Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Approaching Ancient Spirit

Hi everyone,

There's a tree in my neighborhood that has certain spiritual importance to the locals. People respect and fear this tree. Locals claim that it grows on an intersection of a leyline and an underground river. A lot of older generations would hang the placenta of their grandchildren on this tree, so they may be protected and watched over by the ancient spirit.
    Thing is, it also granted wishes of those who want to inflict harm, misfortune and even death to others.

I plan to approach this tree and perhaps get acquintanced with it. I also want to "talk it out" of harming and killing people.

It may sound silly, I know. But there has been enough evidence of curses directed to people through this tree.

I've prepared a sacrificial animal for a midnight ritual, along with standard ritual items and focii.

What's your take in this case? How would you approach this tree? Have you done something similar?

Re: Approaching Ancient Spirit

You are going to offer a blood sacrifice to a spirit or energy and then ask it not to harm???

The tree is a representation of energies that flow under and around it. Energy has no moral code it can be used freely by anyone for any purpose. Would you try to talk a river out of flowing because people used it to flood an enemies farm? Energy exists in the world. It is a tool that can be used by all sentient beings. The energy has done nothing wrong. The people are the ones you should be aiming at.
    A blood sacrifice to bring peace and love? Ponder the action you intend to take and then decide how that action represents your cause.

I might be a bit too authoritarian there so I have to say that I don't understand why a blood sacrifice would be a good way to bring peace and love. Pythagorean teachings tell us that it is an affront to the creator to take a life, kill it and offer the end of that life to the one who created it. It disrespects the life by ending it.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Have to admit I am a bit confused at what your seeking here. In part because I am not sure if you believe your dealing with an actual entity / being or if your dealing with a site that has become sacred due to what is possibly an energy vortex.

If it is an entity / being then it seems, to me anyway, your first error is in placing human emotions and motivations upon it. You seem to suggest it performs blessings or something similar then indicate it also performs curses. Yet realistically a blessing or curse is always, well my opinion anyway, based upon how a person see's the action in relationship to themselves and some desired outcome. The entity / being itself typically could care less and makes no such distinction. Well I'd say under normal conditions there are some entities / beings that humanity tends to place under demonic headings that seem to have some human motivations and concept of rewards for doing things.

I presume if it is an energy vortex, such as those supposedly researched that have formed at junction sites, then it's raw energy. Neither good nor bad simply energy that could be harnessed to perform some task by a skilled person. I say person for not everyone who might be able to utilize such energy would have to be an occult / pagan practitioner. Realistically a person of deep belief, regardless of which divinity they believe in, could connect to and utilize such a place. In such a case in basic terms your dealing with a light switch and the person, group, etc manages to turn it on or off to perform some desire they have. Of course there is the possibility that it is a situation where actually one might say two vortexes exist at once. During certain parts of the day the energy could be "Positive" and rising upwards. Sort of like how Yellow Stone erupts through out the day at set times. Inversely there could be periods where it could be seen as "Negative" in that the flow of energy actually returns to the earth and has a different feel or charge to it. Almost a sucking sensation as it seems to pull down and crush or drown what ever is within it. I've felt something similar at cave openings when the air rushes out and its sort of light and charged then it reverses and it becomes sort of depressing and sucks your very energy away from you.

In such a case it becomes more an issue of knowing when and perhaps where to place things or try to use the energy. But the energy in and of itself has no human emotional attachments to it. It simply is.

AN alternate possibility is that of an egregore perhaps a servitor / Tulpa has been created on the spot due to age and belief that something is alive there. The more people who believe the stronger it is. The deeper the belief the depths to which the energy goes that has sustained it or actually started the construction process. If its gone on long enough then potentially even passing into the condition of a self sustaining construct. Especially if it is connected in some manner to the junction point your suggesting with the "Ley Line" and "Water channel". Almost like creating a hydro-turbine on the spot and attaching the construct to it like some power station that distributes the power out over some energy network. Perhaps actually having three lines unit at one spot. Figure the typical Ley line is magnetic / electrical and derived from earth energy, the water is physical and causes a change and perhaps there is even a blue line representing a water ley line. Don't hear about them that often though some believe they are part of the elemental grids that are formed about and through out the earth. I happen to be one who does and have seen them floating over the landscape only to discover that a river did exist subsurface and the line followed the river.

