how do i celebrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i celebrate

iv'e never been able to celebrate the seasons I use to live in a group home in mi that was a newborn Christian home I hated it they were constantly telling me ill burn in hell and that I need saving. now I live in Florida and live with my grandma and aunt there Christian and I have 0 wiccan friends to celebrate with what do I do how do I celebrate solo I only have brown and green candles and lavender and sage incense I have some crystals but not a lot. how do I celebrate im new by a year and a half.

Re: how do i celebrate

You don't need stuff to celebrate. Go admire a sunset, or smell the salt of the sea. Go for a walk through the woods, learn about the plants around you, and put flowers in your hair. Grow a garden. Find out where the food on your plate comes from.

Magic is not a thing. Magic is up to you. It can be inside of you, and outside of you, and all around, or it can not exist at all. You don't need lavender and sage and green candles and black candles to be a witch.

Mostly art.

Comment

Thank you for the help ill do that.

Comment

Wolfchild,
        There are many way to celebrate and few of them require tools. Meditation is one of the best connections you can have with deity. All that is required is a quiet spot.
        On the other hand you could go looking for for a natural altar stone. Find a fairly round flat stone upon which you can inscribe or paint a symbol of protection. That becomes your pentacle, pantacle, shield, altar Stone or what ever your tradition calls it. It not only represents the element of Earth on your altar, it can be used to ground and protect you while you meditate. Since it is a natural stone it requires only a cleansing and dedication for your use. The diameter is only important in that it should fit on your altar or in a two layer bag, green/brown on the inside and red on the outside.
        The above details are tradition specific and may be different for your use.
        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Food. No, seriously. Whenever you reach a time that you feel should be marked by some sort of special event, go out of your way to have a super nice meal, especially if you make it for yourself. Like for the most recent Equinox, I had pork, fresh apples, and some hard cider. I then took some of what was left over, like the bones, and put them outside as an offering. Even if no one else knows why you're doing it, you'll know. And who's going to begrudge someone a nice meal once in a while?

Comment

I think you first have to decide what your going to celebrate and under what pathway that celebration will occur. It's like you've identified as Wiccan which would imply not only celebrations but also some sort of structure and material needed for each sabbath or esabbath and what it represents. Loosely here referring to chalice, athame, altar, candles, etc as recognized items used to create the physical aspects of the ceremony. If Wicca is the system then I would assume your going for the ritualized formats associated with each ceremony / ritual.

We can advise but it will certainly be from our own pathways and paradymes as to how things work. As such it will be up to you to decide if something applies, how it applies and how you can incorporate or conflate it with your own practices.

Even color associations, directions, symbology, etc will vary from pathway to pathway. So you have to have a good foundation of knowledge in order to compare and contrast each holiday. Not only each holiday but also what calendars we utilize for our own celebrations and the Wheel of the Year type associations.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              You don't need stuff to celebrate. Go admire a sunset, or smell the salt of the sea. Go for a walk through the woods, learn about the plants around you, and put flowers in your hair. Grow a garden. Find out where the food on your plate comes from.

Magic is not a thing. Magic is up to you. It can be inside of you, and outside of you, and all around, or it can not exist at all. You don't need lavender and sage and green candles and black candles to be a witch.
              This! All of this! You really don't need to draw attention to yourself if you'd rather not. Lots of people enjoy taking in the colours and smells of the natural world as it changes around them. Even spells can be subtle. There's an autumn spell in my BoS for banishing a bad habit or influence in your life, that simply involves sitting near or under a tree that's leaves have turned brown, choosing a leaf and imagining that your unwanted habit is fused with the leaf. Then as the leaf falls from the tree in the comming weeks, you too will shed your habit... Or that's the idea anyway. No candles needed!

The other suggestions are great too of course, especially Munin's suggestion of food! I have special things I like to eat at each sabbat (often popcorn!), only you need to know there's a special meaning behind your chosen meal! Best of luck!
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I agree with everyone. I live with my parents who are Catholics and who accept me for the most part, but I still can't do a lot. However, that does not stop me from celebrating. When Mabon comes I bake bread in celebration of the harvest. I take pictures of the leaves and sit out in the backyard to admire the fall leaves. I don't have a lot of tools (incense, candles, etc...) to use, but this gives me a way to use my brain for unique and creative ideas for spells and rituals. Besides as Amber K notes, 'the only tool you need is you.'
                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

If you have the resources, I suggest (if you are interested in Wicca) finding a copy of The Circle Within by Diane Sylvan--Amazon has it used for 1.93+3.99 for shipping. There are some great ideas in there. You might also consider Wicca for Beginners by Thea Sabin--I've not read it (I stopped being Wiccan before it was written) but I've heard good things from people I like.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                    I think you first have to decide what your going to celebrate and under what pathway that celebration will occur. It's like you've identified as Wiccan which would imply not only celebrations but also some sort of structure and material needed for each sabbath or esabbath and what it represents. Loosely here referring to chalice, athame, altar, candles, etc as recognized items used to create the physical aspects of the ceremony. If Wicca is the system then I would assume your going for the ritualized formats associated with each ceremony / ritual.

