X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alabama hospitals secretly drug testing mothers

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    Who do they bill for this?
    Thal may have asked the best question here. Billing me to incarcerate me and take my kids away? No thanks. I wouldn't consent to a drug test BECAUSE of the billing process.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

My home state is a bastion of progress and equality.

Comment

I don't think they are individually being billed for those drug tests I think the tax payers as a whole are being billed for those drug tests, and I don't believe they are out to offer help to the child either. This is about getting drug users, and they will catch you however they can, and I agree with Compass on this one. It is after all her body, and regardless if it is healthy for the fetus it is her choice what she does with it. I'm not going to get into the whole abortion topic because that's not with this thread is about. Needless to say if they want to help those children then instead of separating them from their mothers help the women if they have serious drug problems.
        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

For the last 30 years or so I have watched and sometimes had a personal hand in the raising of kids with ADD, ADHD, FAS and a host of other alphabetical problems ... Some High functioning, others totally dependent and a bunch in between ... I believe that the children had absolutely no choice in both their birth or in what their mothers do during pregnancy ... But the mothers do ... Growing up in this world is hard enough without someone piling mental and physical difficulties upon them ... http://www.webmd.com/baby/drug-use-and-pregnancy ... ... http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a541318/...s-in-pregnancy ... ... http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnan...ing-pregnancy/ ... ... http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/wom...ring-pregnancy ... ... http://www.marchofdimes.org/pregnanc...pregnancy.aspx ... ... http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/...ing_pregnancy/ ... ... http://www.merckmanuals.com/professi...ncy&icd9=MM266 ... ... http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healt...ncy_85,P01208/ ... ... http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...hink/index.htm ... ... As for the legaities of the tests, a whole different discussion ...
          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingCompass View Post
            I think you're forgetting about second hand smoke.
            No I'm not. I said directly. The mother could leave the presence of the father, problem solved. If she smokes, she WILL have an impact on the child.
            I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
            Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
            But that day you know I left my money
            And I thought of you only
            All that copper glowing fine

Comment

I have a child with ADHD, OCD, and SPD. I have never done drugs, and the last time I smoked was over 10 years before I had any child (and I was never a smoker). I stopped the regular drinking of anything caffinated before I was pregnant (known to cause miscarriages) and on the rare occasion I did drink anything with caffine, it was well below the 200 mg.

Infact, of the two things that I did "wrong"--the occasional glass of wine and the occasional spot of sushi (I had cravings), I did them with the fully knowledge and support of my OB and neither is indicated (in the amounts I consumed) to increase risk to the child. Actuually, the one thing I RIGHT--taking tylenol (ibuprophen is a no-no), is now associated with higher ADHD rates (as is general anesthesia more than once under the age of 3, among other things). Additionally, I (or any other potential parent) only have so much control over my genetics, my husband's genetics, and which of those genetics end up in my child--ADHD and autism, particularly, have a huge genetic component. I only have so much control over my exposure to pesticides, plastics, and other environmental pollutants--all of which have been demonstrated to have developmental affects.

Which brings me to my point...

Sola dosis facit venenum.
              The dose makes the poison.

I was true 500 years ago when Parcelus said it, and its still true today.

I'm not defending women that abuse drugs while they are pregnant. But if we are going to punish women for an addiction, or for being stupid, why the heck are we waiting until AFTER the baby is born when the damage is done? It should be done WITH the pregnancy test to confirm the pregnancy before getting OB care, and then we can throw the pregnant woman into some sort of observational confinement for the duration of their pregnancy. Of course, by then, the fetus was already exposed at the most critical time of development--the first trimester, because most women don't know they are pregnant til that is almost over...so why don't we drug test women before we allow them to procreate? Because then *we'd know*.

And for that matter, why is it the women? Men do plenty to make their swimmers stupid...

Any why are we stopping there? Because if we REALLY cared about the children, we'd get rid of atrazine and other agrichemicals. We'd ban BPA completely (especially in thermal reciept paper which has to be handled by women of child bearing age that work as clerks in stores and in all canned goods) (more sauce, more sauce 2). And we'd never throw a political fit over increased emissions standards for power plants or vehicles...and this isn't even counting the asthma and other respiratory problems that airborne pollution causes. I mean, these things, in FAR less amounts seem to be spreading a LOT more damage over a far wider range of children (to otherwise healthy, making "right" choices women) than the bad choices of a (statistically speaking) handful of women have made.

But singling out addicts is always the easy route.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                I have a child with ADHD, OCD, and SPD. I have never done drugs, and the last time I smoked was over 10 years before I had any child (and I was never a smoker). I stopped the regular drinking of anything caffinated before I was pregnant (known to cause miscarriages) and on the rare occasion I did drink anything with caffine, it was well below the 200 mg.

Infact, of the two things that I did "wrong"--the occasional glass of wine and the occasional spot of sushi (I had cravings), I did them with the fully knowledge and support of my OB and neither is indicated (in the amounts I consumed) to increase risk to the child. Actuually, the one thing I RIGHT--taking tylenol (ibuprophen is a no-no), is now associated with higher ADHD rates (as is general anesthesia more than once under the age of 3, among other things). Additionally, I (or any other potential parent) only have so much control over my genetics, my husband's genetics, and which of those genetics end up in my child--ADHD and autism, particularly, have a huge genetic component. I only have so much control over my exposure to pesticides, plastics, and other environmental pollutants--all of which have been demonstrated to have developmental affects.

Which brings me to my point...

Sola dosis facit venenum.
                The dose makes the poison.

I was true 500 years ago when Parcelus said it, and its still true today.

I'm not defending women that abuse drugs while they are pregnant. But if we are going to punish women for an addiction, or for being stupid, why the heck are we waiting until AFTER the baby is born when the damage is done? It should be done WITH the pregnancy test to confirm the pregnancy before getting OB care, and then we can throw the pregnant woman into some sort of observational confinement for the duration of their pregnancy. Of course, by then, the fetus was already exposed at the most critical time of development--the first trimester, because most women don't know they are pregnant til that is almost over...so why don't we drug test women before we allow them to procreate? Because then *we'd know*.

And for that matter, why is it the women? Men do plenty to make their swimmers stupid...

Any why are we stopping there? Because if we REALLY cared about the children, we'd get rid of atrazine and other agrichemicals. We'd ban BPA completely (especially in thermal reciept paper which has to be handled by women of child bearing age that work as clerks in stores and in all canned goods) (more sauce, more sauce 2). And we'd never throw a political fit over increased emissions standards for power plants or vehicles...and this isn't even counting the asthma and other respiratory problems that airborne pollution causes. I mean, these things, in FAR less amounts seem to be spreading a LOT more damage over a far wider range of children (to otherwise healthy, making "right" choices women) than the bad choices of a (statistically speaking) handful of women have made.

But singling out addicts is always the easy route.
                Can I just say I love you! Or is that weird?? To hell with it I love ya
                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I think one of the biggest risks to the life and limb of mothers and fetuses (let alone when they become babies) is petty-fogging ignorance and crazed bureaucrats.
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                    Can I just say I love you! Or is that weird?? To hell with it I love ya
                    Me too!!!
                    Thalassa, that was so well written :^^:

Comment

Working...
                    X