Agnostic question to Pagan - The Afterlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agnostic question to Pagan - The Afterlife

I'm agnostic, but I've been into the Pagan religions for a long time now and even listen to NorseFolk. I was just curious, what are Pagan views on the afterlife?

War never changes.

Re: Agnostic question to Pagan - The Afterlife

Pagan views on the afterlife are many and varied! It's one of those things where if you ask tend different pagans, you're likely to get ten different answers, because there simply is no one single belief or 'right answer' when it comes to the afterlife (possibly because we can't demonstrate what actually happens with any degree of reliable and repeatable data).

Personally, I believe there are options for the afterlife, so to speak. Because I'm inherently lazy, and my belief in the afterlife can be complicated, I went and found an old post where I already laid out my thoughts...

Originally posted by Rae'ya
    The short answer is 'yes'. The long answer is that I believe in afterlife options, or several afterlives, depending on which way you want to look at it.

I believe in actual external 'Lands of the Dead' that exist in the Otherworlds... places like Helheim; the Summerlands; Heaven, Hell and Purgatory; Hades and the Elysian Fields; and all the others that are attached to various mythologies. I believe that all these places exist, that they are places within the various Otherworld complexes, and that when we die we may end up in the Land of the Dead that belongs to our spiritual path, under the watchful care of the Death Keeper who rules over that land. I think that most of us end up in a Land of the Dead, either permanently or temporarily (ie before reincarnation). In the Northern faiths, the Lands of the Dead are Helheim (where the majority of people end up), Folkvangr or Vallhol (where those slain in battle end up, depending on whether they are chosen by Freyja or Odhinn) and Aegir's Hall (where Ran keeps those who drown for as long as she pleases before sending them on to Helheim).

I believe that reincarnation is possible, and that the likelihood of reincarnation has more to do with your spiritual path than with any sort of karmic debt that needs to be played out. Reincarnation is not unheard of within the Northern paths, but it's not a primary option. Then there are some faiths that don't have reincarnation as an option at all... does that mean that they are more spiritually evolved than those who reincarnate regularly? No. It just means that the goals and aspirations of the faith are different.

I believe that it is possible to become a protective spirit attached to a piece of land (or building or body of water or similar), which is sometimes called a landwight/landvaettr but which is not the actual landvaettr itself (which is the ancient spirit of the land and which is very much NOT human in any shape or form). Sometimes this involves hanging around in the burial mound where you or someone important to you was buried. Sometimes it involves staying with the land that you and your family owned. Sometimes it's staying with the land where you were killed or buried, which I think often happens with 'sacred burial ground' locations.

I believe that it is possible to become an Ancestor (with a capital A) spirit, who actively watches over the ancestral line and guides the descendants. Ancestors come in two or three flavours... those that aren't interested, those who will respond if petitioned, and those who are actively engaged with their descendants. I think the first two are what most of us will end up being, but the final one is an active 'career choice' so to speak. Ancestor spirits exist in a number of faiths, but are sometimes called different things. In the Northern faiths, female Ancestor spirits are called Disir, males are sometimes called Alfar (which is actually debatable, but not really relevant here), and there is some question about whether the lesser norns referred to in some of the Lore are also female Ancestor spirits.

I also believe that remaining 'earthbound' is an option, sometimes by choice and sometimes because you've become stuck and need help from a psychopomp to move on. It's also possible to get stuck or lost in the Otherworlds on your way to your Land of the Dead, which again requires the aid of a psychopomp to get you to where you're going.

Comment

You want a physicist to speak at your funeral. You want the physicist to talk to your grieving family about the conservation of energy, so they will understand that your energy has not died. You want the physicist to remind your sobbing mother about the first law of thermodynamics; that no energy gets created in the universe, and none is destroyed. You want your mother to know that all your energy, every vibration, every Btu of heat, every wave of every particle that was her beloved child remains with her in this world. You want the physicist to tell your weeping father that amid energies of the cosmos, you gave as good as you got.