So potentially some entity / being, an energy vortex at a juncture point or some form of construct residing at, around or possibly within the tree itself. The presumption of offerings resulting in "It" returning some sort of action due to those offerings. Yet more likely, to me anyway, that the return more derived from the expectations of those who've made them and the belief of other's who are / were spoken to about them. Sort of the old theory that curses work best when the target is aware they are cursed and give it the extra energy and belief that they are cursed.

To me the idea of talking to it and trying to get it to stop granting the curse requests as it were is sort of doomed to failure to begin with. Those who might desire a curse be performed are going to provide as many gifts, offerings and / or energy to the thing as those who simply want protection or blessings. Heck realistically those who want a curse might even go further in offerings to get their desire. SO the blessing brings the thing lets say 10 cents in return yet the curses bring in 75 cents, which is going to be more supportive? The person that brings in 10 cents or the person who brings in 75 cents.

If an egregore then your not going to really have an effect upon it for it's been formed over many years to provide both the positive and negative aspects demanded of it and charged to perform by it. A low level construct, servitor, egregore , tulpa can only do limited actions and can not be reasoned with. A higher or better constructed one has more options but still is fairly restricted in what it can or can not do. If it has reached the capacity to be free roam or worse yet free willed then it will potentially have the ability to decide what is best for it, not you. As such it might be possessed of human concepts such as greed, anger, punishment, ego, etc and see itself as alive and needing of such offerings.

If by chance it simply happens to be some land spirit then its even harder to say. In part because it maybe of such breath and age that it is never fully awake or aware of what is being asked of it. Sort of like speaking to a sleeping partner knowing they are going to answer but may not even be aware they were asked or actually did something. Yet the energy, focus, concentration and all needed will still be applied to what was asked of them in their near sleep like state. If it has anything resembling ego then your back to which returns better to nourish the ego and self.

Off the top of my head and going by your suggestion of both a sacrificial offering and liminal usage of mid-night it seems to me you've already decided it's a negative being. You mention no moon which, to me anyway, again suggest a pre-notion that your dealing with an evil or dark entity. Lets face it to most people if your doing things in the night it's not supposed to be seen and usually suggests "Bad" intent or desired outcome. Sort of like visiting the person who is beneath you so you show up at their backdoor when its likely no one will be around to see you or know you where there. An action that shows concern for your image not the image and position of the person you are visiting. Lots of potential negativity in the outward appearance of what your asking and suggesting regarding what you'll be doing.

Of course just some observations on my part so use or disregard as you see fit.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

What ^ said ...
        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Well thought out and very well presented Monsno-leedra.
          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

What Monsno said. Word for word.

And just to reiterate... trees and landspirits don't have a human moral compass. I highly doubt this is the tree or landspirit 'helping' people and lean towards this being an energy sink or egregore... but hypothetically, if it were a tree or landspirit, then you can't presume to tell it what it can and can't do. It's not human. It doesn't think like a human. It doesn't act like a human. Most don't even particularly care about humans in general. We are ants to the landspirits, perhaps even less important to it than ants, because ants may serve an actual function in the local ecosystem. If it's allowing people to tap into it's energy then good for them... but you will have zero control over who it lends it's energy to and why. If this is a tree or landspirit, it's not performing the blessings or curses... it's lending out it's energy in exchange for payment.

On the subject of using an animal sacrifice as your own offering... functionally, it's a valid payment method when dealing with a lot of spirits. Most plant, animal and land spirits prefer alternative payment methods though. And frankly, I think that killing something in order to convince something else to stop hurting people is hypocritical. I'm not actually against animal sacrifice, as long as it's done humanely (and I have a VERY strict definition of 'humane'), but I do think it's hypocritical to use that particular payment for this particular request.

Comment

Thank you for the responses. They bring a lot more things into consideration prior to the ritual, as it is yet to be performed.

All possibilities described above are quite likely to be the actual case; I personally thought the tree housed an entity, might be an egregore or a landwight, that has been empowered by an energy vortex, age and deep beliefs throughout generations by so many locals.
              On the side note, the local belief system and culture do not really have or define "creation" of entities. Rather, it simply is there as part of the world, summoned a long time ago or "placed" (not created) there by some spiritually powerful person.

I should also add, that this being seems to be capable of human emotions. Like anger and punishement in form of severe misfortune when certain families forget their yearly offerings, as well as favoritism and love, in form of protection and good fortune, when individuals pay their respects to it.