We can advise but it will certainly be from our own pathways and paradymes as to how things work. As such it will be up to you to decide if something applies, how it applies and how you can incorporate or conflate it with your own practices.

Even color associations, directions, symbology, etc will vary from pathway to pathway. So you have to have a good foundation of knowledge in order to compare and contrast each holiday. Not only each holiday but also what calendars we utilize for our own celebrations and the Wheel of the Year type associations.
                    I cant though I have no money to buy tools I need a way to celebrate without tools.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone who gave me ideas i'm very greatful.

Comment

The only tool you need is you. Everything else is personal preference.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Without trying to advertise, do go and have a look at my videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC48...v2ZAeAg/videos

I'm a pretty laid back sort of witch and a great believer in just celebrating as we can, and not as others make us feel we should. There are no adverts, they're just me sitting in the kitchen, talking. See if they help a bit.
                        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by wiccanwolfchild View Post
                          I cant though I have no money to buy tools I need a way to celebrate without tools. ..
                          You appear, to me anyway, to be confusing having tools with celebrations and how to combine the mystical and physical aspects of a working pathway. You indicate your Wiccan which is usually a pathway that has both a mystical aspect and a physical aspect that uses tools, procedures, calendars, structure, etc to aide in arriving at the mystical side. That's why I said you need to know which pathway your walking and how it is constructed.

Your saying you have no money for tools yet tools are perhaps the easiest of things to obtain. An athame is simply a knife and any kitchen knife can be used in place of some ornate or special athame. A chalice is basically a bowl or large cup, again something that can easily be substituted with a large glass. A cauldron is simply a pot, again something that can be substituted with a common cooking pan. Elements ok fire = matches, water = water, earth - earth, salt, etc, wind = breath. Again all items that are easily obtained many times simply from items found in a normal home at any time.

The tool is usually symbolic of a function but you have to know the pathway in order to know what symbolic aspect your trying to connect to. Wicca has a pretty established calendar with symbology, purpose and timing laid out already. Yet it's also seasonal and seasonal things that reflect or suggest it most often can be found simply by going outside and looking. The gods / goddesses you choose to follow or bind yourself to also influence how each seasonal observance is performed and what might be substituted or included to make it mean something to the celebrant.

To me it seems you really have no idea of what, why or how you are celebrating. If you don't know what the celebration is for you can't know what can be used for it. If you don't know why it is important or to be celebrated you can never figure out why your doing it. If you can't answer for yourself the what and why then you'll never know the how to do it. Heck want to have a wheel of the year celebration use something as simple as a paper cup, some soil and water, a plant seed and watch the plant grow, what it bloom then watch it potentially return to the earth at the end of its life cycle. Take pictures, make drawings, write a journal entry, etc to record and notate through out the time of its full life cycle and then reflect and ponder upon what it all means at each holiday celebration and how it compares to your own life story.

Tools are simply physical items used to aid the practitioner in connecting to the mystical side of the calendar. It's been my experience that divinity, nature, spirits, etc all provide all the tools you need to keep the year and reflect upon its passage and symbology. But none of it maters or will be revealed if you don't know the what, why and how of it all regarding why you celebrate and observe it.

That is why I indicated you have to know what your pathwalk is and why you celebrate and observe the dates you celebrate on. It's easy to tag a name to yourself and claim to be a practitioner of _________ pathway. The challenge, to me anyway, is actually knowing why you do something, what you get from it and how it impacts upon you which relates to how you project all of it.

You want idea's but if you don't know the what, why and how of it then we can't realistically give you idea's. I presume / assume our idea's are based individually upon already answering those questions of what, why and how for ourselves. We can reveal the physical but can not convey truly the mystical and emotional that goes with it and what it inspires within us. Nor will you experience the mystical of your pathway using our symbology without experiencing it yourself. And you'll not experience it in my opinion without being able to answer the what, why and how for why you want to do something.
                          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

So, to help this thread a bit (because I agree with Monsno), lets figure out *what* and *why*, to better figure out the *how*...

What over all path do you see yourself as interested in practicing? You have "wiccan" in your user name--do you consider Wicca to be your path, a part of your path, etc? If you are unsure of this, what mythos are you interested in? What gods interest you, what myths and pantheons get your attention?

What are you trying to celebrate?
                            Are you looking to celebrate a particular holiday? The sabbats of the Wheel of the Year perhaps? Or are you interested in a ritual for a specific purpose or event?

If you can give us some clues, we might better be able to point you in the right direction.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X