate was,where do I end up working after service,and what I thought was Embassy,and a marine to cap me if it was over run..Mind does mess with you. One thing I do remember was the two Crypto guys I ended up being a striker for,had quarters with a special locking electronic door,that needed a code to enter. They sent me like mess cooking,but in the laundry,where I met all the really crazy ship servicemen and I fit in like a silk glove. I learned to cut hair,run the vending machines,work in the soda fountain,ships store,do inventory,learned dry cleaning,and of course got to play poker in the laundry room(by invitation only,and a few select officers too) It was a mark of distinction to be invited BTW. We had our bar and food from the good guys in the mess. Like a speakeasy...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                    The current administration has probably been the best administration for veterans with the amount of attention put towards improving the VA. As far as reducing our military budget the current budget is out of control. Waste and fraud is rampant and throughout all echelons. So many officers they have to make up positions for them. It's time to downsize and clean house.
                    I honestly can't disagree with what your saying. I know in the late 70's service personal performed many of the jobs that today are being done by civilians. You might find a civilian in charge of some department or maybe section but seldom did they occupy nearly all the positions. We watched that change through the 80's and 90's until nearly all the PSD's, PSA's administrative functions, etc were re-maned with civilians. Service element didn't matter as it occurred across the board.

I think the point where plug and play replaced skilled technicians who fixed the equipment also caused a lot of issues. We got more tech reps from the civilian sector, more civilians that replaced even more military personal but also created a lot of senior level positions to coordinated things as it were. So an even greater disparity of senior enlisted and officer positions created which further added to the bottle neck in advancements for the lower enlisted and officer corp. A situation that really becomes apparent when you see any sort of furloughed program at any base when non essential personal do not have to report for duty status. The majority of them being civilian personal. Though one might claim the same situations are visible anytime the government has furloughed people and you see just how many are off.

- - - Updated - - -

Thing that came to mind with me about the Crypto rate was,where do I end up working after service,and what I thought was Embassy,and a marine to cap me if it was over run..Mind does mess with you. One thing I do remember was the two Crypto guys I ended up being a striker for,had quarters with a special locking electronic door,that needed a code to enter. They sent me like mess cooking,but in the laundry,where I met all the really crazy ship servicemen and I fit in like a silk glove. I learned to cut hair,run the vending machines,work in the soda fountain,ships store,do inventory,learned dry cleaning,and of course got to play poker in the laundry room(by invitation only,and a few select officers too) It was a mark of distinction to be invited BTW. We had our bar and food from the good guys in the mess. Like a speakeasy...
                    Crypto did have its bad points. I know my first duty station I had a 5 - 10 minute life expectancy if we went to war, my second duty station was 1 minute. Not very promising for certain. Still when I enlisted in 78 it was still the period of work hard and party hard when your off duty. About the worse thing you could do was leave a shipmate laying in the gutter while you did things on liberty. We might have had to be poured into the barracks or watch stations at times but we looked out for each other.

Family wise though it was tough having a job that you could never speak about to anyone. Stuff might piss you off at work and you couldn't tell the spouse or why you were so mad when you got home. Made it tough on the younger Sailors and Marines and their families. Heck made it tough on the older people as well but over time you sort of learnt to have a work face and a home face. I recall a Master Chief I worked with that was really surprised at the difference in how I acted and showed things act home versus being a Section or Division Chief at work.

I know when I deployed you didn't piss off the cooks, Doc, the Yeoman and whom ever did your laundry. Figure the cooks feed you, Doc took care of you, the Yeoman handled your records and the Laundry person made sure you got your cloths back and in one piece. I saw some PO1's and CPO's that would go out of there way to screw with people but for the most part unless the person screwed up badly we gave them no trouble. Granted there was always that 1 person though who took up 90 percent of your time and you had to come down hard on.

I recall I was working on my ESWS quals as a Chief and spent a lot of time in Damage Control Central. More than a few times going to a 2nd or 1st to get something signed or explained to me. Then being on liberty and finding one of them totally messed up and getting them back to the ship. The DCC dropping off one of his guys with me at the pier while he went looking to see why the boat landing had been changed. Carried that sailor around with me and made sure he didn't puke all over himself, drown in his puke or be left behind and forgotten. The DCC came up to me the next day and asked me if I was going to say anything and I asked about what. We had a sailor that was on liberty, worked hard at sea and on duty and we got him back to the ship. Enough said. Sure made a difference in things in DC central as I continued working on my quals.

Sometimes it surprised me for certain. I was a section Chief on a shore assignment when one of my maintenance people was left a message to see their Chief in the morning. Well they worked for me and if they did something it was under my orders and directions so they were really surprised when I stayed after with them to set the record straight. Had to wait around for nearly an hour and a half but didn't matter. Senior was surprised when he saw me waiting and told me they weren't in trouble just wanted to ask them some questions, told him no problem but I told them to do the thing in question so I needed to be there. Good thing I did as some of the questions could only be answered by me less they would have gotten their butts reamed.

Comment

Working...
                    X