Thread: Hello, folks.

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Archaic
    Phrase
    All men die, but not all men live.

Smile Hello, folks.

Hello, everyone,

I have been a practicing shaman for about 5 years now (following a miraculously botched series of suicide attempts), and it never ceases to amaze me how there always seems to be something new to learn and interesting about our ancestors' traditions, and our legacy as a species. Prior to civilization and the industrialization of mankind, we were so finely attuned to the world around us, and I really miss and long for that connection again. I presume you all are too? I'm looking forward to finding out and meeting all of you.

Besides getting to know other shamanic practitioners and fellow Neo-Pagans, I am very interested in lucid dreaming and OBE phenomenon, while not so excitable about psychadelic or intoxicating substances. The core of my personal practice lies in deep meditation and musical trance, not so much psychadelic drugs and other hallucinogens. As some of you probably know, there's a lot of negative social stigma attached with coming out as a shaman, but hard as it was, today I have two families (really good friends of mine; sadly, my own family doesn't warm up too well to my new-found path) who've come to recognize my practice and my tradition. I'm hoping to also meet other people here who maybe have the same problems as I do when dealing with the rest of society.

That's enough for now. It really feels good finally finding a community where I don't feel so ostracized or shunned for following my instincts. Thanks all again for having me and I hope to talk to you soon on the forums.

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

Re: Hello, folks.

I have two friends that are practitioners. Welcome!

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask questions.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Welcome to the forum. DO have a question though so please don't take this wrongly. Do you acknowledge your shamanism to be a pathwalk or a spiritualwalk? What I mean is in aboriginal type societies the shaman is a member of the religion / spiritual practice of the people but their shamanic function enhances the spiritual as a go between. The shaman is not a spiritual leader themselves but acts in the interest of the people to read the spirits, signs, etc.

In a lot of neo-shamantic practices I see people claim to be spiritual and call it a spiritual pathway vice a way of life. So I am curious when someone self identifies as a shamanic practitioner. Not saying nor implying one way is more correct than another just curious for my own sake.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Ecletic pagan.
    Phrase
    This too shall pass.

Hello and welcome! I look forward to seeing you around.
    “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Archaic
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    Welcome to the forum. DO have a question though so please don't take this wrongly. Do you acknowledge your shamanism to be a pathwalk or a spiritualwalk? What I mean is in aboriginal type societies the shaman is a member of the religion / spiritual practice of the people but their shamanic function enhances the spiritual as a go between. The shaman is not a spiritual leader themselves but acts in the interest of the people to read the spirits, signs, etc.

In a lot of neo-shamantic practices I see people claim to be spiritual and call it a spiritual pathway vice a way of life. So I am curious when someone self identifies as a shamanic practitioner. Not saying nor implying one way is more correct than another just curious for my own sake.
    Hi! I'm not really sure of the definitions of "pathwalk" and "spiritualwalk" respectively (pardon my illiteracy), but your description of the function of the shaman in traditional hunter-gatherer societies generally fits my perceived place in the grand scheme of things. I didn't primarily choose this path because I wanted a particular way of life. That was secondary. I chose this because I wanted to serve a community.

And while I have no tribe of my own, I do have close friends whom I felt I could watch over. I never really fit in with people in general. I was always spacey, zoning out and probably asking too many questions for my own good. Becoming a medium by which people could connect to the world seemed eerily natural for me. I don't think I would have decided to become a shamanic practitioner just for a lifestyle trip. I've had to endure a lot of abuse and punishment, something I am not so sure a number of neo-shamans are that privy too.

I am not sure if I have answered your question.

May 2013
    Religion
    Phrase

Let me try to expound on my definition.

For me I am a shamanic practitioner but it is the way I live my life and serve. As such that is my pathway or the life I live. Yet my actual religious / spiritual practice is more Hellene in structure and format. That is my spiritualwalk or the gods / goddesses that I pray to, am bound to and dedicate my life to. None of that touching upon the various branches that shamanic practitioners may actually fall beneath though most neo-shamans in my opinion seem to automatically assume healer.