And at one point you'd hope that the physicist would step down from the pulpit and walk to your brokenhearted spouse there in the pew and tell him/her that all the photons that ever bounced off your face, all the particles whose paths were interrupted by your smile, by the touch of your hair, hundreds of trillions of particles, have raced off like children, their ways forever changed by you. And as your widow rocks in the arms of a loving family, may the physicist let him/her know that all the photons that bounced from you were gathered in the particle detectors that are her/his eyes, that those photons created within her/him constellations of electromagnetically charged neurons whose energy will go on forever.

And the physicist will remind the congregation of how much of all our energy is given off as heat. There may be a few fanning themselves with their programs as he says it. And he will tell them that the warmth that flowed through you in life is still here, still part of all that we are, even as we who mourn continue the heat of our own lives.

And you'll want the physicist to explain to those who loved you that they need not have faith; indeed, they should not have faith. Let them know that they can measure, that scientists have measured precisely the conservation of energy and found it accurate, verifiable and consistent across space and time. You can hope your family will examine the evidence and satisfy themselves that the science is sound and that they'll be comforted to know your energy's still around. According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is gone; you're just less orderly.

Aaron Freeman
      I think it is most likely that when we die, we die. The end. There is nothing else except that our bodies go back to the Earth...unless of course we embalm them, in which case they stick around for quite a bit longer.

You would know the secret of death.
      But how shall you find it unless you seek it in the heart of life?
      The owl whose night-bound eyes are blind unto the day cannot unveil the mystery of light.
      If you would indeed behold the spirit of death, open your heart wide unto the body of life.
      For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one

(Snip)
      For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and to melt into the sun?
      And what is it to cease breathing, but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered?

Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing.
      And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb.
      And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance.

From Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet
      And in the end what remains of us is what we do with our lives-- what we make, what we build, what we grow. And most of all, who and how we love...because they define how we are remembered.

But if there is an afterlife other than that, if our consciousness does outlast out physical form, the only.one that makes sense is a reincarnation of sorts...but not one where our consciousness remains intact or even recognisable as *us*

...something like this:

Do not stand at my grave and weep
      I am not there. I do not sleep.
      I am a thousand winds that blow.
      I am the diamond glints on snow.
      I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
      I am the gentle autumn rain.
      When you awaken in the morning's hush
      I am the swift uplifting rush
      Of quiet birds in circled flight.
      I am the soft stars that shine at night.
      Do not stand at my grave and cry;
      I am not there. I did not die.
      Last edited by thalassa; 25 Sep 2015, 20:22.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

No afterlife, fortunately.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Thal, that first and last item you quoted were beautiful.

Mostly art.

Comment

I believe that we are spiritual beings living a physical life to learn what cannot be taught on the spiritual level. When we die we return to our place in the spirit realm. We are free to reincarnate to experience more or to help another spirit learn or teach. We are also free to remain as spirit in that place where we exist more naturally.
            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
            I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

This is how I see it...we follow different trads, we work with different deities or none at all. We have vastly different life experiences. I think it's the same with the afterlife, some will have one, some won't, and different trads are likely to have different afterlives.

I don't think I will have one. Had a near death experience once, for what it's worth, and it supported the no afterlife idea.

I know that sounds weird, but there it is.

Comment

I can't prove my position, it is therefore a myth in which I choose to believe based upon evidence from my experience and knowledge.
                Since energy cannot be destroyed or created only changed between matter and energy I feel the energy of a life goes on after death.
                What that existence is I believe because of my own near death experience and having invoked deity and seen a part of life beyond the physical that there is a "place" or dimension where the spirits live in that form. I believe that we can choose to remain there or to reincarnate to a new life on a physical plain.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Thalassa, that first quote made me cry! Damn you!

- - - Updated - - -

And the last one. On a side note, there was an animation made of the book 'the Prophet' recently. Corbin, you may also be interested to know there is a teaching pack to go with it. http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...gibran/6724326 I'm not sure where to find it I'm sorry, but I know it exists. And here is the interview with the exec. producer.

- - - Updated - - -

http://journeysinfilm.org/films/the-prophet/ found it ^.^

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                    Since energy cannot be destroyed or created only changed between matter and energy I feel the energy of a life goes on after death.
                    Or from one form to another.

Which generally means entropy - dissipation in heat.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X