Kemetic Orthodoxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kemetic Orthodoxy

Since joining this site, I have been looking more into the Kemetic faith and practices. Not surprisingly, this caused me to run across the official House of Netjer and the faith of Kemetic Orthodoxy. Upon browsing the entarwebs, I see many differing opinions and ideas of this group. I must confess that I have never been much of one for organized religion, but the concept of KO has piqued my interest. I am just wondering if anyone has any insight that might be shared.

Re: Kemetic Orthodoxy

I'm in KO as well. I disagree with some of their insights, such as Kingly Ka, for example. Or making vows to serve specific Netjer that are supposed to be the divine parents of the person. This way, every person should serve Khnum, for example because he has an important part in making the soul of the person. Khnum is a strong and powerful deity, he doesn't fit everyone. Besides I'd say he's more of a fire or earth deity. It'll be a bit troublesome for those whose element is water or air.

But in general KO is a nice place to learn. That's why I'm only a Remetj, not a Shemsu. :P
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Thank you for your response. I think that if I were to join, I would limit myself to Remetj as well. But, who knows?

Comment

Kemetic Orthodoxy is a bit of a controversial subject in the Kemetic community and has been for a long time. In my opinion, this is due to three main reasons:

1) The idea of the Kingly Ka, and their appointment of a modern pharoah. This is bound to cause problems in the United States, which was basically founded on the idea of "No More Kings." It is natural to us to be suspicious of anyone with that much authority, and apparently at least some members of other nations share a wariness for modern Kemetic kingship. Although I have to say that, from a reconstructionist point of view, I can see the argument for a modern pharoah. Not all reconstructionists agree with me on that, in fact many disagree vehemently! I don't know if a modern king is necessary or not, but there does appear to be a relationship developing between the human and divine communities... so either it's not necessary, or someone is doing a good job. Of the several people who were claiming kingship last time I checked, however, Tamara Siuda does seem to be the most invested in it and has done the most to ensure that she is legitimately coronated and gives a great deal of herself to the Kemetic community. In short, I understand being weirded out by the whole idea of modern religious kingship (I was too, at first), but I think that in practice it hasn't been nearly as bad as many expect it to be.

2) They call their tradition "orthodox," which means "of, relating to, or conforming to the approved form of any doctrine, philosophy, ideology, etc." Orthodoxy is about conforming to tradition, which would seem to suggest a reconstructionist approach. Therefore many people have gone to KO expecting this, and have been bitterly disappointed. These people often felt like the HoN was being "dishonest" about their practices being an "authentic" continuation of ancient Egyptian religion. I can see their point. I suspect it's more likely that KO started out a little more reconstructionist, then changed paths to revivalist at some point but it was too late to change their name as they'd already put a lot of work into establishing themselves in the community. So they, and we, are stuck with the name.

3) They were the first major Kemetic organization that I know of, and are still probably the largest and most well-known organized Kemetic group. This leads some people to believe that they are the only available option, and when those people then find out that their beliefs do not fit within the framework of Kemetic Orthodoxy they feel betrayed and alone. And they sometimes lash out. At the time that I was last active in the Kemetic community there were a few other options developing: Akhet Hwt-Hrw and the Per Ankh of KemetOnline. I was hoping that with some more options available that some of the antagonism against KO would die down. I don't believe that infighting among the various branches of the Kemetic community is ma'at. But as far as I can tell, neither of those temples is active any longer.

I'm also a Remetj to the HoN, btw. I attended their Beginner's Class to learn more about their beliefs and practices, and on graduating from the class you automatically become a Remetj.
        With kind regards,
        Banu

Comment

Originally posted by Banu View Post
          Kemetic Orthodoxy is a bit of a controversial subject in the Kemetic community and has been for a long time. In my opinion, this is due to three main reasons:

1) The idea of the Kingly Ka, and their appointment of a modern pharoah. This is bound to cause problems in the United States, which was basically founded on the idea of "No More Kings." It is natural to us to be suspicious of anyone with that much authority, and apparently at least some members of other nations share a wariness for modern Kemetic kingship. Although I have to say that, from a reconstructionist point of view, I can see the argument for a modern pharoah. Not all reconstructionists agree with me on that, in fact many disagree vehemently! I don't know if a modern king is necessary or not, but there does appear to be a relationship developing between the human and divine communities... so either it's not necessary, or someone is doing a good job. Of the several people who were claiming kingship last time I checked, however, Tamara Siuda does seem to be the most invested in it and has done the most to ensure that she is legitimately coronated and gives a great deal of herself to the Kemetic community. In short, I understand being weirded out by the whole idea of modern religious kingship (I was too, at first), but I think that in practice it hasn't been nearly as bad as many expect it to be.