It may all be coincident, but the frequency and timing of such events are way too numerous and accurate to discredit. This why I initially thought that it couldn't simply be a power vortex.

In regards of the planned ritual, I choose midnight because I believe that is when the supernatural is most active, without a deliberate disregard to the tree on my part. The sacrificial animal I prepare is meant to comform with the local culture, which demands blood when one is dealing with the ancestors, landwights or spirits.
              I guess my aim here is to get acquaintanced and gain its favour.

Perhaps now I should dismiss my initial plan to ask it not to harm or grant curse requests. Instead, I will call upon it for protection and loan of energy should I need an extra spike in my power reserve.

There is an ancient stone altar at the base of the tree, where people would put their offerings and drip the first drops of blood from an animal during sacrifice. I'll do this, but also have a few barrels of water to mix with blood and pour it around the tree.

I bought a black rooster for the sacrifice, but I think I'll add a wild boar for the ritual. People who throw curses don't generally offer more than a young rooster when placing their request to the tree. So hopefully psychology will take over when they see the huge head of a wild boar with protection symbols attached to it on the tree.

If I can't stop the tree granting curse requests, then maybe I can discourage those who request it.

Would this be a better course to take?

Comment

There's a few things that stand out about this to me after reading various replies and the such. There is also the possibility that whatever entity that may seem to be there is in fact the creation of those people around it, and therefore does experience human-like emotion. Basically, if you believe in something strongly enough, it becomes the truth. At least for you. The convergent energies combined with the will of the people may have created the being that now resides there.

Now, why do you feel that it is up to you to dictate how it and others use it's energy? In a way it comes across as "this is how I feel and since you don't feel that way you're wrong and I'm going to stop you". What justification do you have to make this choice for everyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                  Now, why do you feel that it is up to you to dictate how it and others use it's energy? In a way it comes across as "this is how I feel and since you don't feel that way you're wrong and I'm going to stop you". What justification do you have to make this choice for everyone else?
                  I understand that such entity may not share moral codes as adhered by humans. However, as I described my assumption that it can feel human emotions to certain degree, I now plan to attempt in gaining its favour rather than giving it a command.

I have no justification for my intent other than sympathy for curse victims and my own moral code which may not be universally accepted.

I won't go into details over why people in a third world country like Indonesia are so inclined to curse others for small things like getting butthurt or staring contest, but utilizing such great power source to hurt others, while it can be used for good things, seems wrong to me.

It would be like using a hammer solely to knock people out when you can use it to build a house instead. I'm sure that as a fellow Asatruar, you understand this analogy.

Comment

Well, while I understand the analogy, there's a reason that I refer to myself as Northern Trad rather than Heathen or Asatruar now. I've found that there is so much more out there to be looked into than just limiting myself to the "good" and "pleasant" things. The Fenrir, Jormungandr, the Jotnar, Loki, and everything else that is thought of as Rokkatru. So the ideas of curses, hostile workings, and tapping into the malevolent are not things that I shy away from. The Northern Tradition is not flat, with just a single surface for the light to shine down upon. It has its dark sides as well, and is more like a spinning polyhedron where all its facets at one time or another are brought to the surface.

I tend to look at it as if it is morally wrong to you, then just don't do it, but don't try to inflict your morals apon someone else who obviously feels differently.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, while I understand the analogy, there's a reason that I refer to myself as Northern Trad rather than Heathen or Asatruar now. I've found that there is so much more out there to be looked into than just limiting myself to the "good" and "pleasant" things. The Fenrir, Jormungandr, the Jotnar, Loki, and everything else that is thought of as Rokkatru. So the ideas of curses, hostile workings, and tapping into the malevolent are not things that I shy away from. The Northern Tradition is not flat, with just a single surface for the light to shine down upon. It has its dark sides as well, and is more like a spinning polyhedron where all its facets at one time or another are brought to the surface.

I tend to look at it as if it is morally wrong to you, then just don't do it, but don't try to inflict your morals apon someone else who obviously feels differently.

Comment

You know it would have been nice to know about the altar and libations of blood being poured around the base of the tree to begin with. That actually changes the scenario quite a bit. Especially in the aspect a death road or death well could have been created on the site and the tree became the deep anchor. Potentially in a spirit sense of also becoming a dimensional gateway that is composed of both living energy and death energy. You don't mention it but I'd half expect there to be some offerings that were done of human blood, especially for some curse aspects. So you've got a whole lot more stuff going on here than your initial post would suggest.

