Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Halloween

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Halloween

Halloween is coming next month. Do you celebrate Halloween by any chance? If so, are you ready?

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Ecletic pagan.
    Phrase
    This too shall pass.

Re: Halloween

I usually had to work in the past. I'll probably take the kiddos trick or treating. I personally like to be the one handing out the candy and seeing all the costumes, but it's fun going out too.
    “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

May 2012
    Religion
    Heathen

The school has a big Halloween parade. We do trick or treat. Then I do a ritual and dumb supper. I try to get some divination in too.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Pagan, Heathen, Animist
    Phrase
    Others ask why? I say 'Why Not?'

Indonesia in general doesn't really celebrate Halloween. But a traditional pagan cult I belong to celebrates The Day of The Dead on the 2nd of November. It's a big thing; lots of animal slaughters to offer blood to the local wights and also plenty of food for family feasts. After dark, we'd go to the graves of dead relatives and later, set out food and drinks for the deceased forebears in a separate room and left them uneaten till morning. Candles would be everywhere too, from cemeteries to sacred spots/objects and people's homes. Some of the more spiritually inclined people would perform certain rituals and spend the night meditating in sacred places like caves, near some rocks or under great trees in the jungle. The Elders usually hands out holy medicines to their clan members after some thanks giving ceremony too.
    That's how we celebrate Halloween in this part of the world

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

Hit the Dollar Store today ... Got a few decorations ...

May 2012
    Religion
    Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by magusphredde View Post
    Hit the Dollar Store today ... Got a few decorations ...
    They have the coolest stuff.

Jan 2014
    Religion
    Solitary Witch

I have a tradition of going back to the old neighborhood I grew up in (if I'm living close enough to make travel feasible) and haunting a local haunted house with one my best friends.

We've been doing it since we were kids as both of us got to tall too fast and had to stop trick-or-treating at a younger age then most kids do. It's a lot of fun and the guy who runs it always has a lot of treats to give us afterwards too

Bellow is this years mask; we've found that it's better to pick masks that aren't too gruesome as a lot of younger kids will cry. Just standing very still so people think you're a statue then moving makes them jump, even with using tamer masks

I thought this this one was pretty and $8 was a nice price; got it at Walmart.

^That's a nice mask!

Halloween is mostly a commercial holiday here, there are some school events or private parties but no traditions (we have a tradition of going to the graves but it's not exactly on the same date if I remember correctly) like trick-or-treating or anything like that. So, no celebrations, Pagan or not, for me. I might take a walk in the dark though.

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

We have 'allehelgens aften' which is a day to remember the dead... I honestly don't remember when it is, it's not a big deal. The shops are embracing halloween as a chance to sell stuff (surprise), but we have no actual traditions. Personally I like dressing up, so I'm always hoping someone will throw a dress up party. I tried carving pumpkins last year, I suck at that.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

In Arratu we celebrate "Ancestor's Eve". It is a time of joyful communion with those who have passed. I never really understood my dad until I invited him to join with me on Ancestors Eve. I found that my 8 year old niece who died of leukemia was a huge, very strong, spirit who came to help my oldest sister learn a lesson in love. I always have a great time "seeing" them and knowing that they are perfect in every way. I have always enjoyed that ceremony regardless of the name given it.

Halloween has otherwise never been a big deal for me.