Job hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job hunting

So decisions have been made and what not. Now comes the fun part. Giving notice, packing, and finding a new job. I have been with Marriott specifically RC for five and a half years. Now granted I have had part time jobs through out this but I have always planned to stay with the company. Well thats not something that is really feasible mainly because I just signed a paper for my promotion(I didn't know we were leaving Texas so quickly or I wouldn't) and you have to wait 6 months after a write up/ lateral move or promotion. The other reason being there are 2 Marriott properties near me and neither are currently hiring. Anyway not the important stuff. We wont be going till December. Well I wont be going till December but KP will go as soon as he finds a job.

I said on another thread I started that I had already sent out my resume to a few places but honestly should I be sending it out just yet? I never know with this. Moving is at least 2 months away and most places will want to fill those positions now not later. So in your professional opinion when is a good time to start looking? Thal I know you are also moving in December and I think you started looking last month but my field is food and beverage/hospitality/retail. I would like to have a job before we get there, and like I said these places are hiring now. I am sure there will be plenty of places hiring in my fields because its holiday season. I will however talk to hr when I go back to work about special transfers since I'm moving out of the state.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Re: Job hunting

Just an aside though but if your sending two or more months out I am assuming Mariott will be a reference. Might make it a bit difficult if one calls your current job to find out about you. Can you afford to be fired if that were to happen and you've not let them know your going to be moving and have sent out applications already?

Either way wish you luck and godspeed on your journey. May the wind always be gentle, steady and supportive at your back with following seas to move you forward and carry you towards your new horizon.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

It is almost impossible to be fired from a Marriott property. You can come in drunk and take a drug test fail, and claim you have a problem and keep your job. Hell I know a now Sous Chef who passed out in the bathroom not once but twice because he overdosed claimed he had a problem and kept his job. I have to have 3 write ups which I have to get 3 warning for each. The only thing I can be fired for on the spot is stealing time and I work for free for them at least 10 hours a week because I can't clock in till my scheduled time which is not enough time for us to get ready for service. Everyone of us with the exception of the floats comes in a minimal of 30 mins to an hour early everyday. If someone was to call they would ask for the hr department and at most they can only ask if I work there currently and what my title is.

I have every intention of telling my current employers of my move however I am a chicken sh!# at the moment because I did just get a Cook 1 spot, and I feel it looks kinda bad to go hey by the way I'm leaving in a few months.
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

So you can't transfer to another Marriott property? Because they just had you promoted? That's weird, but okay. I would ask anyways, because it may take some time for the paperwork to actually go through or whatnot. Doesn't hurt to at least ask.

Either way, you could probably still get on with Marriott after that period of time, I know they really like repeat workers. You could go ahead and check out some of the other hotels in the new area, since you have the hotel experience. I would definitely send your resume out now, and in job applications make the date of your move clear. I've had some jobs not call me for months, others the next day, so it never is consistent as to when they will see or contact you.
        ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I've been told by previous employers that October is the best month to begin looking for holiday season work, otherwise you miss the boat.

Comment

If an employer really wants you, they will make arrangements to fit your needs and time requirements. I've seen it happen in big companies with prestigious positions, and I've seen it happen in retail for minimum wage. The truth is the truth. Not every company will do it (depends on needs, company culture, supply/demand of applicants, quality of applicants, connections, etc...); but it can be a good way to put some feelers out to companies you're on the fence about too. If they react to you rudely, you'll know that you aren't particularly interested in working with them anyway.

Even if an employer is looking for a hire for the immediate future and you don't suit their timing needs, they may sit on your resume knowing (or suspecting) that a current employee is looking to leave around the same time you would be arriving in the area. Turnover is a thing. In good companies, employees are more likely to give their supervisors notice that they're actively job/school hunting (even if they haven't gotten any call backs yet). It gives their employers time to plan ahead, collect applications and hold onto the ones that they like the feel of.

If you're not afraid of any backlash with your current company, I would say you don't really have anything to lose by scouting your options ahead of time. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. Even if it's just insight and information.

Comment

Working...
            X