Lets consider the idea of a death road or death well. If this place has been used for many generations and each has been placing blood offerings then you potentially have a crazy imbalance. Makes me wonder do the locals have a set custom in how they "Walk" to the tree or site. Figure for some situations such as blessing you approach from one side at a certain time. For the curse idea you approach from a different direction to call upon those energies. With the idea of a death road it would be common for things to be sacrificed to form a death trail. As such there are things that feed upon death, decay, etc that are not human. If it is done enough it becomes a place where predators simply lie in wait to feed upon what ever aspect it is they desire. Yet like the death roads of old Europe they also take on an air of their own and tend to be avoided by people except for when the corpse's are to be carried and buried.

So if one wants a curse which can create an energy similar to death that would be the best place to cast it. It's like going to the local graveyard and calling upon the restless dead and summoning them up with the promise of blood or release. What gets me is that the offering of a rooster is a psychological influence upon the people. It's an offering of blood and life in exchange for a service. What takes that offering could be anything. It could be a divinity. It could be a local land spirit. It could be a restless ancestor or community guardian. It could be some something like creature's of lore that lived upon human pain, fear, anger, hate, etc and were drawn to the place. Will not those get sort of iffy in that it's like a battle field, great feasting while the battle rages but then has to stimulate the emotions of people once the battle has passed. Personally I think that is why some places immediately cause such a depressing weight upon you when you enter them or go near them.

The placenta though that is different in many aspects. The placenta is like the egg in that it is fresh and vibrant life potential. It is unrealized potential in that life has been born but not lived. To some groups it is also the tie that binds from mother to child and generation to generation with it's memories and such. Consider the placenta is placed hoping for protection but it is possible it's also seen as a promise note that the life will be returned to some source at a later time. Yet it also has a darker aspect, that of purity and the fact the ancestor's are drawn to it under two purposes. For the protection aspect it calls upon the spirits, ghost and family egregore to watch over and protect the child born of it. It keeps the family going and the ancestors live through it and exist. Yet the negative is that it also angers and humiliates those spirits that have been abandoned, cursed or disowned. Probability wise i'd say the restless dead type scenario plays a fairly large role in this thing.

In some capacities your reference to using roosters as the offering typically reminds me of some aspects of Santeria / VouDun and other Afro-Caribbean disapora practices. Only have surface knowledge of those practices so can't really go indepth. I do know though like Wicca, they to form a sacred place where many things are done. Yet there is also an energy that lingers in those places. An energy that for want of a better analogy is like a light bulb, when used its bright and glowing producing heat. Yet when done the light begins to dim, it grows colder and harder to work with. Yet anything can be a source that makes it grow brighter if only for a few moments. Sacrifice would be such an event that makes it glow again though i'd have to say no where near as bright and hot as sacrificing a placenta. From my perspective make no mistake hanging the placenta and dripping its blood upon the altar is still a sacrifice but for a different purpose.

Call it a gut feeling but I wonder if in the distant past there was not a lot more done at that tree? The placing of the placenta is basically human sacrifice for the purpose of protection. In some capacity I would have to think that some form of human sacrifice may have actually been performed at that tree and the memory or idea of it crossed over into a less terrible manner. Yet the idea of blood sacrifice has lingered via the human blood from the placenta and the blood of the rooster.

What I think your missing though is that it is contained at the moment. Contained by the living tree on the spot and potentially within the strength of the altar. Sacrifice is brought to whatever is residing there vice it having to go hunting elsewhere for that sacrifice and blood. To me that makes it scary for it suggests whatever is there is old and somewhat inactive in that it no longer has to hunt. It's like some giant fish sitting in a river where the river brings all it needs to it and the fish is content to simply lay there and wait.

Now you want to go in and change the way it works. Not because it's a specific danger to things but because you do not like what is being done. Hanging a boar's head in the tree in hopes it drives away those who would make an offering to it. SO let me ask are you willing to take the chance of whatever it is becoming angered and hungry and going further afield to gain its blood sacrifice? Remove the easy feeding from a predator and it will go further and further afield to find fresh prey. It will also change the way it hunts and what it hunts through to get its desire. Are you ready for that aspect? Don't know what the predators are in your area but consider them being encouraged or "Ridden" by something else once it leaves it's little sacred tree area.

