Religious Complications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religious Complications

Why does most religions have to be so complicated with all their dogmas and restrictions?

Re: Religious Complications

Because that's what religions are for. To provide guidance and help build a better life and community. Different dogmas come from different peoples but restrictions are for being followed. Without restrictions the world will fall into chaos sooner or later.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Because people are complicated.
      And they like power and lack self-discipline.

But indeed, I've wondered the same thing myself pretty much. Don't get too obsessed with religion if you feel it's only causing you more distress.

Originally posted by Gleb
      Without restrictions the world will fall into chaos sooner or later.
      I like this. But aren't we in the chaos already?
      baah.

Comment

Because people are complicated.
        And they like power and lack self-discipline.

But indeed, I've wondered the same thing myself pretty much. Don't get too obsessed with religion if you feel it's only causing you more distress.

I second Nare's comment here.

From the way I see it, it's trying to spread across our planet but if we give up on restrictions, it will spread almost instantly.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as restrictions exist, it will be harder for chaos to take hold. Isn't that right? One doesn't always need to be religious to have restrictions.
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb
          From the way I see it, it's trying to spread across our planet but if we give up on restrictions, it will spread almost instantly.
          Yikes! *has just left the regulations of religion*

But we have a lot of substitutes for religions nowadays, even with similar 'dogmas' and restrictions.
          baah.

Comment

We have a couple of atheists on the boards. Yet, they do restrict themselves. It's not always necessary to be religious.

Comment

From a general, basic view, religion has two major roles. The first is to add explanation to those things that we cannot explain. Today, we may know those reasons, but back then it was plausible that gods threw bolts of lightning to earth though we know the science of it now.

Secondly, it's to create a social structure of right and wrong, as Gleb said. Without a structure, society would be just ... well, it wouldn't exist.

Comment

Personally i'd say religion is complicated because life in general is complicated. Most often teaching that life is not a snack bar where you simply select those things that make you happy or enjoyable while ignoring all the darker aspects of life. Religion teaches the same truths that life teaches. Life if pain and misery at points and you have to struggle through it. Life is happiness and love at certain points and the experiences makes life worth living and fighting for. Life is about dedication, approach and focus in recognizing hurdles, impasses and change with the promise of reward at the end of the particular leg of your journey. In many ways religions / spirituality teaches you to be tough but also have compassion, to see things beyond the blinders of self gratification. To recognize worth in other things and even how your best laid plans can be corrupted or undermined so you have to at times look to something higher, the so called leap of faith in things, people or even situations. Eventually even attempt to answer the unknown or unanswerable questions that plague us as various stags of our existence and allow us to at least try to understand the unknowable or face the universe on some scale we can relate to and our place within it.

- - - Updated - - -

Heck in many ways simply to answer the age old question of "WHY?"
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Remember ... Religions are constructed by people ...
                  I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I'm going to post something obnoxious because I think somewhere in there the point will come across (and oh it's gonna be snarky)

atheism: you are born. You live. You die. The end

Religions (in general and in the very loose snarky sense)
                    You are born
                    why?
                    because deity made you
                    how?
                    Well...something about turtles
                    You have to do what deity says
                    why? eh you might go to the hot place
                    who's in the hot place
                    some dude who didn't listen to me
                    how do I not go there?
                    Uh...lemme think. Just listen to me
                    What do you want me to do?
                    Uh...*consults with those in charge of money and powah?* here's the list
                    uh...I don't think I like number 3 on the list
                    Here's some stories. It's got dragons, witches, some rape scenes and some magic (And that's not even made up by me. You know who you are. That's in your actual book so that's not even snark. That's just cray cray)
                    Oh. I better do what you say

666 THE END IS NIGH MARK OF THE BEAST!

That's why it's complicated. They have to keep making stuff up to placate your need to ask

why.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

As long as restrictions exist, it will be harder for chaos to take hold. Isn't that right? One doesn't always need to be religious to have restrictions.
                      I have a good example to counteract this. Here in the US, some schools have made the decision to stop restricting recess for kids. The tell them go outside and play. They put out one or two instructors to keep an eye out for extreme problems, but for the most part the kids manage to get along just fine with NO restrictions. In fact, they often do better.

We inherently work best in groups as part of a team, or pack. Even with no formal restrictions we find our way.
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                        I have a good example to counteract this. Here in the US, some schools have made the decision to stop restricting recess for kids. The tell them go outside and play. They put out one or two instructors to keep an eye out for extreme problems, but for the most part the kids manage to get along just fine with NO restrictions. In fact, they often do better.

We inherently work best in groups as part of a team, or pack. Even with no formal restrictions we find our way.
                        Wait. This is a "new" concept? I didn't know that recess had become anything but this.

Comment

Essentially religion filled a role in the rise of society as a social structure to bind the community and keep order. The beggining of civilization and religion go hand in hand. It also fills the role to explain things for people who like to jump to extreme conclusions before science answers the questions.

Add almost ten thousand years of human civilization and religion and you get a complicated mess of outdated dogma and general malarchy of stuff left over from a bygone era where those things actually serve a purpose. Given the fact that people like to hold on to their rituals this is unlikely to change any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post

I was listening to an episode of Druidcast on Pagan Ethics that said essentially this as well. The speaker made the point that common values lead to common behaviour, no restrictions needed.
                            Last edited by Azvanna; 07 Oct 2015, 19:41.

Comment

Plus it's complicated because people back in the day didn't know how to just speak easy. It had to be full of thou and shalts and stuff. Everything had to be complicated back then. The more complicated, the more the only ones who understood it were the rich and powerful (ie the Church). So they could tell the lay people what to believe. I mean let's not forget the lay couldn't even read their religious books. Well not until Luther got mad etc etc. Stuff like that.
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                              X