To People Who Take Issue With My Eclecticism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To People Who Take Issue With My Eclecticism

It seems that some people have a problem with eclecticism. These days it seems there are so many who are pressuring people to just "pick one". I'll admit I've seen some erroneous claims, ill researched rituals, and practices based on stereotypes of other cultures. However, I've seen an equal number of people doing careful research consulting followers of the paths they borrow from, and being cautious. I do believe people have the right to follow any path that makes sense to them and I do mean ANY. There's one question I have for people who have taken issue with my ecleciticism. What if you simply don't agree with any currently existing path enough to convert to, be initiated into, declare membership in, or be baptized into them? I have been searching for all my life with myself and the Divine itself as my only teachers. I have studied so many and yet have not found one I agree with enough to feel that I can call myself an adherent without utterly misrepresenting them. I agree with Hinduism on so many points, but do not believe in reincarnation. I have agreed with Buddhism on many points but cannot bring myself to believe in Anatt or that attachments are always bad. I share much of Wicca's practice, but once again, there are doctrines I differ on. It also doesn't have a clear path for the inclusion of non-binary people. I may be a cis straight man, but it is important for me to include them in some way. Feri tradition does have that, but I do not believe in this division between fertility and ecstasy paths. I see only wisdom paths. Ecstasy is important, but I do not think it to be the absolute. It's emphasis on sexuality sort of leaves out asexual people. Also, where do I find a Feri practitioner without moving to the west coast? Something I do not have the financial resources to do. Don't even get me started on the aspects of Chaos Magic I don't agree with. For all my love of certain Catholic teachings and coming from a heavily Catholic family, I found that Christianity didn't line up with the reality I had perceived enough. For all my love of the Celtic wisdom, my admiration for my Celtic ancestors, for all the beauty I find in practice, once again I feel as if I differ too much.

Then there are traditions I may or may not be a part of. I could in a sense call myself a Thelemite since the Book of The Law is one of the most important texts to practice and convictions and I agree with a number of it's doctrines, but am I one because I declare myself one?

The same thing with Taoism. Am I a Taoist because I've read the writings of Zhuangzi and the Tao Te Ching and agreed heavily with them or am I only a Taoist sect if I joint a sect? I read the Tao Te Ching often when confronted with a philosophical or moral conundrum. I do the same with the Liber Al Legis, the Spiral Dance, the Baghavad Gita, the Lotus Sutra, the Bible, Evolutionary Witchcraft, the Temple of Witchcraft series, the Havamal, and many others for I have found wisdom in all of them. One sometimes contains the answer the others lack. Some times I find something shared between all or most of them.

I am indeed a pagan. I have found that I agree with western esoteric and pagan doctrines most of all, but i still have yet to find this "one path" that some people insist on me joining. If you know where this perfect teacher or path that lines up with the theology I have been developing all these years, seeking to create a unified theory of the Divine, then please do tell me where they are, what book I should read, or what I should do. I do not go about haphazardly adopting elements and practices. I incorporate, refine, reassemble, and study continuously, as if I am a blacksmith attempting to create a most perfect blade. There are those who act without caution, who understand nothing of what they adopt, and appropriate without regard for anyone but them selves. However, eclecticism can be ethical and some times we simply don't agree with existing paths enough join them without feeling that we are misrepresenting them. Maybe there is a path out there waiting for me. The one mysterious tradition that I've simply never heard of, but I have not found it yet.
    Last edited by MaskedOne; 03 Oct 2015, 18:34.

Re: To People Who Take Issue With My Eclecticism

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
    There's one question I have for people who have taken issue with my ecleciticism. What if you simply don't agree with any currently existing path enough to convert to, be initiated into, declare membership in, or be baptized into them? I have been searching for all my life with myself and the Divine itself as my only teachers. I have studied so many and yet have not found one I agree with enough to feel that I can call myself an adherent without utterly misrepresenting them.
    I think it is, unfortunately, as was my case briefly, and a reason eclecticism still has a knee-jerk reaction for me a little bit, if I'm to be completely honest, is that they can, at times, fail to show proper respect in traditions, beliefs, rituals, practices, et cetera, that they adopt. It is a case of a few bad apples ruining the perspective of an entire barrel of apples.