I get the sense that the tree and sacrifice maybe a whole lot more than what you think it is. Perhaps even in your peoples memories you'll find where some threat or danger was trapped at the place as a means of removing the danger to the people. Either way there is more to the picture than you are aware of I'd say and your working from what appears to be your desire not that of anyone else.

Comment

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Just where is the tree and altar actually located in relationship to the area? Is it in the town / city / village. Is it in an undeveloped area those type things when looking to where its at. For some reason I figure this is all either outside the area and rather remote to the actual village. Don't know the burial practices but also wonder what the relationship of any graveyards are to the tree. Especially if there is any sort of separation between those outcast or killed for justice type purposes by the community. I'd also ask what type of tree it actually is. That may be of importance to you from a cultural and psychological aspect. Relationship wise you would also want to know where any rivers are, bodies of water such as lakes. Even is the area volcanic in nature thus having vents and such that release steam, springs, etc that could carry gases and such from below ground to the surface.

2. How do the animals and such react around it? It's like a lot of times you can see animal paths that will intentionally circle around places. Other times you can see the trials in any plant life in the area. Along with animal trails on the ground is bird trails in the air and how they react to the area. Many times animals are a great indicator of energy and how it makes things "Feel" when in it or near it. One thing I wonder about is carrion birds. If blood, flesh and such is being offered under any sort of routine occurrence then the carrion birds would potentially change their habits to nest or remain in the area. Sort of like how sharks have been found to gather in certain areas where whaling used to take place and they feed freely.

3. May not be able to answer it but what type of material is the altar actually made from? Probably stone or rock but sometimes the actual material can be a clue. Along with type of material another question is how is the actual altar made. Sort of blood altars usually have some sort of collection site and veining for the blood to run in if it is to be collected. Well from those I've seen so it's an assumption on my part so don't take that for granted.

All of these, to me anyway, go into trying to figure out why the place and tree where chosen. Many times the why is more important than what is done there ie curses, blessings, etc. Assigning human emotional idea's to the entity does no good for all that is based upon the observers perspective. You are painting it as bad with anger, hurt, harm, etc which are your perceptions of what the actions are resulting in not how the entity itself may even view it much less acknowledge it. To you the curse is bad, to the person asking for the curse it is good, its all relative to perspective of the observer.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Niall_Leppu View Post
                        .. In regards of the planned ritual, I choose midnight because I believe that is when the supernatural is most active, without a deliberate disregard to the tree on my part. The sacrificial animal I prepare is meant to comform with the local culture, which demands blood when one is dealing with the ancestors, landwights or spirits.
                        I guess my aim here is to get acquaintanced and gain its favour. ..
                        Not sure why i keep coming back to this thread but I do so seems I am missing something.

This statement sort of jumped out at me this time, your perception of the supernatural being most active at night. Perhaps just me but I find it's not that things are anymore active during darkness than they are in light it's just that our perceptions tend to change. During the day we are capable of seeing and our logical mind discounts things quite easily. Yet in darkness we are nearly blinded almost to the point of being incapable of doing things. The end ends at the limits of our senses and visual ability and anything beyond that is "Unknown". Lets face it the unknown scares the heck out of most of us, simply because it is unknown and we can't place it within the limits of our knowledge and senses.

For many the notion of darkness also plays upon an almost primordial aspect of our makeup. One that is heavily exploited in many religions but especially early Christianity and the notion of Satan and his minions holding power in the shadow and darkness. Which to me personally is sort of hosed up in that it tries to paint the supernatural and natural world as being separate and only present at certain times of the day. It tends to ignore the fact that the supernatural world is present 24-7 just as the material world is present 24-7. Then our mental state becomes broken as part of the process of trying to separate the spiritual / supernatural world and the natural / material world. Yet for many if not all aboriginal or first nation type societies have always seen them as one and present at all times. So the spirit worker, shaman, medicine person, etc recognized and worked it as if they were all one and existed all at the same time.

If you approach things with the notion that darkness means the supernatural / spirit world is more active or present in my opinion your doomed to failure. It implies, to me anyway, that you see the world as during the light one part dominates until the sun goes down and the supernatural side holds sway until the sun creeps up over the horizon the next morning. The old perception of the caveman cowering in his cave as the wild beast roamed the night and the things that go bump in the night threatened and challenged him. Instilling that notion that he / she is weak in the darkness and holds no power unless the light is brought forth to burn away the shadows and darkness.

