An Atheistic World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Atheistic World

What if we lived a world without a god? What would life will be like if the whole world was atheistic?

Re: An Atheistic World

If we lived in a world without a god we would make one. A thought form can be given all the power and properties of a god just by being accepted widely and having faith in it. The more people that recognize it the stronger it becomes. It would take on all the attributes given.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Well we do live in a world without a God or Gods. Yet it is a very theistic world.

So what if we lived in a world where the people were atheist? Well people wouldn't believe in ridiculous notions, be more accepting of scientific truths, be less cause for war, divide, and hate.

An atheistic world would be a far better world than what we have now.

Comment

A perfect world requires perfect people. As long as we have people living in different places and in different ways there will be struggles for power and money and there will be wars.
        Religions don't cause wars, people do and they just use religion as a way to justify them.
        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
          What if we lived a world without a god? What would life will be like if the whole world was atheistic?
          You'd have a world with a bunch of atheists in it.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
            A perfect world requires perfect people. As long as we have people living in different places and in different ways there will be struggles for power and money and there will be wars.
            Religions don't cause wars, people do and they just use religion as a way to justify them.
            I second this.

Btw, PaganMafia, many scientists believe in the existence of a higher power. Just saying.
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

And those beliefs are generally ridiculous. We can say allnwe want that the wars would still happen if religion was null. And that's true. But we would have subverted so much pain, hate, anger, and death if religion had not existed. There is enough wonder in this universe without creating myths to explain what will eventually or what has been explained by science. It is anti-intellectualism at its greatest and that is a travesty among the many other travesties religion has created.

Comment

Humans are driven to seek out the Gods... I don't think it's possible for the world to be without any divinity. Plus, I believe that life is to unlikely to occur without some kind of outside influence... For their to be a world (and universe), I believe there had to have been something to get it started.

The problem is that people feel the drive and seek their Gods without thought or personal reflection. They latch blindly on to paths without actually speaking to the Gods, believing them to be voiceless.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  You'd have a world with a bunch of atheists in it.
                  pretty much this^ and this:

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                  Religion is an EXCUSE not a REASON....which is a bit like the difference between correlation and causation.

Athiests are just as dumb as theists when it comes to the stupid things that people believe in. Atheists don't have the market on intelligence, or even reason and logic cornered when it comes to any topic in general, or the existence of "god" in particular. That would be confusing them with the people that truly have the only defendable intellectual, science-based position on whether or not "god" exists...and those people would be agnostics.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Humans need something to believe in when they reach an age where death is near..People can be afraid about death,and I think just the thought that something greater than themselves that "Might" allow them another view of the after life beyond ashes to ashes and dust to dust....Life can be frightening,and at times faith may get you through very bad stuff.(It does not really need to be true to be comforting)
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      pretty much this^ and this:

Religion is an EXCUSE not a REASON....which is a bit like the difference between correlation and causation.

Athiests are just as dumb as theists when it comes to the stupid things that people believe in. Atheists don't have the market on intelligence, or even reason and logic cornered when it comes to any topic in general, or the existence of "god" in particular. That would be confusing them with the people that truly have the only defendable intellectual, science-based position on whether or not "god" exists...and those people would be agnostics.
                      I can agree with this notion that ones I.Q isn't automatically raised by choosing to be atheist. We can be pretty stupid ourselves and I'll own it. The thing that I'd like to point out though is that agnosticism and atheism seem to answer two separate questions dealing with what you know and what you believe.

For the reason that I DONT know everything I'm agnostic. In light of not knowing plus the fact that I don't yet see any evidence for any particular deity I'm atheist (keyword "yet"). Could there possibly be something to these claims of Gods and Goddesses though? There could be who knows...I just feel much research is needed. Not claiming to be smarter then anyone in saying that just expressing my own thoughts.

In a sense I do feel drawn to certain Pagan ideas though, won't lie. It definitely rings my interests and certainly seems to resonates far better within me. Though at this point, because there's still so much to learn, I choose to be skeptical.

And to answer the question:

It probably won't immediately become a utopia right off the bat if that's what you're wondering. In truth, I think it'd be better to simply acknowledge the fact that not every one is or should be an exact cookie cutter of one another. It seems people will always have their differences. I think we're all capable of bringing about that kinda change regardless of belief. Cause like it or not, we all inhabit the same tiny blue speck adrift this amazing cosmos full of mystery and wonder.

peace

Comment

Unless every atheists removes their own political agenda, this world will still suck.
                        We may not believe in deity, but we pretty much believe in a lot of dumb things.

Global warming or lack of it, chemtrails (whatever you think they are), abortion rights or non rights, how to raise children, vegans....the world without religion is still stock full of dummies.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

You can remove religion entirely and yet other elements of tribalism, racism, sexism etc. would still exist.

However they wouldn't be able to rest on the "god said it, that settles it" arguments that has caused so much idiocy to come into our politics in this country.

Comment

There will be always some good and bad in everything. In both worlds - with and without religion. So it doesn't matter.
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Actually, it does matter. Religion by its very nature precludes critical thinking. It requires faith over reason. Feeling over substance. All is fine when you separate both from science, politics, and real issues but when it dictates policy, causes people to fly planes into buildings, create war, and is basis for prejudice there is a problem and it does matter.

Make the argument that things would be no different without religion-that war, death, and bad things would happen at the same rate but in actuality they wouldn't. Religion regards our progress. Try to get anyone but a Christian to win a presidential election. Try to find equal rights as a woman in Saudi Arabia. I wonder where the Catholic Churches death toll stands?

People will still be people and still have all their failings but let's not pretend religion has not had a profound negative affect on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X