You are clearly not one of them, nor do I think most are, but there are a good number I have seen who adopt practices without a proper understanding of theology, ritual, or understanding from the theology they adopt. I have seen individuals take even from my religion and others for their own purposes, and show great disrespect to Kami and fail to perform the proper rituals, which is quite important in a ritualistic religion. I then have also seen them get mad at people who are actually members of said religious practice get annoyed when they use their practices in a completely opposite manner of which the theology holds, and that is just not okay.

As for whether not having a singular religious affiliation, not really a problem, but I think people might find it unusual, and want some form of explanation due to it being unusual. Doesn't justify any blathering, but it is something that people unfortunately do.

Comment

I am indeed a pagan. I have found that I agree with western esoteric and pagan doctrines most of all, but i still have yet to find this "one path" that some people insist on me joining. If you know where this perfect teacher or path that lines up with the theology I have been developing all these years, seeking to create a unified theory of the Divine, then please do tell me where they are, what book I should read, or what I should do. I do not go about haphazardly adopting elements and practices. I incorporate, refine, reassemble, and study continuously, as if I am a blacksmith attempting to create a most perfect blade. There are those who act without caution, who understand nothing of what they adopt, and appropriate without regard for anyone but them selves. However, eclecticism can be ethical and some times we simply don't agree with existing paths enough join them without feeling that we are misrepresenting them. Maybe there is a path out there waiting for me. The one mysterious tradition that I've simply never heard of, but I have not found it yet.
      Sounds like me for the last .... ummmmmm ... 45 years or so ...
      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

For some people, in some religions the fact that you don't agree with any existing path might be the problem as they probably put a lot emphasis on transforming (or transcending) the self. In many religions rules and regulations exist for that very reason and viewed in that context, it sort of 'makes sense' why some people think eclecticism is only kind of comfort-oriented cherry picking.
        But, as you said, you are a Pagan and might have different goals or different means to reach those goals. This could be a key point in a religious dialogue, if you're having one, to explain and find out what kind of results a specific path brings to different individuals and why exactly is eclecticism disliked.

I agree with you in many ways (former eclectic here!) but the thing is that if I came from the viewpoint that I just explained (sorry if this is a bit unclear, I'm on my phone and very tired, lol) the simple fact that you don't agree with any existing religion, wouldn't convince me that eclecticism is a valid path. To consertive ears it would sound like you just don't want to make any effort or sacrifice towards you path. (Even though, judging by your post, you put more effort than many others, on your path.)
        This probably isn't helpful in any way but just something that you might encounter some day.
        baah.

Comment

I do believe people have the right to follow any path that makes sense to them and I do mean ANY. There's one question I have for people who have taken issue with my ecleciticism. What if you simply don't agree with any currently existing path enough to convert to, be initiated into, declare membership in, or be baptized into them? I have been searching for all my life with myself and the Divine itself as my only teachers. I have studied so many and yet have not found one I agree with enough to feel that I can call myself an adherent without utterly misrepresenting them.
          I see nothing wrong with custom tailoring your religion to fulfill your needs. If you learn something, like it and it resonates with you, why can't you adopt it as your own???

As long as you don't go around claiming to be an adherent to a certain faith that you're only borrowing from, I don't see the issue.

No one owns the Gods; they do what they like

Comment

Everybody makes up their own religion - even people in a particular "tradition," by selecting the parts they care about and ignoring the parts they don't.

This is why you get whole lots of people who claim the exact same holy book, but have radically different views.

Some people are just honest about it.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

My biggest objection to the eclectic Pagan is the lack of formal training and self-discipline.
              Both of those objections are typical to the young and inexperienced and as practitioners learn it goes away. (most of the time)
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
              X