It also, again to me anyway, implies that you also admit the night or darkness holds a power that is beyond you and you enter as a weaker partner / opponent. Your own psychological traits being played against you and reaching deep into your primordial memories. That and to a degree a perception that dark equals bad or evil which means you fail to see the light within the darkness and worse see the darkness that exists within the light.

Mindset has to be changed otherwise you are already at the mercy of what ever lingers in that darkness your own doubts and mind has already made dark.

- - - Updated - - -

From my own perspective that is why it's so difficult to drop earlier religious programming. One reason I truly think so many have such a difficult time of letting go of Christianity and embracing a pagan / occult pathwalk. You have to realize you walk in both light and darkness and neither is good nor bad but only points around the daily calendar. As such what is found in both places does not mean it will harm or aid only that it is there and has to be acknowledged for what it is not what others have suggested it might be and who will protect you and forgive you when you screw up.

Comment

Originally posted by Niall_Leppu View Post
                          Thank you for the responses. They bring a lot more things into consideration prior to the ritual, as it is yet to be performed.

All possibilities described above are quite likely to be the actual case; I personally thought the tree housed an entity, might be an egregore or a landwight, that has been empowered by an energy vortex, age and deep beliefs throughout generations by so many locals.
                          On the side note, the local belief system and culture do not really have or define "creation" of entities. Rather, it simply is there as part of the world, summoned a long time ago or "placed" (not created) there by some spiritually powerful person.

I should also add, that this being seems to be capable of human emotions. Like anger and punishement in form of severe misfortune when certain families forget their yearly offerings, as well as favoritism and love, in form of protection and good fortune, when individuals pay their respects to it.

It may all be coincident, but the frequency and timing of such events are way too numerous and accurate to discredit. This why I initially thought that it couldn't simply be a power vortex.

In regards of the planned ritual, I choose midnight because I believe that is when the supernatural is most active, without a deliberate disregard to the tree on my part. The sacrificial animal I prepare is meant to comform with the local culture, which demands blood when one is dealing with the ancestors, landwights or spirits.
                          I guess my aim here is to get acquaintanced and gain its favour.

Perhaps now I should dismiss my initial plan to ask it not to harm or grant curse requests. Instead, I will call upon it for protection and loan of energy should I need an extra spike in my power reserve.

There is an ancient stone altar at the base of the tree, where people would put their offerings and drip the first drops of blood from an animal during sacrifice. I'll do this, but also have a few barrels of water to mix with blood and pour it around the tree.

I bought a black rooster for the sacrifice, but I think I'll add a wild boar for the ritual. People who throw curses don't generally offer more than a young rooster when placing their request to the tree. So hopefully psychology will take over when they see the huge head of a wild boar with protection symbols attached to it on the tree.

If I can't stop the tree granting curse requests, then maybe I can discourage those who request it.

Would this be a better course to take?
                          Monsno beat me to it again, so I wont rehash what he's said.

There is one thing I would like to highlight though... given what you've said about the entity (and I'm less and less inclined to think it's a tree or landvaettr)... do you really want to be tying your energy to it? If you do this ritual, you will become one of the people who is supposed to be tithing to it annually. Do you actually want that?

I have no knowledge of Indonesian folklore whatsoever, but the sort of entity you're describing is not unknown in European folklore. If it has been regularly fed through a community offering bowl as well as the placentas, and if it shows it's favour or disfavour depending on regularity of payments made... be very careful buying into that.

I don't know your community, so I don't know if the boar will deter anyone... you will need to examine the folklore and community attitude about such things carefully before you attempt it. Also consider the fact that your community's traditions have existed for hundreds of years... do you really expect to change them?

Personally, I wouldn't be tying myself to this entity in any way unless it seriously benefitted my relationship with the landvaettr and I could ensure continuing offerings for my lifetime. Just be aware of how these entities work. The reason it becomes community tradition is that once you've paid it, it expects you to continue. And in many cases, it expects your children to continue (who you've tied to it by giving it their placenta as well as the tie via your own essence). So it goes on down the line until someone is skilled enough to break the ties, or moves far enough away from it, or dies or stops having children. Think very carefully about this before you do it.

Comment

Working...
                          X