Thread: Gender rights

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Gender rights

*oh Satan, let this thread not burn in infernal hellfire*

What rights are given to men that are not given to women?
    What rights are given to women that are not given to men?

Talk gender rights in general.
    Satan is my spirit animal

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Re: Gender rights

Given by law, or given in practice? They may be two different things, and discussion may get confused...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Given by law, or given in practice? They may be two different things, and discussion may get confused...
    This.

Also where? My rights as a woman in a 1st world Western civilization are much different than those of a woman in, say, Saudia Arabia.

I can drive and show my arms in public.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Pick whatever one you want. Just start listing what you think are male and female rights. Where you are. At this moment in tiiiiiime.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    This.

Also where? My rights as a woman in a 1st world Western civilization are much different than those of a woman in, say, Saudia Arabia.

I can drive and show my arms in public.
    Points and shouts at Thal...Woman!!!,you showed your arms????????!!!!!!!...goes for the box of killing stones
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Legally, in the US of A in 2015, there aren't many "rights" that men get that women don't get by law...but implicitly by culture and societal mores...inequalities abound (though its not really a matter of "rights", but of not honoring "rights").

No one tells a man what to do with his plumbing other than "don't stick it where its not wanted" and (a slight variation) "don't wave it around in public".

If an actress has a kick*** role in a movie she's portraying a "strong woman", but if a man has a kick*** role in a movie he's just a man.

When I tell a dude what to do (because I'm his boss), I'm a *****, when a dude tells a dude what to do, he's "assertive" and "showing good leadership".

Women spend twice as much time doing housework, even when both partners work.

As a woman veteran, its harder to get a job (seriously, look at unemployment for women vets) because the assumption is that you are crazy twice--once for being a vet (PTSD or MST) and once for having joined in the first place

"...worldwide at least one in seven homicides (13.5%) are committed by an intimate partner, with partners responsible for 38.6% of all female homicides compared with just 6.3% of male homicides" sauce

When my husband takes off work because the kids are sick, he gets told "Why can't your wife do that?"

If a man gets assaulted, no one asks what he was wearing or whether or not he let the person doing the assaulting buy his drinks.

Pundits don't tell men that the biggest mistake of democracy was allowing them to vote.

Its a-okay to be a SAHM, but not a SAHD.

No one implicitly or explicitly tells a little boy that wants to be a scientist or the president that they are the wrong gender.

No math teacher told my brothers "Its okay that you don't get this, you're just a boy"

When I was in the military, I overheard a guy tell my (then) boyfriend (now husband) that if he was a real man, I'd be doing the dishes (and the rest of the housework).

When I had to go to the VA for medical care, I frequently got asked where my husband or father is. I've been called to the front dest as Mr. ______.

Mens sports get way more money that womens sports

Women usually get custody, even when they suck as mothers.

Alabama hospitals don't test new daddies for drugs.

...I could keep going, but eventually I'd hit the carachter limit. And don't get me wrong, this isn't exactly FGM or getting beaten for showing your face in public or getting shot for wanting to go to school...but it still sucks.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

Women quite obviously have them a worse hand in the poker game when it comes to gender equality but I get annoyed with some of the societal expectations of men sometimes.

Like why the hell do I have to open the door for you? I don't get it. Whoever gets to the door first should just open the damn door. Why do I always have to pay for dinner? I always pay for dinner. When are one of you girls going to buy me a dinner!? Why do we even have to pay for each others dinner? Can't we just pay for our own dinner? Does that change anything? No.

My complaints sounds pretty pathetic. Women getting abused at higher rates, under constant attack from the Right, and the gender pay gap meanwhile I'm bitchcing about opening doors and buying dinner.
    Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 08 Oct 2015 at 05:19.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

I lifted a 10kg box yesterday. I had a coworker INSIST that he lift it, and when I refused, he told me that 'ladies these days' were too tough.

TEN KILOGRAMS. To prove a point, I lifted it one handed above my shoulder and stared at him, and then told him to stop referring to me as a lady.

I can throw around 80lbs boxes. Don't try to tell me 10 kilos is too heavy for me.

...other than that, I've just spent my whole life working in a man's industry. And you know what? It has gotten better. But it's still not perfect.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

Speaking of physical work an interesting tidbit for today-the unsupported speed record for the Pacific Crest and Appalachian Trails are held by a woman. The overall speed record for the Appalachian was held by a woman until this year.

I would also wager that a higher percentage of men than women drip off the A.T. and don't complete.

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

I find the gender norms really get confused when you cross into areas usually dominated by the opposite gender. It's like being a male then going into an office type environment that is normally seen as administrative and dominantly women. That was an eye opener regarding how you were viewed. But nothing compared to the eye opening that went down regarding women dogging women and cutting each other down. Sort of the same mentality you see in education when males go into primary education and have younger children in classes that are normally seen as being mostly women. Grades PK to about 3rd seem heavily female, then it becomes more balanced. Yet once you cross into the administrative side such as principle, asst. principle it seems it unbalances. College level I think was more driven by school and credentials it brought to the school vice strictly male or female.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!