Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this plausible? (for a story involving Northmen and such)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this plausible? (for a story involving Northmen and such)

I am working on a short fictional story, told with a Saga/Epic type style. It's inspired by the Sagas of Ragnar Lothbrok which I read over the summer. It starts out with the great King Asger who rules and fights mightily, but doesn't die in battle. Would it make sense that he goes to Hel, but is received with a lavish feast by Hel? Further, the "narrator" in my story (think of them like the bard who'd tell this story) claims that if he had died in battle, Freya and Odin would have vied for him to enter their realms. Now I realize (at least from what I've read) that Freya chooses her slain first, and then Odin(?)--so they wouldn't exactly be vying. But perhaps it makes him sound just that much more remarkable? Or should I just leave that part out/change it?

Thanks! I like to use writing to learn sometimes

When it's finished, which will have to be by midnight tomorrow since it's a submission for my small liberal arts program's student works journal, I might remember to post it here

Re: Is this plausible? (for a story involving Northmen and such)

Hi Saex,

I'm a writer myself, though I write a lot of fanfiction. To me, your summary sounds plausible, though I am not a Norse or Northern Wiccan. I was briefly, but didn't do a lot of studying into the legends and such. I would go with what your gut is telling you to do. Sounds like a great story!
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

A story is a story is a story. Write what you like, change what sounds good to you, and to hell with everyone else! The movie Erik the Viking portrayed all the gods as squabbling children, Vikingdom showed them as day glow colored kung-fu masters, and the Almighty Johnsons showed them in all sorts of interesting lights. So go with it and follow wherever your pen leads you.

Comment

Thanks to both of you; it can be amazing the things I think are worth worrying (not that I was worrying too much, but still) over for writing, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Seax_Blade View Post
          Thanks to both of you; it can be amazing the things I think are worth worrying (not that I was worrying too much, but still) over for writing, lol.
          Since I can't edit apparently, anymore: I am going to post the story in a new thread right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Seax_Blade View Post
            Since I can't edit apparently, anymore: I am going to post the story in a new thread right now.
            You can only edit your own post for about ten minutes after you write it (don't quote me on that timeline... it may not be 100% accurate... but it's thereabouts).

Comment

Seems like it. I made a new thread in this section for it.

Comment

Working...
              X