Using say a Native American of the Lakota Sioux nation as an example. The shaman, medicine person, shirt wearer, pipe holder, etc would pray to the gods / goddesses the Lakota believe in as their spiritual / religious life. Yet the medicine person assists the spiritual / religious leader in that the gods / goddesses may say do this, do that, etc but the medicine person reads other things to aide in telling how it is manifesting. Like the medicine person may call upon the spirits of certain plants to aide in curing some illness of the body while the spiritual leader calls upon the gods / goddesses / spirits. They compliment each other not try to be as each other.

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Archaic
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    Let me try to expound on my definition.

For me I am a shamanic practitioner but it is the way I live my life and serve. As such that is my pathway or the life I live. Yet my actual religious / spiritual practice is more Hellene in structure and format. That is my spiritualwalk or the gods / goddesses that I pray to, am bound to and dedicate my life to. None of that touching upon the various branches that shamanic practitioners may actually fall beneath though most neo-shamans in my opinion seem to automatically assume healer.

Using say a Native American of the Lakota Sioux nation as an example. The shaman, medicine person, shirt wearer, pipe holder, etc would pray to the gods / goddesses the Lakota believe in as their spiritual / religious life. Yet the medicine person assists the spiritual / religious leader in that the gods / goddesses may say do this, do that, etc but the medicine person reads other things to aide in telling how it is manifesting. Like the medicine person may call upon the spirits of certain plants to aide in curing some illness of the body while the spiritual leader calls upon the gods / goddesses / spirits. They compliment each other not try to be as each other.
    Oh, I think I get it. My Shamanist practice definitely leans more towards "spiritual practice", as I have a very experiental practice. I have a shamanistic worldview in the sense that I am an animist and concentrate more on the great web of existence and how everything is naturally interconnected. I have nothing against polytheism - soft or hard, but we have oracles and priests for that. My lot in life is much simpler - to show people where they stand in life as a species in contrast to the rest of existence, and the magic that this wonderful gift of life brings.

With regard to my path, if my understanding of your definition is correct, I am a lot more flexible. While I definitely have a cultural base for my practice, I serve a multi-purpose role for my immediate community. I am a means to an end, rather than an end in myself. Does that answer your question?

May 2013
    Religion
    Phrase

Thanks for answering my question. Raises a couple more but not sure this is the place to ask them as it's your intro thread.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Nice to meet you. Forgive the back story, but I recently came to consider myself as shamanist, although not a shaman. I still primarily refer to myself as a 'witch', and religiously as a pagan, in spite of the vagueness of both terms. All the same, it sounds as though we have a few things in common.

The shamanist aspect of my work takes the form of inner work (working primarily on my own personal and spiritual development) and is based on personal experience rather than on the practices of any ancient or extant civilisation. My service to my community takes the form of taking care of those with learning disabilities and mental health diagnosis, and I'm currently developing the skills to support the dying and recently deceased.

I also have lucid dreams, and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how these fit into a shamanic belief system. At the moment, I don't 'work' in this state, although I'm gradually improving my ability to control them on the off-chance that something useful could come from it eventually. That said it took me over 2 years to learn to fly more than a few meters at a time, so I'm still a long way off being able to do whatever I want when I'm in that state.

I discovered I can induce something similar to the lucid dreaming state if I listen to drumming, but I'm not actively doing this after being warned off from entering the 'outer worlds' until I'm ready.

Sorry for such a windy post.. I do this sometimes! In any case, welcome to the forum! I'm sure your experiences and insights will be inspiring to those of us with similar practices, and I'm not shy to describe my own experiences in detail for the benefit of generating insightful discussion into the nature of the Spirit! Definitely come over to the shamanism and meditation/journeying sub-forums and share your own thoughts!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?