This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pagan and atheist?

I am an atheist, I'm finding it hard to believe in any Gods. I do believe that they are representations of nature, emotions, etc. but I don't believe that they were actual people. I believe in souls (animals, nature, humans). I do want to find a religion that honors nature so are there people who feel like this? Or is there a specific name?

Re: Pagan and atheist?

As far as a specific religion, not that I know of.

But in the classical pagan religions that left a written record, deities-as-symbol is a known variation. I would speculate that any religion with an intellectual component would have at least some form of this to some extent.

We have several pagan atheists here - for example, me
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I think I find myself under the same banner as well.

I like Paganism, it certainly resonates a whole lot better within me but like everything else I approach it with a degree of skepticism.

Comment

Full Definition of ANIMISM

: a doctrine that the vital principle of organic development is immaterial spirit

: attribution of conscious life to objects in and phenomena of nature or to inanimate objects

: belief in the existence of spirits separable from bodies

Today, Animism continues in most tribal religious movements, in Shinto, in eastern religions such as Buddhism and Hindusim, and in Pagan/Neopagan movements. In addition to believing inanimate objects have spirits, many believe in revering the spirits of ancestors who have an influence on those who are living. This is a noted practice in Shinto and forms of Native American spirituality, among others.

It is important to note that not all religious scholars define Animism the same way. Some view Animism as a belief or practice while some classify Animism as its own religion. Since many religions practice Animism, it is generally better to consider it a belief. In addition, most Animist cultures have an overall "religion" rather than understanding itself an Animistic Religion. MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

If we're going to use paganism in the classical, derogatory sense then yes. Any belief of Europe and the Middle East which wasn't Christian or Jewish is/was regarded as pagan.

Traditional witchcraft; shamanism; animism... there are many non-theistic beliefs out there which fall under the banner of paganism. Myself I veer towards ancestor veneration (not worship) and animism.

I guess I agree with magus, animism is a belief, like theism, in that it is a quality of a belief system and not solely a belief system in itself, even where it is the primary or sole belief in a system. An animist may be of a number of varieties.
          I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
          Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
          But that day you know I left my money
          And I thought of you only
          All that copper glowing fine

Comment

We have a number of threads explaining how Pangans can absolutely be atheists...so, yes.
            “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
            ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
            ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Sure I recognize that my ancestors are, in some way, still conscious or aware, along with other forces, animal plant and fungi. I don't worship any, rather I revere them and am in the process of designing and building an altar-cum-grotto for offerings and meditation in the hope to contact my ancestors.

What created the world? All I can say is a celestial process. It's not that I deny gods exist, maybe many do, I'm just not aware of them. You are not alone as an atheistic (I prefer nontheistic) pagan.
              I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
              Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
              But that day you know I left my money
              And I thought of you only
              All that copper glowing fine

Comment

One can have a reverence for nature without having a religion or a belief in god. At my house we call it a pagan lifestyle as opposed to a Pagan religion. Not exactly a subtle difference so there isn't a conflict at all.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
                X