2) They call their tradition "orthodox," which means "of, relating to, or conforming to the approved form of any doctrine, philosophy, ideology, etc." Orthodoxy is about conforming to tradition, which would seem to suggest a reconstructionist approach. Therefore many people have gone to KO expecting this, and have been bitterly disappointed. These people often felt like the HoN was being "dishonest" about their practices being an "authentic" continuation of ancient Egyptian religion. I can see their point. I suspect it's more likely that KO started out a little more reconstructionist, then changed paths to revivalist at some point but it was too late to change their name as they'd already put a lot of work into establishing themselves in the community. So they, and we, are stuck with the name.

3) They were the first major Kemetic organization that I know of, and are still probably the largest and most well-known organized Kemetic group. This leads some people to believe that they are the only available option, and when those people then find out that their beliefs do not fit within the framework of Kemetic Orthodoxy they feel betrayed and alone. And they sometimes lash out. At the time that I was last active in the Kemetic community there were a few other options developing: Akhet Hwt-Hrw and the Per Ankh of KemetOnline. I was hoping that with some more options available that some of the antagonism against KO would die down. I don't believe that infighting among the various branches of the Kemetic community is ma'at. But as far as I can tell, neither of those temples is active any longer.

I'm also a Remetj to the HoN, btw. I attended their Beginner's Class to learn more about their beliefs and practices, and on graduating from the class you automatically become a Remetj.
          I still question a bit the whole subject of Kingly Ka. But I try not to go against it. Tamara Siuda doesn't seem to be an evil person, so I don't mind. Perhaps it's because I don't like being in the bottom of the "Kemetic food chain".
          Maybe I don't need a group of people with the same beliefs in order to celebrate any holidays, since I'm quite used to solitary practice. Maybe I do - after all it's in the human nature to be a part of a group. It takes me a long time to adapt to different changes. For example new places, new people, new hierarchy...
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
            I still question a bit the whole subject of Kingly Ka. But I try not to go against it. Tamara Siuda doesn't seem to be an evil person, so I don't mind.
            Athens and Rome were republics, but they still appointed an official called basileus/rex "king" because they felt that certain rituals had always been carried out by the king, and it was a good idea to do what the Gods were used to. It's a bit like the way that there's an official Hindu priest at the Thai court for occasions when a Buddhist one is just not equipped for the job! Tamara certainly impresses me: her prayer book (definitely recon) is surely a must-have.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
              I still question a bit the whole subject of Kingly Ka. But I try not to go against it. Tamara Siuda doesn't seem to be an evil person, so I don't mind. Perhaps it's because I don't like being in the bottom of the "Kemetic food chain".
              Maybe I don't need a group of people with the same beliefs in order to celebrate any holidays, since I'm quite used to solitary practice. Maybe I do - after all it's in the human nature to be a part of a group. It takes me a long time to adapt to different changes. For example new places, new people, new hierarchy...
              Nope, you don't have to be part of an organized Kemetic group in order to be Kemetic or to celebrate the holidays. But you are part of a community. The core principle of Kemetic religion is, I believe, ma'at. Ma'at is a system of relationships in balance, and you can't have a relationship if you're cut off from everyone else. Community is an important concept within Kemetic religion for this reason... but there are many types of community. The other members of your community don't even have to be Kemetic! You can become involved with your local city or town community, the community of your friends and family, the global ecological community, and/or with other Kemetics online. We're all part of something bigger, and we all help to build and maintain ma'at. That's what's important.
              With kind regards,
              Banu

Comment

Working...
              X